Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 18 May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You are getting confused now, wait until last orders on the saturday night. Do you know where you are sleeping?
It's you that's confusing everybody!

Look back in the thread, @SteCenturion has booked accomodation Saturday night in Llandudno. The only issue is whether he buys the £19 Advance ticket (first one available about 3.30pm Sunday) or splashes out on the Anytime ticket which is almost twice the price but, as the name suggests, allows you on any train on the Sunday

Freds Dad

Veteran
Unfortunately I am going to have to withdraw from the ride. Apart from my knee not fully recovering after surgery I was admitted to hospital a few days ago with internal bleeding and needed a blood transfusion.

I had booked a ticket from Llandudno to Crewe on the day before the ride as my plan was to drive over on Friday afternoon, leave the car there and then use the car as a way of getting home after the ride. If anyone can use the ticket and its 1st class please contact me. I don't want paying for it but if you would like to make a donation to a charity of your choice it would be appreciated.

Have a good ride everyone and hopefully I will catch some you on another forum ride,

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Unfortunately I am going to have to withdraw from the ride. Apart from my knee not fully recovering after surgery I was admitted to hospital a few days ago with internal bleeding and needed a blood transfusion.

I had booked a ticket from Llandudno to Crewe on the day before the ride as my plan was to drive over on Friday afternoon, leave the car there and then use the car as a way of getting home after the ride. If anyone can use the ticket and its 1st class please contact me. I don't want paying for it but if you would like to make a donation to a charity of your choice it would be appreciated.

Have a good ride everyone and hopefully I will catch some you on another forum ride,

Sorry to hear you can't make it @Freds Dad

Hopefully see you on the same ride next year

straas

Matt
Hi nick,

I can't make the date, but am planning on shamelessly stealing the route for next friday - have the off road sections been tested? Mainly the canal section north of chester and the bit between ruddlan and rhyll

Might do a victory lap of the orme if I've got any energy left

Cheers

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hi nick,

I can't make the date, but am planning on shamelessly stealing the route for next friday - have the off road sections been tested? Mainly the canal section north of chester and the bit between ruddlan and rhyll

Might do a victory lap of the orme if I've got any energy left

Cheers
I'm planning on testing this Saturday.

straas

Matt
Nice, I've included a slight diversion up kelsterton lane at connah's quay to avoid chester road. I can't remember if this was the route in a previous version of the ride or if I just went the wrong way once (as is pretty usual)

si_c

Guru
Nice, I've included a slight diversion up kelsterton lane at connah's quay to avoid chester road. I can't remember if this was the route in a previous version of the ride or if I just went the wrong way once (as is pretty usual)
I think this was the route the first couple of years. It's a nice diversion, I quite like kelsterton lane, there's a couple of leg burners along it.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The bit between Rhuddlan and Rhyl is paved - we passed it on Sunday on the way to Gwydir. (it's near the KFC on the St Asaph roundabout)

Are you stopping off at 'that bar' you were so keen to get to Saturday ? :tongue:
I will be stopping at Bikehub Rhyl for a cuppa. I presume that's what you're referring to :becool:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Full route recce tomorrow as we have a nice easterly breeze. There are a couple of little tweaks early on which should be fine. I just need to check out that canal towpath section near Chester although it looks metalled from Google maps. Also need to do the revised hilly route from Flint to Bike Hub Rhyl as much of that is new. Looks fine on Google maps but you never know

Will let folk know and then firm up the route files after that

si_c

Guru
I just need to check out that canal towpath section near Chester although it looks metalled from Google maps. Also need to do the revised hilly route from Flint to Bike Hub Rhyl as much of that is new. Looks fine on Google maps but you never know

Not sure that it is to be honest, it's very narrow as well. An alternative route would be to go through Croughton village where you would go onto the canal and then follow up to Chorlton and then drop onto the existing route - it's a little bit gravelly and the road surface is less than perfect, but it's solid country lanes and little traffic - albeit a bit more zig zaggy in terms of route.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not sure that it is to be honest, it's very narrow as well. An alternative route would be to go through Croughton village where you would go onto the canal and then follow up to Chorlton and then drop onto the existing route - it's a little bit gravelly and the road surface is less than perfect, but it's solid country lanes and little traffic - albeit a bit more zig zaggy in terms of route.
As I posted previously, I intend to ride to Eureka with everyone else, but then turn back after the cafe stop there.

I had intended to ride to Wigan and catch the train home from there but changed my mind, not really fancying the route around Ellesmere Port and Warrington.

I am now going to ride back to Dunham, take the Bridgewater canal towpath to Walkden, and catch the train nearer to Manchester. I had already decided that I wouldn't bother with the canal towpath back near Chester. I plotted an alternative route from Backford through Caughall Manor and Picton Gorse to Mickle Trafford.

I'll pretty much follow the outward journey on the way back, but have put a couple of small diversions in for variety. For example, bypassing Weaverham and Northwich by crossing the Weaver at Acton Bridge.

If anybody else fancies taking part in the first half of the ride, but for one reason or another would prefer to finish in Manchester rather than Llandudno, you'd be welcome to join me for the ride back.

Domus

Guru
I must admit the idea of a late train back home does not really appeal so a turn around at the lunch stop seems a good idea. As I am hoping to do the Friday night ride the weekend before it may be prudent to be home at a reasonable hour. Will give it some thought.

Top Bottom