Magner's cider.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
darkstar said:
I don't particularly like it either, but I will never claim that it's not a 'proper' cider and therefore look down on it and anyone who drinks it, especially cold! Who would have the nerve, ey?

There are basically just some downright tiresome, dull, predicable people on these forums, with major superiority complexes. ;)

I'm not looking down on anyone who drinks this stuff; like I say, it's no skin off my nose. But you shouldn't let anyone tell you that it's proper cider: that's made with apples, not industrial apple slurry and glucose.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
See, life is too short for cheap beer!

I agree !

Life is too short to drink cheap anything.

Very many years ago, I had an ancient Aunty; she used to own a grocer's shop, in which she sold loose tea. There were dozens of varieties; many customers would chose different types and blend their own. Today, it is hard to get anything other than teabags. So many things seem to have been 'improved', but to whose advantage ?

As a family, we frequently cycle out to a privately-owned tea/coffee shop; the tea is loose-leaf and I get an extra pot of hot water to top it up. The tea is brilliant, far better than the tea bags that most places use. Sadly, such places are rare.

My missus will only drink 'proper' coffee; yes, it costs a little more, but it is only a little. Since I've known her, she's educated me as to the many different varieties of coffee - different flavours and strength etc.etc.

I still prefer beer though ;)

I just wish that those who drink Creamflow, Smoothflow, Stella, Magners etc, would look beyond those drinks and try the likes of Bishop's Farewell, Bitburger, Westons/Dunkertons cider. They might be pleasantly surprised. They might actually taste something.

pubrunner said:
I just wish that those who drink Creamflow, Smoothflow, Stella, Magners etc, would look beyond those drinks and try the likes of Bishop's Farewell, Bitburger, Westons/Dunkertons cider. They might be pleasantly surprised. They might actually taste something.

I agree. I worked in a pub when Caffrey's first appeared and I remember everyone going mad for it. The appeal was always a complete mystery to me, especially as we had Burton Ale (back when it tasted of something) and two other real beers on tap.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Slightly OT, Roger protz was bemoaning the fact that 7 or 8 of the top 10 finalists in Beer of the Year were golden IPAs at the expense of the traditional brown bitter ale. Possibly because the brewers feel it can draw off (arf arf) some of the younger lager boys.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
I'm not looking down on anyone who drinks this stuff; like I say, it's no skin off my nose. But you shouldn't let anyone tell you that it's proper cider: that's made with apples, not industrial apple slurry and glucose.

+1

Sadly, the situation today is that through the power of Marketing; many people actually believe it is the Magners etc. that is the 'proper' stuff. 'Real' cider is seen as 'scrumpy' and an inferior product.

If presented with a pint of sparkling fizzy Magners and a pint of hazy (which is natural) 'real' cider; most people will go for the Magners. (Style over substance) Taste doesn't come into it.

. . . . . . . which is sad in my opinion.

Wolf04

pubrunner said:
We soon ditched the 'Tartan Bitter' and decided to sell a Real Ale alongside the Border Bitter.

In the early 70's I visited my first ever pub The Alma Hotel, Willington Quay and ordered a pint of Tartan. Why Tartan? It was the only one I recognised from TV advertising. That TV has got a lot to answer for! Tried a sentimental Tartan Special a few years ago on a visit to Edinburgh, it hasn't improved xx(xx(;)

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
I agree. I worked in a pub when Caffrey's first appeared and I remember everyone going mad for it. The appeal was always a complete mystery to me, especially as we had Burton Ale (back when it tasted of something) and two other real beers on tap.

A case of the Emperor's new clothes ?

pubrunner said:
A case of the Emperor's new clothes ?

Certainly. Around the same time, I went to a pub in Yorkshire not two miles from the Timothy Taylor's brewery. I remember my uncle being quite shocked when I insisted I wanted a pint of Landlord rather than this miracle beer he'd seen advertised on the telly.
Do they still make Caffrey's?B)

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Do they still make Caffrey's?B)

Yes, they still make Caffrey's, but they've lowered the abv. It'll soon be pushed again in a new advertising campaign. . . . . .

'Taste of an ale, as smooth as a stout, cold as a lager'

Beamish stout is another similar product which became popular at the same time as Caffrey's. I think that it has been taken over by Heineken. Heineken already brew Murphy's Stout, so it could be that either brand could disappear.

Beamish, Caffrey's and Murphy's all became popular when (after heavy advertising) there was a mini-boom for stout. Just as there was for Australian lagers in the 80s and just as there is for some ciders now.

The power of advertising eh ?

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Rhythm Thief said:
The appeal was always a complete mystery to me

Marketed as a brew that could served as cold as lager, had a texture as smooth as stout and a taste of an ale

So a smooth, cold ale - not everyones cup of tea, or indeed beer

I can recall drinking it at the time because it was new, an alternative etc etc, but can't say I have ever got on with the smooth texture of any type of beer

BTW - was it the first to feature the widget in the can?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
philipbh said:
Marketed as a brew that could served as cold as lager, had a texture as smooth as stout and a taste of an ale

So a smooth, cold ale - not everyones cup of tea, or indeed beer

I can recall drinking it at the time because it was new, an alternative etc etc, but can't say I have ever got on with the smooth texture of any type of beer

BTW - was it the first to feature the widget in the can?

Imagine, some people actually bought/buy cans of beer containing a nitrogen widget, to get the 'real taste of beer at home'. In other words, it is a sort of imitation keg beer. An imitation of another imitation.

You couldn't make it up.

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
pubrunner said:
Imagine, some people actually bought/buy cans of beer containing a nitrogen widget, to get the 'real taste of beer at home'. In other words, it is a sort of imitation keg beer. An imitation of another imitation.

You couldn't make it up.

Widget patented in 1969 by all accounts (well, Wikipedia)

The "new" floating ball type doesn't suffer the same inadequacies of the fixed widget of earlier developments that RT alludes to, when the liquid was required to be cold before opening.

In context though - before we had our 24 hour culture and most tinned beers tasted of the tin, this was probably great development in "beverage delivery solutions".

In my opinion, still no match for the hand pumped or gravity fed variety (or even the crown topped bottle) B)

philipbh said:
In context though - before we had our 24 hour culture and most tinned beers tasted of the tin, this was probably great development in "beverage delivery solutions".

I'm not sure about that. Tinned Guinness at least tastes of something, and I for one will still buy non widget Guinness over the bland shaving cream that is widgetised Guinness. But if I'm buying Guinness at all (usually for cooking with), I'll buy the Foreign Export stuff.:ohmy:

In my opinion, still no match for the hand pumped or gravity fed variety (or even the crown topped bottle) B)

Yes, absolutely.

Top Bottom