'Making' a touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So the crappy steel headset will do until /unless it needs replacing etc.
Out of interest, how is it crappy? I rather like bomb proof steel headsets with loose balls. Or has it been damaged/compromised by a dodgy past/poor maintenance?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Don't do much touring- to the point where I don't think I've ever toured on the same bike twice, I just use whatever is the most suitable bike I have at the time. The most suitable touring bike I ever had was a 1999 Marin Bolinas ridge. Since it already had a rack and 'guards for commuting I didn't need to modify it at all.

All my bikes have serviceable adjustable ball bearings, and they all have quill stems as well. I refuse to own anything that has "improved" modern throwaway rubbish fitted to it.

I don't do this but having had to replace a Specialized Mindset headset (with a nicely rusted lower race) recently I completely understand this stance.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You mean like the ones of distant childhood, sort of loud but friendly sounding?
I searched electra - are their bells all essentially the same functional design but just with different pics on the tops?
I think some are one chime and others two. Good bells, but I think they are only different in the design on the outside. Electras are cruiser bikes, heavily accessorized, mostly for the form over function crowd, but a good, reliable ride.

Top Bottom