Magner's cider.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
darkstar said:
Whey! Another opportunity for the beer snobs to vent. 'I only drink the proper stuff, because i'm not like everyone else' haha. People drink Magners with lots of ice becuase it's cold and refreshing on a hot summers day, more so than that expensive 'proper' cider you can buy and drink at room temperature. Same reason people drink freezing cold larger, the temperature takes away the slightly off taste to produce a refreshing beverage. I like all beers, stouts, ales, larger etc but please can people stop this snobbish 'proper' beer attitude, it's just ridiculous.

Magners is horrible, though. I don't mind other folk drinking it - drink what you like - as long as they're aware that it is to cider what chicken nuggets are to roast chicken.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Products like Magners are just the tip of the iceberg of industrial food and drink. I have worked for 30 years in the flavour and fragrance industry and I know how, with a few well-chosen chemical ingredients, it is possible to transform shiploads of the world's main industrial commodities of water, carbohydrate, sugar, fat, oil and protein into something that the majority of consumers will find appetising. Thus the massive industries that supply these commodities are able to add quite staggering amounts of value to their shipload - see Unilever, Kraft, CPC Foods, etc.

darkstar

Rhythm Thief said:
Magners is horrible, though. I don't mind other folk drinking it - drink what you like - as long as they're aware that it is to cider what chicken nuggets are to roast chicken.
I don't particularly like it either, but I will never claim that it's not a 'proper' cider and therefore look down on it and anyone who drinks it, especially cold! Who would have the nerve, ey?

There are basically just some downright tiresome, dull, predicable people on these forums, with major superiority complexes. ;)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Globalti said:
I know how, with a few well-chosen chemical ingredients, it is possible to transform shiploads of the world's main industrial commodities of water, carbohydrate, sugar, fat, oil and protein into something that the majority of consumers will find appetising.

A bit like Sunny Delight whose additives turned a child orange and whose original formulation paid lip service to fruit content?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
The stroke of genius with Sunny Delight was that the manufacturer managed to persuade the retailers to sell it from the chilled cabinet, giving it a "natural" attribute.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
battered said:
About 5-10 years ago cider was dead as a drink.

Seems to be cyclical though - as I can remember the intoduction of Autumn Gold cider (late 80's ??)

Taunton Cider were advertising their "Cool Cider" before that - the advert (with Paul Nicholas voiceover no less) shows a small glass + ice.

The target market for Magners is 18 - 34 ABC1 (slight male slant) though the adverts show no gender bias (compare this to Autumn Gold - two lads in a pub and a ship full of mates shouting Autumn Gold, Autumn Gold)

It was also being marketed as a year round drink - not just a summer beverage, when cider consumption traditionally increases

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
threebikesmcginty said:
That was 'Woodpecker cider, Hereford lightning' time too wasn't it?

Based only on the evidence of a Beer Mat that is for sale on Ebay at the moment - in my opinion this might have been earlier - advert describes the beer mat as having 1980 on one side AND an order form for cufflinks!

Ads on YouTube say

1986 for the "For the Wild Life" campaign (Woodpeckers in a house looking at people in trees and then partying around a bird table with drinks on)

Early 90's for the "Refreshing Change" campaign - Ducks / Bus Stop vs. XR3i driver etc

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
darkstar said:
I don't particularly like it either, but I will never claim that it's not a 'proper' cider and therefore look down on it and anyone who drinks it, especially cold! Who would have the nerve, ey?

There are basically just some downright tiresome, dull, predicable people on these forums, with major superiority complexes. ;)

Or on the other hand, some people don't like to admit that they aren't the heroic individuals making free choices that they imagine themselves to be and are in fact the victims of marketing. Taste is constructed through culture, family, peer-groups and yes, media. It isn't just 'natural'. We learn to like what we like, and we can learn to like different, and yes, better (in the sense of more complex, sophisticated) things. Such things also tend to involve passion, skill and craft in the making - and not just in the selling.

c2c

redredrobin
Flying_Monkey said:
Or on the other hand, some people don't like to admit that they aren't the heroic individuals making free choices that they imagine themselves to be and are in fact the victims of marketing. Taste is constructed through culture, family, peer-groups and yes, media. It isn't just 'natural'. We learn to like what we like, and we can learn to like different, and yes, better (in the sense of more complex, sophisticated) things. Such things also tend to involve passion, skill and craft in the making - and not just in the selling.

At the beginning of your statement should you perhaps have put, "In my opinion", or are you suitably qualified to state the above.

Top Bottom