Management Speak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We still say "comfort break" but that's almost Old Hat now...

"Value Added" I like. Well, I use the expression in reverse: "added value" in all seriousness. You see, we're often scratching around a bit having a brainstorming session, to dream up new goodies in the software to attract the customers, as often as not you'll hear me chime in "yes, but does it really confer added value...?" But, seeing as we're the engineering mob, we tone down the b*llsh*t a bit...

longers

Legendary Member
We get trained up - Sorry Colin, it just caught on.

I think it came from the same bloke who also used to ask if every egg was a chicken. No hens were involved.

Norm

When managers and their useless - waste - of - space minions use the phrase 'go for the low hanging fruit' it just makes me think of testicles... so I can never take them seriously :biggrin:
Which reminds me, when someone says "that drives me nuts", I always get an image of them with a steering wheel sticking out of their trouser zips.

Norm

Have a Bio-break....This one had me in stitches. I had to put the phone on mute, so as not to offend the Yank that said it.
This one is well used in online games. IMO, it is a useful way of telling a random group of people, some of whom may be pre-teen, that you need to take a 60 second break.

Maz

Guru
Is a Bio-break what I think it is?
It's just a plain, old break. Irrespective of whether you use it to get some fresh air, have a fag, stretch your legs or go to the toilet.

Gromit

Über Member
I have a paper to write on Henry Mintzberg, http://www.mintzberg.org/
He believes that many of today's mangers, graduating out of business schools shouldn't actually be allowed to run companies before getting any hands on experience.

In other words if you don't know how to do the jobs of the people who work for you, then there is know way you can manage the company.

I hate all that management speak, especially brown bagging.

I have a paper to write on Henry Mintzberg, http://www.mintzberg.org/
He believes that many of today's mangers, graduating out of business schools shouldn't actually be allowed to run companies before getting any hands on experience.

Henry Mintzberg became a figure in the management literature because he did a study of managerial jobs and came up with something like 9 different management functions, which were very different from the arguments made in the so called 'classic' work of Henri Fayol (early C20th). Fayol's work was the first attempt to set out what managers did on a day to day basis and therefore was an attempt understand the management function.

The thing is, his so called 'classic' study, which seems to have had a worldwide influence, was based on an analysis of the diaries of no less than 5 - FIVE - managers. He somehow managed to get this piece of work accepted into the mainstream based on the tiniest and most unrepresentative of samples. What a fraud!

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
There seems to be a growing number amount "managementese" that brings me close to having a conniption fit ...

First, there was "at this moment in time" ... then "going forward" ... and now "a big ask". 'Ask' is a verb. It is not a noun.

Top Bottom