Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 12 May 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Chester to Manc on Sunday afternoon for only sick squid...
I'm sure we can find somewhere near Chester station for a quick rehydrate too

wanda2010

Guru
Thanks to @theclaud for bringing this to my attention. My journey was already convoluted cos couldn't get a bike res from Chester to London, so my journey was Llandudno to Manch via Chester, then Manchester to London. My Chester/Manc train is 1236 with my London train two hour slater. Lemme throw a small tantrum, finish my shot of rum, then think................

Edited to change train to 1236 from 1136. I either can't see or that rum is stronger than I realised.

Last edited:

wanda2010

Guru
Thanks to @theclaud for bringing this to my attention. My journey was already convoluted cos couldn't get a bike res from Chester to London, so my journey was Llandudno to Manch via Chester, then Manchester to London. My Chester/Manc train is 1236 with my London train two hours later. Lemme throw a small tantrum, finish my shot of rum, then think................

Brompton. Good thing I'm training it from the lunch stop again this year.

Last edited:

wanda2010

Guru
Just out of interest. How long would it take you 'speedy' types to ride to Chester. Yes, I know I'm slower than a newborn but still.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just out of interest. How long would it take you 'speedy' types to ride to Chester. Yes, I know I'm slower than a newborn but still.
It's about 48 miles, so if it were me I'd allow about 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. Could probably ride nearer three if hammering.

si_c

Guru

It depends on the route taken, I'd probably try to stay on the roads as much as is possible, it's a more predictable speed, so probably around 2 1/2 hours or so, less if the wind is favourable. But the purpose of that ride would purely be transportation, it wouldn't be a pretty or enjoyable ride.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It depends on the route taken, I'd probably try to stay on the roads as much as is possible, it's a more predictable speed, so probably around 2 1/2 hours or so, less if the wind is favourable. But the purpose of that ride would purely be transportation, it wouldn't be a pretty or enjoyable ride.
He's not joking ... On the 2016 Scarborough ride we got a big tailwind, the kind (hopefully!) to be expected heading back from Llandudno to Chester. I sat on his wheel for about half a mile doing 35 mph but then my legs blew. I slowed down 5 mph and watched him disappear off up the road in front of me! :notworthy:

si_c

Guru
He's not joking ... On the 2016 Scarborough ride we got a big tailwind, the kind (hopefully!) to be expected heading back from Llandudno to Chester. I sat on his wheel for about half a mile doing 35 mph but then my legs blew. I slowed down 5 mph and watched him disappear off up the road in front of me! :notworthy:
Haha, you neglected to mention that it was slightly downhill as well as the monster tailwind, I'm not normally that fast!:biggrin: As long as it's reasonably flat though, I can motor along fairly quickly, it's when it goes uphill that I start to crawl.

wanda2010

Guru
Thanks all. If I’d booked a later train, I would definitely consider it. Will stick with Brompton and train it from lunch stop and use bus replacement on Sunday morning.

Currently on weekend break in Penzance. I might have walked a little further than planned. Feet are on fire but will sleep very well tonight

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
For those staying in Manchester and who haven't booked anywhere yet (or have flexible bookings), the Ibis Princess Street is available with a special offer rate- pay up front, no cancellation/refund- £49 if you're not a member of their loyalty programme, which is free to join & gets you another 10% off- £46.31. 5 minute ride from Piccadilly. I had booked at the Ibis Budget Salford Quays (£47.30 on flexible rate including breakfast), but this is somewhat nicer and somewhat nearer. There is another Ibis & an Ibis Styles nearby, but neither have the big discount.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Just realised this ride is next month and ive not been on my bike since the Scarborough ride last year, looks like it will be Fat Lad at the Back for me this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom