Magner's cider.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

pubrunner said:
I just wish that those who drink Creamflow, Smoothflow, Stella, Magners etc, would look beyond those drinks and try the likes of Bishop's Farewell, Bitburger, Westons/Dunkertons cider. They might be pleasantly surprised. They might actually taste something.
Maybe those who drink those which you list have tried other beers, but they still like the Smoothflow / Magners as well. I like lemonade and ginger beer, the two are not mutually exclusive. I like Ribena and Robinsons, and there are times that I like the taste and experience of Smoothflow or Magners and other times that I'll seek out a pub just because it sells TEA. I've just finished a keg of Ascot's Posh Pooch but that doesn't stop me from drinking Creamflow when I'm out for a pint.

My garage has several cases of Franziskaner Dunkel, Staropramen and Hoegaarden, but I also drink Bulmers cider and pear cider because I like it at this time of year.

I don't think much of Weston's Vintage, for instance, it's a touch tart and dry for my taste.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I clearly have no taste, but then I expected that anyway, I've imbibed lots of different beers/lagers/wines at some point in my life. I dislike cider, of any description, with a vengeance, but then I start to heave at the smell of apple juice. Sadly cider, and pernod, were two casualties of my early drinking experiences. As in, so sick, I couldn't face them ever again:biggrin:

I enjoy Fosters, Budweiser(I prefer the US to the original:o), Guiness and those little stubby bottles on 'continental' lager you get in the supermarkets, whichever one's cheap at the time. I've found my enjoyment of white wines has diminished over the years and I do pay the price for red wine the next day. I also enjoy port with even harsher consequences. The only thing I've never really aquired a taste for is spirits.

But I'm getting seriously out of practice, I probably had a drink on about 5 occasions this year. I haven't been properly sozzled since Whitstable last year.

Debian said:
I posted in haste.

I was referring to the Fosters, Stellas, etc of the "lager" world. I know there are some nice "proper" lagers but that's not what most people think of in this country - lager = Stella, etc.

And it has to be served ice cold otherwise it tastes like shite!

Agreed, the only good lager is a chilled one. Being a bitter boy I rarely venture, though Czech Budvar as someone mentioned and Chimay are very nice.

My own favourite is a good IPA, most of which are best served chilled in my book. Deuchars and Sam Smiths.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Norm said:
Maybe those who drink those which you list have tried other beers, but they still like the Smoothflow / Magners as well. I like lemonade and ginger beer, the two are not mutually exclusive. I like Ribena and Robinsons, and there are times that I like the taste and experience of Smoothflow or Magners and other times that I'll seek out a pub just because it sells TEA. I've just finished a keg of Ascot's Posh Pooch but that doesn't stop me from drinking Creamflow when I'm out for a pint.

My garage has several cases of Franziskaner Dunkel, Staropramen and Hoegaarden, but I also drink Bulmers cider and pear cider because I like it at this time of year.

I don't think much of Weston's Vintage, for instance, it's a touch tart and dry for my taste.

Well yes, I'm sure that some people do like Creamflow and Magner's. Just as some people like to wear shellsuits, watch programs such as Big Brother on TV and eat McDonalds burgers.

Surely, it was a cask of Ascot's Posh Pooch that you've just finished ? Not a keg ? Do you have your own dispensing equipment or do you have a stillage ?

I keep an empty clean Pin and an empty clean firkin, just so I can get them filled at a local brewery; very handy if we are having a party. Trouble is, it only has a limited shelf life, especially the lighter Summer ales. If you lived closer, I'd invite you round to try some.

If you're drinking anything by the Hog's Back or Ascot Breweries, then there is hope for you yet :blush:; and the cases in your garage are all good stuff - perhaps you should have a BBQ and invite some of your fellow members round ?

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
pubrunner said:
Trouble is, it only has a limited shelf life, especially the lighter Summer ales.

This is something I only began to appreciate when I tasted the same beer from an old barrel and from a fresh barrel; you need to catch it on the right night because the real stuff doesn't keep well once opened.

However there's nothing more depressing than having a drink early in the evening at some place that serves only keg; the barman just squirts the stuff into a glass and slaps it on the counter - here y'are mate, your over-priced pint of pasteurised, dead, flavourless Euro-piss.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
pubrunner said:
Westons - cider made from 'proper' cider apples grown in own orchards. If short of apples, they will only buy the correct apples from certified organic sources. Westons do 'water down' some of their ciders to meet customer requirements. But no chemicals/additives thank you very much. Virtually nil spent on advertising.

In honour of PR's post I bought a bottle of Dunkerton's organic cider last night (Weston's I know and like) - very nice, ice not required!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
In honour of PR's post I bought a bottle of Dunkerton's organic cider last night (Weston's I know and like) - very nice, ice not required!

What was the abv of the Dunkerton's ? After just one bottle, I can feel the effects.

It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of Dunkerton's & Magner's. If the Dunkerton's was tried first, I'm sure that the Magner's would taste very watery & insipid.

I suppose that if I was out on a bike ride on a hot day, then I might try Magner's; with Dunkerton's, I might find it hard to stay on my bike :blush:

I'd be interested to know where you got your Dunkerton's - it ain't the easiest stuff to find.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I enjoyed a bottle of Henney's still cider last night after returning home from eating an over-priced underwhelming curry swill down with a Cobra beer. I enjoyed the Cobra but the Henney's was divine.

Norm

pubrunner said:
Well yes, I'm sure that some people do like Creamflow and Magner's. Just as some people like to wear shellsuits, watch programs such as Big Brother on TV and eat McDonalds burgers.

Surely, it was a cask of Ascot's Posh Pooch that you've just finished ? Not a keg ? Do you have your own dispensing equipment or do you have a stillage ?

I keep an empty clean Pin and an empty clean firkin, just so I can get them filled at a local brewery; very handy if we are having a party. Trouble is, it only has a limited shelf life, especially the lighter Summer ales. If you lived closer, I'd invite you round to try some.

If you're drinking anything by the Hog's Back or Ascot Breweries, then there is hope for you yet :wacko:; and the cases in your garage are all good stuff - perhaps you should have a BBQ and invite some of your fellow members round ?
Well, I'm pleased to say that I have no shell-suits, haven't watched Big Brother since series 1 and haven't had a McDog in about a year. Can I still come to yours for a pint? :smile:

I hadn't realised the difference between a cask and a keg until you pointed it out, I had used the terms interchangeably. Whoops! And yes, they are, strictly, casks rather than kegs, so thanks for pointing that out. Ascot sells their beer in mini-casks, which I think hold 9 pints. It takes a pretty determined evening (and a pre-booked taxi!) to finish one of those between two people but it's great stuff to take to a party.

I still do fancy a pint of Worthington's Creamflow every time I read this thread, though. :smile:

Top Bottom