Lower Gearing on a Genesis CdF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
You got me there, put it down to fear of the unknown or just laziness

Ajax Bay

Guru
I decided against a triple as it would have meant a new derailleur plus fitting the brifters . . . . The super compact looks good quality.
fitting brifters is no hassle, and mechs are not expensive.
I'm adherent to the KISS principle
KISS rather than indolence or fear of the unknown, I suggest. OP may have needed a new BB (for a triple as well).
Your 46-30 super compact choice seems a good one and paired with an 11-32 that gives you 25" - 111" gear length.
I assume you have found that your current Sora FD works OK even on that smaller 'large' chainring.

KISS rather than indolence or fear of the unknown, I suggest. OP may have needed a new BB (for a triple as well).
Your 46-30 super compact choice seems a good one and paired with an 11-32 that gives you 25" - 111" gear length.
I assume you have found that your current Sora FD works OK even on that smaller 'large' chainring.
Nope both 113mm BB certainly for this triple crank I have http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p3051/SPA-CYCLES-TD-2-Touring-Cranks, triples are no more complex than a double.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Spa Cycles said it would, I will find out this when I fit the new stuff.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
I have finally fitted the new crankset, when I opened the box the crank arm bolts were missing. Spa Cycles were very quick and the bolts were in the post the same day. I then had to wait for the weekend and finally had time on Sunday.

Everything went on quickly and without any problems. I didn't have to shorten the chain or lower the FD.

I am loving the new gearing, it certainly suits my riding style. Plus having to fit the new stuff spurred me on to clean the bike in minute detail, so it felt especially good to be out on a sparkling machine.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Yes, I'm very happy, my cadence is up from about 83 to around 86. Plus I feel better generally cycling, knowing I have an ultra low gear set when I encounter a hill that used to look daunting.

Top Bottom