Luggage - Panniers - frame bags etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Getting a new bike so i might just upgrade some of my vintage luggage - shocked to realise some of it is over 25 years old.

Where is hot, for good bags? - and where is not? - I know about Alpkit - I may well go with them.

Any other good recommends??

Probably just front panniers to start - I like to keep things skinny - so i don't have to take it all off on trains - but I take the full lightweight camping set up - about 12 kg ( without water) in total.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Anything by Ortlieb is quality.
Alpkit as you’ve mentioned is excellent too.

Last edited:

froze

Über Member
Ortliebs are indeed expensive, are they the best though? that's arguable. But due to the price I skipped those and went with Axiom Monsoon Hydracore 45's but I also got them on sale for $119 for the pair. The Monsoon's are designed like a dry bag, and they successfully kept the inside of the bag dry during a 4 hour ride in a downpour coming home once from a mini tour, and that was without the optional rain cover! Even my Topeak Tourguide DX with the rain cover on got damp inside, so the Monsoon's work very well at keeping water out. The retaining system also works very well, but I like to make sure the bags stay firmly on so I used short small bungee cords with the hooks, which I had to use anyways to secure my tent ( also in a trash bag) to the top of the rack, so while I'm securing my top load I simply reinforce the panniers so they don't bounce around. I have nothing negative to say about those bags after using them a lot this past summer. Now if you are only doing a bike tour one time a cheaper pannier will work just fine, and to add water proof protection just do as I'll explain below.

As a side note I do use a 30 gallon plastic trash bag inside the Monsoon's as a liner, it serves a dual role, the most important role for me is that the trash bag keeps anything that might leak from staining and gunking up the inside of the bag; it also serves as another water barrier but in that storm I went through it would have done nothing in that regard because nothing got wet or even remotely damp. Because I am paranoid about things getting wet or stuff leaking outward, I put all my stuff in ziplock bags.

Rack wise I also use the Tubus rack, not sure if there is one that is equal to that rack. The issue with racks is aluminum racks are known to break at the welds depending on the weight being carried and the amount of jarring the rack is enduring. Also AL racks are not as stiff as steel and a steel rack can actually stiffen up the back and forth (swaying) motion that the rear triangle can go through when riding with a load on the rear and going fast like down a hill. So since my bike was built in 85 and the rear triangle on older touring bikes were known to sway which it did when I tried using the stock AL rack, though it wasn't violent swaying but I decided to go with the steel and never noticed any swaying after that. The original AL rack was a Blackburn model contracted by Schwinn.

When doing backpacking or bike camping there are certain items you don't want to go cheap on, the most critical are your bags, followed by your tent. While you can find a very good tent for around $100 or so like the Alps Mountaineering Mystique 1.5 (person tent, the extra 1/2 gives you room to store your panniers inside) tent works very well in all sorts of weather. I also didn't go cheap on my sleeping pad because I have a back problem so I got the Therm-a-Rest Neo Camper which is thicker but heavier but it was worth as I found out sleeping on it and not having pain in the morning. But other stuff like sleeping bag and camping cooking gear can be found rather cheap and work fine, in fact I got a lot of my stuff from Walmart including my sleeping bag! Food you don't have to buy expensive (and salty) camping food, there is all sorts of stuff in the regular isles of the grocery store that are in foil packages for microwaving that you can cook easily on a camping stove and cost far less per meal. You would be surprised at what food you can get that while in neat foil packaging that does cost more then stuff you have to put in a frige to keep but the stuff is still cheaper than camping food. Camping food can cost $7 to $9 per meal, the foil stuff and some Top Ramen a meal might cost you $3 to $4; I take eggs, and in America they wash the skin off which shortens the life of the egg if left unfrigerated but they're fine for up to 3 days, 2 days if above 80 degrees F.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu1CMjmSY9I

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wT8OZVTEWk
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4FY8YO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ivo

Getting a new bike so i might just upgrade some of my vintage luggage - shocked to realise some of it is over 25 years old.

Where is hot, for good bags? - and where is not? - I know about Alpkit - I may well go with them.

Any other good recommends??

Probably just front panniers to start - I like to keep things skinny - so i don't have to take it all off on trains - but I take the full lightweight camping set up - about 12 kg ( without water) in total.

When it's hot it doesn't mean that it's good. In fact, vintage luggage isn't an issue at all. I regularily buy old Karrimor kit from Ebay simply because I prefer it for touring and it's not made anymore. My first choice is still a set of front and rear panniers, with waterproof canoo-style bags inside for the items which should stay dry. The items which should breathe are simply stored inside the breathable bag.
That said, you know why I don't like Ortlieb ;). Also Ortlieb bags are less securely attachable to a bike rack. I trust neither of the standard approaches but the Karrimor panniers have a lot more options to strap them down securely to the rack.
Alpkit and other bikebacking gear look ridiculous, take ages to install and are hard to reach. Plus they install the weight where you don't want it, high on your bike and not low. For lightweight touring I just use a rackpack and barbag. Installs within seconds and is securely fitted, you can't say that from a swaying bikepack bag.

robjh

Legendary Member
I've recently started to use Ortlieb rear panniers for touring, in place of an Altura set that are now rather threadbare after 10 years' regular use.
The Ortlieb ones seem well made and sturdy, and are superbly waterproof, but my one gripe is the absence of pockets accessible from the outside - at times it would be good to be able to get small things - gloves, snack food, etc - without opening and unrolling the whole top of a pannier.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I have the 2014 version of these.
Bombproof. Completely waterproof. Although a little on the heavy side...2.5kg for the pair whereas ortliebs I believe are a little under 2kg for the pair.
Mine cost me £45 delivered 4 years ago but it seems the manufacturers have become as greedy as every other bag maker and are now charging £65 plus £5 delivery which is extortionate imo.
Good bags though.
Re extra pockets. I'm one of those rare people who prefer the one big compartment. Personally I view extra pockets means extra stitching which means extra seams which are extra weak points to go faulty. I also find that I forget what I've put where and end up having to undo everything just to find something. As an extra precaution I pack things in separate drybags which are labelled with a sharpie as 'kitchen', 'clothing' etc.

Last edited:

stalagmike

Enormous member
I've heard good things about Crosso bags. Sort of mid priced but reliable. I don't own any though so can't vouch for them.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
When it's hot it doesn't mean that it's good. In fact, vintage luggage isn't an issue at all. I regularily buy old Karrimor kit from Ebay simply because I prefer it for touring and it's not made anymore. My first choice is still a set of front and rear panniers, with waterproof canoo-style bags inside for the items which should stay dry. The items which should breathe are simply stored inside the breathable bag.
That said, you know why I don't like Ortlieb ;). Also Ortlieb bags are less securely attachable to a bike rack. I trust neither of the standard approaches but the Karrimor panniers have a lot more options to strap them down securely to the rack.
Alpkit and other bikebacking gear look ridiculous, take ages to install and are hard to reach. Plus they install the weight where you don't want it, high on your bike and not low. For lightweight touring I just use a rackpack and barbag. Installs within seconds and is securely fitted, you can't say that from a swaying bikepack bag.

i mainly agree - it looks kinda gnarly - but all those attached by straps, to the frame bags would drive me nuts - especially when its raining and my fingers are cold - and i just want to get the frkkn tent up.

My current luggage 'system' - otherwise known as luggage - comprises relatively small panniers front and back - the front ones were made by a small British company - called 'Freedom' back in the Triassic period - I've fixed them now so many times that they are more 'fix' than original bag - but they have what was quite an innovative U bend attachment over the front wheel - attached with velcro which is still good ..

The back ones are lightweights from ( i cant remember who) not particularly cheap, but still the attachments came off after one trip - they were only glued not stitched through- genius !! ( not) for when you are hastily stuffing stuff, to get back on the road - i restiched them properly.

My tent and sleeping pad go horizontally strapped on the back rack , in an alpkit minimalist back pack, so i can use that for on-foot over-nighters if i wish - or day walk diversions into ( for me) uncyclable country.
Any thing that totally must stay dry ( sleeping bag , spare clothes etc) goes in dry bags - I wouldnt trust any pannier 100% - plus you then dont have the risk of stuff getting wet when rummaging through panniers in the rain.

I'm talking a lot about rain here - but i'm generaly pretty lucky with weather on my trips -
either that or i just cycle sooo fast that the drops don't hit me :rolleyes:

I use an old Blackburn aluminium rear rack and a Tubus Tara front. Both are strong and reliable. The Tara loop design is stiffer, stronger and lighter than two part front panniers that bolt to each side and can also pack down onto a small cardboard tube.
With rear racks I like a raised loop at the front to stop my tent falling forward, and big enough to stow the curve of a shackle lock on the rack top. I like rear lamp brackets, non adjustable legs of the correct height, about 1-2cm above the rear mudguard. The stays to the frame need to be stiff, not bendy, esp if your rack eyelets are not level in height with the rack

I use small ortleibs and large carradice panniers. Both are good . In cold wet the ortleibs have it. In tropical humidity the carradice are more breathable and less prone to mildew. Ortleibs are better for cleaning off spilt pesto. You can also use them as washing bowls.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Ortliebs are indeed expensive, are they the best though? that's arguable. But due to the price I skipped those and went with Axiom Monsoon Hydracore 45's but I also got them on sale for $119 for the pair. The Monsoon's are designed like a dry bag, and they successfully kept the inside of the bag dry during a 4 hour ride in a downpour coming home once from a mini tour, and that was without the optional rain cover! Even my Topeak Tourguide DX with the rain cover on got damp inside, so the Monsoon's work very well at keeping water out. The retaining system also works very well, but I like to make sure the bags stay firmly on so I used short small bungee cords with the hooks, which I had to use anyways to secure my tent ( also in a trash bag) to the top of the rack, so while I'm securing my top load I simply reinforce the panniers so they don't bounce around. I have nothing negative to say about those bags after using them a lot this past summer. Now if you are only doing a bike tour one time a cheaper pannier will work just fine, and to add water proof protection just do as I'll explain below.

As a side note I do use a 30 gallon plastic trash bag inside the Monsoon's as a liner, it serves a dual role, the most important role for me is that the trash bag keeps anything that might leak from staining and gunking up the inside of the bag; it also serves as another water barrier but in that storm I went through it would have done nothing in that regard because nothing got wet or even remotely damp. Because I am paranoid about things getting wet or stuff leaking outward, I put all my stuff in ziplock bags.

Rack wise I also use the Tubus rack, not sure if there is one that is equal to that rack. The issue with racks is aluminum racks are known to break at the welds depending on the weight being carried and the amount of jarring the rack is enduring. Also AL racks are not as stiff as steel and a steel rack can actually stiffen up the back and forth (swaying) motion that the rear triangle can go through when riding with a load on the rear and going fast like down a hill. So since my bike was built in 85 and the rear triangle on older touring bikes were known to sway which it did when I tried using the stock AL rack, though it wasn't violent swaying but I decided to go with the steel and never noticed any swaying after that. The original AL rack was a Blackburn model contracted by Schwinn.

When doing backpacking or bike camping there are certain items you don't want to go cheap on, the most critical are your bags, followed by your tent. While you can find a very good tent for around $100 or so like the Alps Mountaineering Mystique 1.5 (person tent, the extra 1/2 gives you room to store your panniers inside) tent works very well in all sorts of weather. I also didn't go cheap on my sleeping pad because I have a back problem so I got the Therm-a-Rest Neo Camper which is thicker but heavier but it was worth as I found out sleeping on it and not having pain in the morning. But other stuff like sleeping bag and camping cooking gear can be found rather cheap and work fine, in fact I got a lot of my stuff from Walmart including my sleeping bag! Food you don't have to buy expensive (and salty) camping food, there is all sorts of stuff in the regular isles of the grocery store that are in foil packages for microwaving that you can cook easily on a camping stove and cost far less per meal. You would be surprised at what food you can get that while in neat foil packaging that does cost more then stuff you have to put in a frige to keep but the stuff is still cheaper than camping food. Camping food can cost $7 to $9 per meal, the foil stuff and some Top Ramen a meal might cost you $3 to $4; I take eggs, and in America they wash the skin off which shortens the life of the egg if left unfrigerated but they're fine for up to 3 days, 2 days if above 80 degrees F.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu1CMjmSY9I

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wT8OZVTEWk
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B4FY8YO/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes I'd agree re sleeping pad - I too have a luxe neo air - worth every gramme for a good nights sleep.

Plus one of those Yankee lightweight , but bombproof Tarp Tents - ok not so cheap - but still only the price of 6 nights in a mid range b&B - after that its free accommodation - that goes up in a moment.

Day pack on backrack ( containing tent and sleeping pad) goes encased in heavy duty plastic bag to repel road grime , and wetness .
Most of my kit is also used for lightweight back packing too, so dinky little lightweight meths stoves, and dry meals - with a few luxuries added are the norm anyhows.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thanks for all your input guys - this is where forums like this come into their own - every company will sell their goods as being 'The Cats Pajamas' -

Real life is somewhat different ^_^

I look forward to reading all your contributions ( and hopefully more :okay:) properly, once I've completed my Saturday chores ... It is Saturday isn't it??

Top Bottom