Lycra or Normal clothes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S.Giles

To avoid the risk that others may become jealous of my legs, I've taken a solemn lifetime vow never to wear lycra.

Seriously though, last year I completed two 100 mile runs wearing jeans and Doc Marten-type boots with no problems at all. I regularly do a 37 mile run in my civvies.

I use my bike predominantly for transport and can't show up looking like Lance or Bradley.

Steve

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Ride around town in ordinary clothes but wear cycling kit if going further.

Lycra doesnt soak up sweat like cotton does and if it rains Lycra drys quickly.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Transport, usually regular clothes.
Sport, usually lycra.
It seems that all the large fellows in my area that wear lycra
drop it off at a thrift store I get to every now and then,
so I am very well supplied with truly high end lycra.

robjh

Legendary Member
Going to the shops = normal clothes. That might involve a 20-mile round trip but so what.
For longer non-lycra rides like that I'd probably wear lighter trousers rather than jeans, apart from in cold weather. I won't bomb around as fast in normal clothing but it's horses for courses.

S.Giles

I love putting in my Lycra!!
Must cause a stir in the clubhouse.

Simontm

Veteran
If popping a few miles down the road, happy to wear trouser tucked into boots, jacket etc. commute and over ten mile runs wear Lycra as, even in is weather, my body core goes into overdrive. And as has been said it's quicker to dry then cotton if it rains.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Anyone else favour the sequined ball gown for short jaunts?

That`s a bit OTT but I did buy myself this little beauty of a womens jersey yesterday :shy:

Mor_RUEWJ.jpg

S.Giles

Wouldn't go to the shops on a bike that's what a car is for..
Judging by the horrendous traffic-jams I cycle straight past in Tesco's car park (Doncaster city centre), most people would agree with you. There's no way on Earth I want to join that lot, all sat motionless, slowly fattening-up in their metal boxes, though.

Normal clothes for me, not jeans so much, combat trousers, the ones with all the pockets, because they say to wear whatever you feel comfortable in, and I'd feel a fraud in lycra, wearing all the gear while puffing and panting my way red-faced up every hill.:wacko:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Normal clothes every time, although I will stealthily switch to more technical clothes (padded undershirts, bamboo t- shirt, wool top...) if doing more like fifty miles than five.

Lycra dries quicker? Why not wear a coat? ;)

Top Bottom