'Making' a touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought I was being very clever buying this Tifosi Classic audax bike for touring:

FB_IMG_1523723006767.jpg

Which ended up looking like this:

FB_IMG_1523723108304.jpg

However, the clearance was so terrible that the 28c tyres clogged up at the sniff of a muddy puddle. I realised it wasn't going to do. I now know that the kind of touring I'll be doing requires 32c and decent clearance. So I bought this ancient old Marin for £35:

ebay kentfield.jpg

And made this:

DSC_0012.JPG

The front rack needs braze ons and I'll add a pair of bottle eyes under the down tube at some point and then my customary don't-give-a-sh!t rattle can paint job. Amazingly, as the Marin has decent tubing it's not measureably heavier that the Tifosi. I now has cantilevers - £5 off of ebay so it'll stop better too. I'm pretty chuffed with it. I binned the old chain so can't ride it until me fresh SRAM 991 arrives next week.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
A 90s MTB in steel is a very good starting point for this type of project. I reckon you could get around the world for way, way (and indeed way) less than Thorn et al would charge - like perhaps a fifth, maybe less.

A 90s MTB in steel is a very good starting point for this type of project. I reckon you could get around the world for way, way (and indeed way) less than Thorn et al would charge - like perhaps a fifth, maybe less.
Careful mickle and bonefish - you'll let folks know you don't need to spend a wad of cash to buy something with 10 plus cogs on the back to get a wonderful bike. Then where will we get our frames from?

I'm going to ask the mods to remove your post.

However, the clearance was so terrible that the 28c tyres clogged up at the sniff of a muddy puddle. I realised it wasn't going to do. I now know that the kind of touring I'll be doing requires 32c and decent clearance.
------

The front rack needs braze ons .

Personally I'd want a tourer to take 38s unless travelling light.

You don't need braze ons.

You can use these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-lm-1-...48uk&pgrid=17507339822&ptaid=pla-296624071193

though not of course with a carbon fork ;)

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Careful mickle and bonefish - you'll let folks know you don't need to spend a wad of cash to buy something with 10 plus cogs on the back to get a wonderful bike. Then where will we get our frames from?

I'm going to ask the mods to remove your post.
Yes but no but it's not the latest and greatest and all shiny and with all that new technology and not a sexy brand and everyfink so I think that the thinking cyclist is perfectly safe. Let's agree to keep it as our dirty little secret.

I mean, look at this as an example: http://www.oxfordbikeworks.co.uk/expedition/

It's obviously better because, well, it must be because it costs much more (no slur on OBW intended by the way, whose jib I like the cut of ^_^)

Yes but no but it's not the latest and greatest and all shiny and with all that new technology and not a sexy brand and everyfink so I think that the thinking cyclist is perfectly safe. Let's agree to keep it as our dirty little secret.

I mean, look at this as an example: http://www.oxfordbikeworks.co.uk/expedition/

It's obviously better because, well, it must be because it costs much more (no slur on OBW intended by the way, whose jib I like the cut of ^_^)

cripes - the price of that has gone up. I considered one at one time (and I too have time for Oxford Bike works and particularly Tom of Tom's Bike Trip who helped design it) but was put off partly by the lack of flexibility in the package offered.
So ended up with a Ridgeback Expedition 2016 model for £700 which I reckon is the equal of that bike - or will be with the small matter of some Sputnik wheels from Spa Cycles - and of course I have the use of the original wheels in the meantime, which have already served on some monstrously loaded trips, including the Dynamo.

Top Bottom