Malt whisky lovers - what is your fave Speyside?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As well as being generous, you show good taste too, sir.
And I would think any recipient would be well chuffed.
The pair have died in ditches several times since I joined this programme. They've earned it.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MY favourites, not saying the best or someone else's is P**S, are, in no particular order Royal Lochnagar, Balvenie Doublewood and Cragganmore 12
Macallan 10 was a favourite but now sadly no longer produced as is Yamazaki 10 a cracking dram. Old Pulteney is another regular in my cabinet.

You can spend a lifetime finding a single malt that suits your palate, made a few mistakes along the way but that is part of the fun.

Keep looking :cheers:
If you haven't.... Try one of the Japanese Nikka Coffey still whiskies. The malt or the grain.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yet there are Speyside whiskies that taste like they are from Islay, so maybe it's better to focus on style rather than geography?
When I say "Speyside" in a thread title I mean in the style of Speyside from Speyside. In other words...

Speyside.

Jebus.

;)

U

User482

When I say "Speyside" in a thread title I mean in the style of Speyside from Speyside. In other words...

Speyside.

Jebus.

;)
I'm not a mind reader!

This thing about single malts is quite a recent invention, pure marketing. Until the 50's the focus was on the master blenders, skillfully mixing and matching various malts from different distilleries, different ages, different cask finishes, to provide a bottled product that enhanced the best qualities. Can't help feeling that we're all missing out by restricting our bottle to the contents of one distillery, or even, in some cases, one cask.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This thing about single malts is quite a recent invention, pure marketing. Until the 50's the focus was on the master blenders, skillfully mixing and matching various malts from different distilleries, different ages, different cask finishes, to provide a bottled product that enhanced the best qualities. Can't help feeling that we're all missing out by restricting our bottle to the contents of one distillery, or even, in some cases, one cask.
Yep. The industry itself effectively blocked vatted malts as a concept. The Wine Society still do a good one.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A while back, I was sat next to a bloke on an aeroplane who requested a single malt off the drinks trolley. I had a half formed inclination to ask him whether he was an adventurous sampler of as many different tastes as possible, or an indiscriminate fool.
Possibly, having glanced at the on-board menu, or being a frequent flyer, he was an informed consumer?

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I had an American guest. Ex-colleague from the happy times in Scandi. He browsed my whisky shelf, selected a decent 18 year old, and asked for some coke. Hospitality insisted I oblige. But, really.

Top Bottom