Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 18 May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I did the hillier route last time- yes, there are some nasty climbs, but in overall climbing I usually have considerably more on my 100 milers. 5800ft on Thursday, 4300 last year...

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I did the hillier route last time- yes, there are some nasty climbs, but in overall climbing I usually have considerably more on my 100 milers. 5800ft on Thursday, 4300 last year...
I think it's fair to describe it thus...

Miles 0-30, flat
Miles 30-40 rolling (Delamere forest etc)
Miles 40-60 flat
Miles 60-75 hilly if you do the hilly route, flat otherwise
Miles 75-100 flat with one climb into Llandudno

If you do the flat route, it really is a flat ride

Domus

Guru
When I said get to the start I meant finding my way there. Every time I ride to Chorlton Water Park the roads through the city centre have changed. Last time a diverted route had a diversion.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
When I said get to the start I meant finding my way there. Every time I ride to Chorlton Water Park the roads through the city centre have changed. Last time a diverted route had a diversion.
We have an official pickup point in Altrincham (well Broadheath to be precise) if that would suit you better. Just need to be mindful of total miles if you're targeting a century ride. Usually a few start from.there

bigjim

Legendary Member
I laugh at what some of you guys call 'hills' :laugh:
You wouldn't be saying that when you are rolling up it at the end of a 100 mile ride on a Sunday Evening. It's not a hard hill but one of those that is not pleasant. All the club dislike it. Anyway it's not a contest on who is the better hill climber.:rolleyes:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Anyway it's not a contest on who is the better hill climber.:rolleyes:
I'm no great hill climber, but have grown up with the Pennines on my doorstep. Faced with the alternative, which is to turn the other way and ride into Manchester, I have mostly pointed my bicycle at the hills and got on with it. You do get used to them and they stop registering after a couple of times.

bigjim

Legendary Member
At 13 stone, 6' 2", on an XL lightweight bike though, you could be a lot better... :okay:

I'm 6' 1", and was 17+ stone. It is a hell of a lot easier going up these Pennine climbs now at 13-and-a-bit stone! :laugh:
True, but not possible for me. I'm not fat, not overweight. I carry a lot of chest/arm muscle plus big legs and of course a bit of belly fat. Fighting genetics won't work for me and my wife says the Froome look would lead to divorce. I'm happy enough with my size. I'm pretty fast downhill and on the flats though.:smile:
Cycling is not all of me. I spend as much time in the gym or in this weather swimming.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
True, but not possible for me. I'm not fat, not overweight. I carry a lot of chest/arm muscle plus big legs and of course a bit of belly fat. Fighting genetics won't work for me and my wife says the Froome look would lead to divorce. I'm happy enough with my size. I'm pretty fast downhill and on the flats though.:smile:
Cycling is not all of me. I spend as much time in the gym or in this weather swimming.
Ah, yes - I don't have a lot of muscle. I could get down to a Froome-like size (I weighed 10 stone 10 lbs when I was 30) but it wasn't a good look even then when I still had youthful skin. Now I would look incredibly haggard at that weight, with bloodhound-sized jowls!

bigjim

Legendary Member
Ah, yes - I don't have a lot of muscle. I could get down to a Froome-like size (I weighed 10 stone 10 lbs when I was 30) but it wasn't a good look even then when I still had youthful skin. Now I would look incredibly haggard at that weight, with bloodhound-sized jowls!
I weighed 13.5 stone in my 30s and I was addicted to running including marathons so that was, I guess, as low as my body would go and stay healthy. No chest in those days and skinny arms.

Top Bottom