Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 12 May 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
?

If you're already planning on taking a folding bike, you've not got much to lose. I'm guessing that it'd probably mean you'd have to leave Llandudno about an hour earlier. Better than losing the hotel booking?

And you get to enjoy the backstreets of Rhyl, Prestatyn, Flint etc as the bus must go to the actual stations....this is a major bonus of the bus replacement service.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
And you get to enjoy the backstreets of Rhyl, Prestatyn, Flint etc as the bus must go to the actual stations....this is a major bonus of the bus replacement service.
That does not sound like a bonus.....
The revised times are now on the National Rail journey planner. 1018 from Llandudno Junction to make the 1233 train. 4hrs 23 into Euston. And an absolute bargain at £91.90 (no cheaper fares were available when I bought mine either). Insanely, First Class Advance fares for later trains are £87.....

Still giving thought to giving up on this. I did get the Karden House booking on non-refundable terms, but they might be nice about it, given the circumstances...

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The revised times are now on the National Rail journey planner. 1018 from Llandudno Junction to make the 1233 train. 4hrs 23 into Euston. And an absolute bargain at £91.90 (no cheaper fares were available when I bought mine either). Insanely, First Class Advance fares for later trains are £87.....

Still giving thought to giving up on this. I did get the Karden House booking on non-refundable terms, but they might be nice about it, given the circumstances...
It's a bastard, cos my ticket price is £52 return from Brighton to Manc from Thursday to Monday.

Wobblers

Euthermic

If I'm understanding this correctly you've not yet booked the return train from Chester?

There may be other options. There is a service from Chester to Crewe. I know that friends don't let friends change trains at Crewe, but, well, desperate times and all that. Alternatively, try Liverpool Lime Street: there's a frequent service (every 15 minutes) to Lime Street from Chester.

si_c

Guru
Can you get a refund for your train ticket? Currently you can get a ticket to Euston from chester for £44 on the sunday at 4.30pm. That's a really leisurely ride to Chester. First class is £47.

Makes for a longer trip back on the sunday, but lets be realistic, you weren't going to do much that day anyway.

StuAff

If I'm understanding this correctly you've not yet booked the return train from Chester?

There may be other options. There is a service from Chester to Crewe. I know that friends don't let friends change trains at Crewe, but, well, desperate times and all that. Alternatively, try Liverpool Lime Street: there's a frequent service (every 15 minutes) to Lime Street from Chester.
No, I have a ticket from Llandudno Junction to Euston- bought in February. Off-peak single, the full £91.90. Which, AFAIC, is taking the proverbial when I was not given any information at all about engineering work (not even as a possibility).

StuAff

Can you get a refund for your train ticket? Currently you can get a ticket to Euston from chester for £44 on the sunday at 4.30pm. That's a really leisurely ride to Chester. First class is £47.

Makes for a longer trip back on the sunday, but lets be realistic, you weren't going to do much that day anyway.
I've just sent Hull Trains an email (if nothing else I should be able to get a refund minus admin fee) asking the question. Good spot on the Chester service- 1st class all the way back to Fratton £53.50!! Gets in at 2149, but that can work....

StuAff

In other news, Janet at Karden House would be OK waiving any charges. But if I can get a refund on that ludicrously priced bus ticket and get one for the Chester service, I'll do that rather than pull the trip altogether.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
In other news, Janet at Karden House would be OK waiving any charges. But if I can get a refund on that ludicrously priced bus ticket and get one for the Chester service, I'll do that rather than pull the trip altogether.
12.33. So not rideable after breakfast at my speed. Good job I've got a folder, which I was bringing anyway on account of unavailability of bike reservations.

What did I miss Stu?

StuAff

What did I miss Stu?
Nothing, Rich....frankly, just hacked off at being sold an overpriced ticket when I wasn't warned of any engineering work, and all options for getting home involve either spending even more money, riding 40+ miles with a fully laden bike, or both.
This thing gets crazier and crazier. Some cheap tickets from Chester @si_c had helpfully pointed out have disappeared. So now they're up to £117 (to Fratton). Still at £44 for Euston.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

That' really nice of her. I still can't believe how unhelpful Arriva Wales HQ was when they called me back. Seems they are sanguine regarding leaving several cyclist high and dry in Llandudno. They even tried to suggest I should take it up with Network Rail (who do the engineering). I explained that my contract was with Arriva Wales, not Network Rail. I also got them to admit that they didn't know whether they had an obligation to carry us on the Sunday under their T&Cs (the reality is there will be some crappy "force majeure" boilerplate clause in there for them to wriggle out via)

si_c

Guru
Has the hilly route been abandoned this year, Nick?

Route and timings
Leave Manchester Piccadilly railway station at 0800. I'll post the proper route files but it meanders through Cheshire with a stop at about 1030 in Weaverham for coffee, bacon butties etc. Onto the Wirral to the famous Eureka cyclists café for a hearty lunch. After that its West to Llandudno with a flatter or hiller option on the stretch from Flint to Prestatyn. After that, we literally hug the coast all the way to Llandudno.

I'd assumed I was doing the hillier option.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Is anyone au fait with Northern train cycle policy - Chester to manc particularly.
The website says you need a bike reservation but having phoned them they aren't available.
Will we be able to rock up with a bike on Sunday afternoon?

Top Bottom