Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 12 May 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The train from Llan to New Mills is £40, but Llan to Manc and Manc to New Mills is £20,
Mad.
Reason is that you can get an advance ticket Llandudno-Manchester but they're unavailable Manchester-New Mills

So if you try to buy Llandudno-New Mills it gives you standard ticket pricing for full journey

I have same situation. I buy Llandudno to Manchester Advanced and then a normal Manchester to Glossop

Don't you get discount travel at your age anyway?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't you get discount travel at your age anyway?
We oldies (60+) have to cough up for Senior Railcards to get that discount! The cards cost £30/year or £70/3 years. I treated myself to the 3-year one for my 60th birthday

Littgull and I use ours a lot.

We get a 1/3 discount on Off Peak trains. I only need to buy Off Peak tickets totalling more than £210 over 3 years to make an overall saving. I easily exceed that.

ColinJ

I just booked an Advance ticket for the 19:42 train back to Manchester and made a bike reservation - £9.55 (with my decrepit old fogey's Senior railcard)! :smile:

This year I will try to get to the chippy in time to actually buy some fish and chips, rather than just saying goodbye to everyone else and dashing back to the station ...

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I just booked an Advance ticket for the 19:42 train back to Manchester and made a bike reservation - £9.55 (with my decrepit old fogey's Senior railcard)! :smile:

This year I will try to get to the chippy in time to actually buy some fish and chips, rather than just saying goodbye to everyone else and dashing back to the station ...
Will you be riding the singlepeed again this year?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I probably will, though it is still unlikely that I could get up all the hills on it unless I lowered the gearing and I don't want to do that. I would rather be overgeared for a couple of miles than undergeared for 98!

I reckon we have about 98 miles perfect for 50/17 and then those two climbs; the hardish one out of Flint and that final kicker just before Llandudno. Were I to go SS I would probably do 50/17 and accept a bit of walking on those two. I reckon you can get up that short, steep thing at Llandulas providing you get a real good run at it

si_c

Guru
I reckon we have about 98 miles perfect for 50/17 and then those two climbs; the hardish one out of Flint and that final kicker just before Llandudno. Were I to go SS I would probably do 50/17 and accept a bit of walking on those two. I reckon you can get up that short, steep thing at Llandulas providing you get a real good run at it
I think that pretty much sums it up. None of those hills are especially steep, and the longer drag out of Flint has plenty of recovery spots.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
FFS. Bought my tickets ages ago. I now find out that my £91 (!!!) ticket from Llandudno to London will include a replacement bus service to Chester. There's no information on the National Rail journey planner at all. ****!!! ****!!!

si_c

Guru
FFS. Bought my tickets ages ago. I now find out that my £91 (!!!) ticket from Llandudno to London will include a replacement bus service to Chester. There's no information on the National Rail journey planner at all. ****!!! ****!!!

That's appalling news. What time is your train from Chester to London?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That's appalling news. What time is your train from Chester to London?
12.33. So not rideable after breakfast at my speed. Good job I've got a folder, which I was bringing anyway on account of unavailability of bike reservations.

si_c

Guru
12.33. So not rideable before breakfast at my speed. Good job I've got a folder, which I was bringing anyway on account of unavailability of bike reservations.
That's good! You'd need about 3ish hours to ride back from Llandudno to Chester along the coastal path, it's a fairly easy and very flat ride, especially with the tailwind you'd have, so it would be doable, but not ideal.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
:ohmy: Replacement Bus Service - words to strike fear into the very soul!

@wanda2010 - best check if this f**kery affects your reservation.

ColinJ

Bad luck on the replacement bus - I always worry about that potential problem!

My 52/19 is a very similar ratio to 50/17, just a few percent easier.

I thought that little ramp might be doable but I would have to hit the foot of it at my spinning out speed of about 26-27 mph to stand any chance.

I think that pretty much sums it up. None of those hills are especially steep, and the longer drag out of Flint has plenty of recovery spots.
I (just!) got up the first steepish ramp out of Flint but it mashed my legs so when I was on the second ramp I wasn't sure that I could make it. I decided to do a controlled dismount before potentially being forced to do an emergency dismount higher up and failing to unclip properly!

I am hoping to be at least a stone lighter this year so I might stand a better chance of getting up more of those ramps. I'll give them a go.

Top Bottom