Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 18 May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not sure that it is to be honest, it's very narrow as well. An alternative route would be to go through Croughton village where you would go onto the canal and then follow up to Chorlton and then drop onto the existing route - it's a little bit gravelly and the road surface is less than perfect, but it's solid country lanes and little traffic - albeit a bit more zig zaggy in terms of route.
This is what it looks like on Google maps

If a participant is going to fall in the canal off that they deserve everything that's coming to them

Screenshot_20190412-202127.png

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is what it looks like on Google maps

If a participant is going to fall in the canal off that they deserve everything that's coming to them

View attachment 462047
I'll wear my Speedos then.....

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Full recce done. The route is even better than before!!!!

The towpath section is fine. A bit bumpy but metalled and fairly wide. The bit immediately after has a few of those spring loaded gates which are a nuisance but overall much nicer than the dual carriageway past blue planet which we will miss all together.

The revised hilly route to Rhyl is very nice with very quiet lanes on the tops. There is a steep descent but I will flag that up before the ride. You get spectacular views of a medieval castle in Ruddlan and then a cyclepath that runs alongside the River Clwyd down to Bike Hub Rhyl (missing out Rhyl for the rhylmoaners)

Last edited:

Tony OKeefe

So who's up for an all day 100 mile ride to the seaside?

Now into it's 5th year.....

Offering a fast escape from Manchester, pleasant Cheshire country lanes, rickety bridges over the River Dee, seafront perambulations, top drawer elevenses, lunch and fish and chips at the seaside. Overnighter with modest beer consumption available too

There are two route options: Flatter and Hillier. The difference is in North Wales where you can choose the main road route which is flatter or the country lanes route which is hillier. I've also amended the hillier route to avoid Prestatyn & Rhyl just for those who grumble every year about that stretch.

Steady pace, we all stick together for the first 30-40 miles. Then slowly we disintegrate into small groups and ride at whatever pace suits with whatever stops suits all the way to Llandudno

No problem if folk want to only do part of the ride. There will be the usual official stops at Altrincham, Weaverham, Eureka, Rhyl Bike Hub, so welcome to start/finish at those as you see fit

For those a bit nervous about whether they can manage the full distance, the good news is that from about the 60mile mark, there are regular train stations with a service to Llandudno. So, worst case scenario and you feel it's too much; just go to the nearest station and take the train

"Expressions of Interest" only at this stage. Firm up numbers much closer to the ride date.

No insurance required. Wear whatever clothing, headgear you like. All I stipulate is a decent bike and a means to navigate

Route and timings
Leave Manchester Piccadilly railway station at 0800. Altrincham by 0900. It meanders through Cheshire with a stop at about 1030 in Weaverham for coffee, bacon butties etc. Onto the Wirral to the famous Eureka cyclists café for a hearty lunch. After that its West to Llandudno with a flatter option on the stretch from Flint to Prestatyn or a hillier one from Flint to Rhyl. Both options rejoin at Bike Hub Rhyl. After that, we literally hug the coast all the way to Llandudno. Arrival time is weather dependent but has been around 1800-1830 for most participants in prior years. Excellent fish and chips at the finish point

Link to Flatter Route
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18498304

Link to Hillier Route

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18472318

Expressions of Interest
@Kestevan +1
@gavroche (from Bike Hub Rhyl)
@dan_bo
@ColinJ
@Slow But Determined (from Eureka)
@Freds Dad (:sad: out)
@StuAff
@Domus
@Vantage
@colly
@Alan7
@Jehughes7 (from Eureka)
@Soltydog
@wanda2010 (maybe just walking around Llandudno eating fish and chips)
@Bazzer (to Weaverham)
@I like Skol +1
@SteCenturion
@doughnut +1
@theclaud
@McWobble (from Eureka)
@mike3121 (some of it)
@si_c
@DiddlyDodds
@Moodyman
So who's up for an all day 100 mile ride to the seaside?

Now into it's 5th year.....

Offering a fast escape from Manchester, pleasant Cheshire country lanes, rickety bridges over the River Dee, seafront perambulations, top drawer elevenses, lunch and fish and chips at the seaside. Overnighter with modest beer consumption available too

There are two route options: Flatter and Hillier. The difference is in North Wales where you can choose the main road route which is flatter or the country lanes route which is hillier. I've also amended the hillier route to avoid Prestatyn & Rhyl just for those who grumble every year about that stretch.

Steady pace, we all stick together for the first 30-40 miles. Then slowly we disintegrate into small groups and ride at whatever pace suits with whatever stops suits all the way to Llandudno

No problem if folk want to only do part of the ride. There will be the usual official stops at Altrincham, Weaverham, Eureka, Rhyl Bike Hub, so welcome to start/finish at those as you see fit

For those a bit nervous about whether they can manage the full distance, the good news is that from about the 60mile mark, there are regular train stations with a service to Llandudno. So, worst case scenario and you feel it's too much; just go to the nearest station and take the train

"Expressions of Interest" only at this stage. Firm up numbers much closer to the ride date.

No insurance required. Wear whatever clothing, headgear you like. All I stipulate is a decent bike and a means to navigate

Route and timings
Leave Manchester Piccadilly railway station at 0800. Altrincham by 0900. It meanders through Cheshire with a stop at about 1030 in Weaverham for coffee, bacon butties etc. Onto the Wirral to the famous Eureka cyclists café for a hearty lunch. After that its West to Llandudno with a flatter option on the stretch from Flint to Prestatyn or a hillier one from Flint to Rhyl. Both options rejoin at Bike Hub Rhyl. After that, we literally hug the coast all the way to Llandudno. Arrival time is weather dependent but has been around 1800-1830 for most participants in prior years. Excellent fish and chips at the finish point

Link to Flatter Route
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18498304

Link to Hillier Route

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18472318

Expressions of Interest
@Kestevan +1
@gavroche (from Bike Hub Rhyl)
@dan_bo
@ColinJ
@Slow But Determined (from Eureka)
@Freds Dad (:sad: out)
@StuAff
@Domus
@Vantage
@colly
@Alan7
@Jehughes7 (from Eureka)
@Soltydog
@wanda2010 (maybe just walking around Llandudno eating fish and chips)
@Bazzer (to Weaverham)
@I like Skol +1
@SteCenturion
@doughnut +1
@theclaud
@McWobble (from Eureka)
@mike3121 (some of it)
@si_c
@DiddlyDodds
@Moodyman
Hi Nicky.
Tom and myself will join again this year - Brian is unlikely. We will meet at Dulux as usual. Booked accommodation in Llandudno, train back to Manchester Sunday

straas

Matt
Just rode the route today, a few notes:

Eureka doesn't take card :-(

The canal is a bit shoot but doesn't last long and avoids some crap toads

There are some amazing new lanes thrown in this one, quiet smooth and winding

Nick isn't messing about when he says it's a steep descent. Ignore the advice and you're likely to crash.

Rhyl is shoot isn't it?

A victory lap of the orme is unnecessary.

Cheers for the route nick.

Lee_M

Guru
Not sure if this has been mentioned but the owners of eureka are selling up so opening times have been a bit vague recently

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I rode the cycle lane from Rhudlan to Rhyl yesterday, and its very pleasant.

Tail winds to Llandudno at present...

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Just rode the route today, a few notes:

Eureka doesn't take card :-(

The canal is a bit shoot but doesn't last long and avoids some crap toads

There are some amazing new lanes thrown in this one, quiet smooth and winding

Nick isn't messing about when he says it's a steep descent. Ignore the advice and you're likely to crash.

Rhyl is shoot isn't it?

A victory lap of the orme is unnecessary.

Cheers for the route nick.
Glad you liked it. I think it's an improvement on previous routes

Did you ride around the Rhyl Marine Lake? I didn't do it as we were short on time

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, I think crap toads should be avoided. In fact, I even avoid good quality toads - they squeak a lot when you hit them, and they are slippery. And as for toad crap ... :laugh:
About an hour after I posted that I was riding up a hill, went round a corner, and spotted a frogs/toads crossing sign! I thought about taking a picture of it but the gradient was 15+% and I didn't fancy trying to get started again on that evil slope.

straas

Matt
I rode the other way round it, but the surface is good, wide and pretty smooth tarmac.

The path beforehand was nice, just a shame about those spring gates, though they'll be better with a group as one can hold it for all.

There's a particularly nasty one where the gate is just before a steep incline, I had to walk up as I was in the wrong gear to get clipped back in.

I would say if anyone's got the energy at the end the ride round the orme is really scenic, and all one way so there's a great downhill section.

Oh also - the bridge over the Dee near Chester, it looks like you can avoid the A frame gate and go straight on, but there's a drop of 100-200mm so I wouldn't suggest it.

I didn't see any toad signs, but there's a duck crossing sign along the way!

si_c

Guru
Oh also - the bridge over the Dee near Chester, it looks like you can avoid the A frame gate and go straight on, but there's a drop of 100-200mm so I wouldn't suggest it.

Plenty fine that little drop, done it dozens of times.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Now committed ( I should be ) booked train home from Llandudno 19.42, will this mean eating chips on the train?
Really depends on the weather and how long you choose to stay at Eureka Cafe having lunch. Should be ok but play it by ear. If it's a bit of a breezy headwind you should probably not hang around too long at the café

Also, regarding booking bike spaces on the train here is my advice having done this ride for several years:

1) There are two bookable bike spaces on each train. If one is available, book it

2) If the bike spaces have already been booked don't sweat it. I've seen the train rammed with bikes and so long as you're not obstructing the aisles then you're fine. For example, on the recce a couple of weeks ago we just turned up with bikes and got on. I think there were six bikes in total in the "bike space" designed for two bikes

Last edited:
Top Bottom