"MAN" chores

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Top tip, if you don't have huge long rubber gloves for this kind of work - stick your arm in a bin liner. The Boy, who is away studying Hard Sums and Babbage Engines had to use this technique when the loo in the student house got blocked. "Did it work" I asked him."Sort of" he replied. "I found out too late that I had long finger nails."
Thankfully I have "only" had to do this once but there are three more sisters that might take up the gauntlet up to block the toilet for Daddy :sad: Bin liner will be used in future,many thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

raised by puffins

I've got a self-cleaning oven which I find a bit selfish. If it's so clever then maybe it could swish a mop around once in a while too.

avalon

Guru
ironing.jpg
Here's an idea. Try ironing while riding your bike.

fimm

Veteran
We split most things - whoever cooks doesn't wash up. He does more cleaning but he works at home while I work 9 - 5 & commute. I do all the ironing but then about 99% of the things that need ironing are my work clothes anyway. I actually quite like ironing - I'm not very good at just sitting watching TV and ironing is a good thing to do while watching TV.
He does most of the bike fettling except my Brompton which is my problem.
We split the driving but he likes driving while I view it as a necessary evil.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I do the garden (although she does occasionally help), the bins, the cars and bikes, DIY and we share cooking and cleaning (although my wife probably does more than me). She does the laundry and ironing, most of the hoovering, cat litter tray.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I'm single so alas I have to do all the chores, but on the plus side I defer many of them until tomorrow and this goes unchallenged.

As for all the shed talk, l've lived in London for 20 years and never had a shed, I currently live in a 3rd floor flat with no garden so shed envy remains a recurring theme in my life. So strong that last week I visited my brother and was eyeing up my nieces Wendy house as a poor mans indoor shed alternative. I could get all my bike bits in there. With two kids under 6 my brothers house resembles a war zone, I guess the fact I considered arson as a means of getting rid of the vast array of plastic tea sets and dolls makes me a bad uncle. I'm fairly sure the Geneva Convention does not cover dolls so I won't be classed as Pol Pot for liquifying them along with a few tea and dinner sets. I'm thinking the needs of the bigger one outweigh the needs of the little one, which when I was growing up seemed to be the main determinant of who did the chores. And then when I left home, all of a sudden a dishwasher appeared, I felt dirty and used, now I just feel dirty.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Things I do regularly:
vacuum,
general tidy up
bins
wash and interior clean car
mopping floor
laundry
ironing
ensure enough basic supplies are in fridge (milk eggs that kinda stuff)
mow lawn

Things I do when they need to be done
clean gutters/drains/pipes
clear leaves

Things I dont do
DIY like plumbing/electrical/car maintenance because I have no interest and am crap at it.
Cooking because my wife doesnt like my food and besides she can make tastier food than me.

That doesn't mean my wife doesnt do any of the above, we both share it. When the required work-item needs to be done, if my wife is busy cooking, I'll iron the clothes, if she's tidying up, I'll mow the lawn, etc.

gbb

Legendary Member
Purely for bragging rights (depending which side of the fence you sit), this has been my man day..
Up before the wife, made us both tea and toast.
Helped with the cleaning up, maybe did 30% of it.
Made coffee.
Empty dishwasher.
Prepared dinner, fresh carrots, parsnips, leeks, peeled potatoes for roasting, put the chicken in the oven.
Went to shops.
Washed car, then polished it.
In to put the veg on.
Cleared the patio of leaves and hosed down.
Empty washing machine and hang outside.
Fill washing machine with work clothes.
Dish up dinner,.
Hang out work clothes. Make coffee.
Wash pans and roasting tins, plate and bits put in dishwasher.

Aaaaand reeelax :surrender:

Then I start my good cop, bad cop routine with the wife?...'it was good to let you have a rest today..':thumbsup:
As we finished dinner, she got up and walked into the living room...i asked..'whatcha doing ?'
'Im finishing the rug im making'
'What about the pots ?.'
'I knew you were going to say that..you can do them :thumbsup:
Then after two minutes i piped up...'if you're feeling tired doing all that sitting down, i'd go have a lie down ':laugh:
Wife..:angry::laugh::thumbsup:

Top Bottom