Lubricating your Drive Chain - what do you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Prolink Gold. Not cheap but lasts well. Brilliant results for me all year round
^^^^^ this.
One drop per chain roller using hypodermic. Also use on all pivot points on the bike - eg brake pivots, gear mechs etc. Used exclusively on 4 bikes, on 3 from new.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Another fan of Prolink Gold.
Use it on all my own bikes. Other family members who CBA to do their own maintenance and rely on me for such things get something cheaper.

Tom B

Guru
On the commuter bike which sees daily use I use weldtite wet lube every 3-4 days (purple cap). They do an extreme wet version which I have tried and find it too sticky and snotty, it picks up too much crap for my liking. On the Mtb I use the same stuff but if I'm out on a very wet ride, I take it with me and add regularly as I have found it doesn't like being without.

I try and wash it off, or at least mickle it once a week especially in the current poor conditions.

The bike is an 8 speed and Shimano or KMC chains cost under four quid so I just change them as soon as they get to 0.75 and don't worry too much.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
One drop per chain roller using hypodermic.

Alternatively, if you have any of these left over from an old inkjet refill kit, they're pretty good for use with Prolink:

s-l225.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Car engine oil. I have a half gallon the wrong grade for my car. It is fine as chain oil, and I am happy to slosh a load on and use it has chain cleaner wiping off the excess - the Mickle method. I doubt I will ever run out of oil

OP, you didn't specify if you were vegan or not. Plant-based oils are not as efficient as turkey dripping IMO, but if you don't have the choice, I recommend sticking with rapeseed oil. It has a higher oxalate content, which makes the oil lighter and the bike quicker going downhill.

OP
OP
LeetleGreyCells

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Thanks for all the replies. Progold seems very popular so I will price it up followed by the next popular to see how prices compare. :okay:

ChrisEyles

Guru
I used to use "proper" chain oil but switched to chainsaw oil after reading the recommendation on here. Can't tell the difference in terms of smoothness, longevity of chain, and rust prevention, and the chainsaw oil is a lot cheaper.

I did once use a thicker semi-dry lube and that just seemed to make a lot of mess and attract a lot of dirt. Thin-ish oil seems better at cleaning off the chain and you don't want too much stuck to the chain when you're done anyway.

As mentioned before, the mickle method (search the forum) is the way forward for chain maintenance.

Top Bottom