Make your bike more Horse Friendly....fit a bell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
why add unnecessary complication?

Given that bells are a comparative rarity, certainly when compared to possession of a working human voice, why not advise cyclists to use their voices as they are something that both a horse and its rider(?) do not need special training to 'get' and are both already immediately familiar with.

It is more effective to both alert the pair to our presence; albeit not by bellowing 'hello, I'm a cyclist' Gumby style from distance; but in a more common sense and helpful manner as described by numerous people on the thread of a greeting and commentary as to what our approach & passing action will be, to allow the rider to warn us to do something else or rein the horse accordingly, rather than them guess our intent from a unidirectional dingy noise and us hope that we're doing the right thing.

Joggers etc passing horses don't carry a bell, why run the risk of confusing the poor horse by giving different modes of humans overtaking it different modes of salutation to use.

There's a 4 miles shared use track between Lancaster and Glasson dock... it's regularly used my walkers, joggers, horse riders and cyclists... the vast majority of cyclists on that stretch are fairweather cyclists on their halfords/tesco/argos bikes, all of which are sold with a bell. I'd also put good money on the vast majority of those cyclists haven't read this thread, or even heard of cycle chat... I'd put even more money on the likelihood of them using their bells to alert those they are approaching, because that's what the bell is for.

It's already been pointed out to me by someone who knows more about horses that I do, that horses can be trained to get used to the noise of a bell... i suggested that might be a good idea, but... :banghead:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Ok, I'll give you two real world scenarios.
This road is a little over a cars width and I take a primary position through there, on a recent run I was cycling through and approaching the passing place at the end when a car came round the corner and refused to yield, it came at me at speed and I was forced to the side, in my path was a nice big fresh dollop of horse poo.
This corner after a nice little downhill, go round the corner to be greeted by several nice big fresh dollops across primary and secondary, a veritable poo-fest.
Did I ride through either? No. Would a less experienced rider have gone through either? Maybe. Would that make them a moron? I think that would be a rather unfair suggestion to be honest. Should a less experienced cyclist be kept off the road? No.
Just so you know there are three stables within a stones throw of where I live and I regularly see horses when cycling and driving and I always treat them with respect and consideration.

VamP

Banned
Ok, I'll give you two real world scenarios.
This road is a little over a cars width and I take a primary position through there, on a recent run I was cycling through and approaching the passing place at the end when a car came round the corner and refused to yield, it came at me at speed and I was forced to the side, in my path was a nice big fresh dollop of horse poo pothole.
This corner after a nice little downhill, go round the corner to be greeted by several nice big fresh dollops potholes across primary and secondary, a veritable poo pothole-fest.
Did I ride through either? No. Would a less experienced rider have gone through either? Maybe. Would that make them a moron? I think that would be a rather unfair suggestion to be honest. Should a less experienced cyclist be kept off the road? No.
Just so you know there are three stables many potholes within a stones throw of where I live and I regularly see horses potholes when cycling and driving and I always treat them with respect and consideration.

FTFY

I think potholes are a menace and road users should all clean them up after themselves.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
FTFY

I think potholes are a menace and road users should all clean them up after themselves.
I'll save this for so you can look back on it and cringe in the future.
However, I'll humour you. If, in the scenarios I posted, I or somebody else had ridden into the pothole would you think of us as a moron, or would you suggest we shouldn't be on the road?
Also would you be so kind as to point out where I said that the horse muck should be cleared up? I think you may struggle. The point I am making is that, as pointed out by ianrauk, it can be a menace. Even if that doesn't involve me or somebody else hitting the deck having skidded on it, I don't really want to be eating it nor do I want it spattered up my back or over my bike.

VamP

Banned
I'll save this for so you can look back on it and cringe in the future.
However, I'll humour you. If, in the scenarios I posted, I or somebody else had ridden into the pothole would you think of us as a moron, or would you suggest we shouldn't be on the road?
Also would you be so kind as to point out where I said that the horse muck should be cleared up? I think you may struggle. The point I am making is that, as pointed out by ianrauk, it can be a menace. Even if that doesn't involve me or somebody else hitting the deck having skidded on it, I don't really want to be eating it nor do I want it spattered up my back or over my bike.

I'm cringing already :rolleyes:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I don't doubt that for a moment.

Top Bottom