Malt whisky lovers - what is your fave Speyside?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The recipients don't like the taste of salty burnt mud? ;)

(L'esprit d'escalier version The recipients don't like the taste of a burning peat bog fire that has been extinguished with sea water? ;) )
Highlands and Orkney.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Macallan Gold is a favorite of mine. Very sherried taste, not overly too sweet and goes down extremely easy

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Macallan discovered in a Spanish bar is especially nice, as long as you are quick enough to stop them putting ice in it.
Aberlour isn't bad.
(I do mostly prefer Islay malts)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
If you dont mind being more exotic.... Suntory (a Japanese company that does a lot of food and drink)

make some GREAT whiskies. I was gifted a bottle of Hakushu Distillers Reserve for my birthday last year and it was absolutely beautiful.
I also bought myself a bottle of their 'Hibiki 12' when it was a lot lot lot cheaper and its another great one... They cost about £90 now but i paid about £35-40 back in the day

Yamazaki 12 is also a great one that has ballooned in price. I saw them at £35 one day then they ballooned to £300 due to shortages but prices have settled to around £90-100 if money is no object.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
If you dont mind being more exotic.... Suntory (a Japanese company that does a lot of food and drink)

make some GREAT whiskies. I was gifted a bottle of Hakushu Distillers Reserve for my birthday last year and it was absolutely beautiful.
I also bought myself a bottle of their 'Hibiki 12' when it was a lot lot lot cheaper and its another great one... They cost about £90 now but i paid about £35-40 back in the day

Yamazaki 12 is also a great one that has ballooned in price. I saw them at £35 one day then they ballooned to £300 due to shortages but prices have settled to around £90-100 if money is no object.

Had a bottle of the Yamazaki 12 recently. Excellent stuff. Currently working on this Taiwanese one. It's ok, but at 59.4% it's too strong and overpowers

IMG_20170711_130043.jpg

Nobody's mentioned Glenlivet yet. There was a time when all Speyside whiskies were called Glenlivet such was its pre eminent position.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I was hoping to include under the umbrella of "in the style of Speyside" but I've been nabbed by the whisky police it seems
Not at all. Well, not the intent, and I'm enjoying the classic cc slightly off-topic responses, even though it is a specific thread about a specific style.

A bit like a thread "what tyres do you use on your Brompton?" and having folk rock up and say "the Rapid Rob's on my 29-er are amazing, why don't you try them instead?" or "cycling is sh1t, get a car" ;)

U

User482

Not at all. Well, not the intent, and I'm enjoying the classic cc slightly off-topic responses, even though it is a specific thread about a specific style.

A bit like a thread "what tyres do you use on your Brompton?" and having folk rock up and say "the Rapid Rob's on my 29-er are amazing, why don't you try them instead?" or "cycling is sh1t, get a car" ;)
Yet there are Speyside whiskies that taste like they are from Islay, so maybe it's better to focus on style rather than geography?

Domus

Guru
MY favourites, not saying the best or someone else's is P**S, are, in no particular order Royal Lochnagar, Balvenie Doublewood and Cragganmore 12
Macallan 10 was a favourite but now sadly no longer produced as is Yamazaki 10 a cracking dram. Old Pulteney is another regular in my cabinet.

You can spend a lifetime finding a single malt that suits your palate, made a few mistakes along the way but that is part of the fun.

Keep looking :cheers:

Top Bottom