Making a hard tail mountain bike more road friendly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hobbio

Hello :smile:

I've got a Merida Big Nine hard tail 29er, and seeing as how I struggle for time to get it anywhere "mountain bikey" I want to make it a bit more road-friendly.

I'm carrying a fair bit of weight, which has lead to me having back problems. Riding it for more than half an hour really canes me! That's the reason I haven't ridden it in anger since August....

I need to shift some of this blubber, and I want to get back out on it an put some miles under the wheels, so that means road riding. Ideally I'd get a road bike but funds don't allow at present and I'd need to explain to the Mrs why I've just bought another bike with that one just sitting there lol.

Any mods need to be cheap and easily reversible, as I still plan on taking it to Cannock Chase when I get time.

I've ordered some bar ends (yes, yes, I know) to see if being able to adjust position helps to keep my back pain at bay for a while longer, and I'm debating another set of wheels with more road-orientated tyres and cassette but I don't know how feasible that is.

The more time I spend on it, the easier it will be to justify a dedicated road bike.

Any suggestions?

vickster

Legendary Member
Tyres first , I think 29ers use something very close to 700c and presumably the fork is locked if feasible. LBS should be able to advise on and sell you tyres, a slick 28mm or 32mm will make life easier

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As it's a 29er you can fit 700c (622) size tyres. Your rim width will determine what is the narrowest tyre you can fit - the size will likely be marked on the rim to save you having to measure.

Have a look at this from Schwalbe for more details (page 7 has a chart showing what width tyre fits what width rim). There's tons of other useful tyre info in there too.

The bar ends should help. I find them great, especially on longer rides.

AndyRM

XOXO
As above. I'm almost certain that 29er is just marketing gubbins for 700c. My other suggestion was going to be bar ends, but you've already got them sorted.

Before purchasing anything, I'd tally up what you're likely to spend. If you get anywhere near the £150/£200 mark, I'd consider looking for a second hand road bike, or be on the lookout for a Carrerra TDF deal from Halfords.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Just the tyres I reckon.

Once you start clocking up some road miles you'll soon improve in fitness. I wouldn't think that the gearing would be an issue, unless you want to exceed 45mph downhill, and you can always save the bailout gears for the really steep stuff, or when you fancy a breather.

OP
OP
Hobbio

Hobbio

Thanks for the advice people. I was reluctant to just change the tyres because I still have plans to get it off road, but thinking about it again changing tyres over is no different from swapping wheels over really, and it's a damn sight cheaper.

I'll pop into my LBS (where I bought it, great shop about 2 mins from my house) and see what they say. Will I need to switch tubes too?

I really want a road bike, and this is the first step.

I wouldn't change the gears, bar ends are a good idea, tyres yes and I'm thinking back problems might benefit from a wee bit of extension to move some of the weight forward onto your arms, so maybe a longer stem.

Oh and some of the tyres you can get, like Racing Ralph or Shwalbe table top will do OK on road pumped up and oK off-road on harder trails but not mud.

vickster

Legendary Member
You may need to switch tubes depending on what is on there at the moment and what you switch too

Shop will advise again

OP
OP
Hobbio

Hobbio

It's on Maxis Crossmark 2.1 Wire tyres and Shwalbe tubes at present.

I'll look into a longer stem as well.

OP
OP
Hobbio

Hobbio

O.k, the plan is to pop into the bike shop on Saturday for some tyre advice and then get out on it! I've also arranged a ride out on Sunday with my mate.

I'll see how my back is after those 2 days before I look into replacing the stem.

I won't change wheels etc, instead I'll save up for a dedicated road bike and when I get it I'll leave the knobblies on the Big Nine.

Archeress

Veteran
My GT Timberline 1.0 has got off road tyres but they're not very agressive and have good rolling speed. They were the stock tyres. In fact, when going out with the club on an MTB route post xmas, we were not sure I would make the final steep climb as everywhere had been very muddy, however I still managed to climb the steep hill, where others actually wimped out. (I was the only girl on the ride). I have also done 20mile road rides with the club with only slightly more effort than my road bike, indeed as it is more upright, it is more comfortable on my back.

Hugs
Archeress x

Top Bottom