Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike3121

Serious question... how bad is the sand at the destination? I'm tossing between the tourer and the road bike and this may be a factor.

The sand is only a problem on a short section, and that is dependant on wind direction and if the local council have cleared it from the path. I wouldn't worry about it. If it is covering the path its easy enough to carry your bile over it

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The sand is only a problem on a short section, and that is dependant on wind direction and if the local council have cleared it from the path. I wouldn't worry about it. If it is covering the path its easy enough to carry your bile over it

Mike is spot on. It is only a problem if there has been a storm that has deposited loads on the NCN5 cyclepath. There hasn't so it shouldn't be a problem. You just have to watch out for any little patches of sand on the path as "some" participants have come to realise that blasting through these patches is not the best idea

I'm doing hopefully a full final recce on Friday so I'll be able to confirm what the NCN5 is like but I'm not expecting any issues

It's up to you regarding tourer/road bike of course but the path surface is absolutely fine for road bike

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Train booked back from Llandudno Junction to Manchester this Friday pm after the full route recce...well not quite the full route...I'll miss the first bit as I'm starting Glossop and I'm cutting out Eureka

Forecast is amazeballs....sunny, not too warm, 15mph ENE. I should be able to freewheel the 100miles from Glossop I reckon. Let's hope it doesn't change too dramatically for the Big Day

I've also booked my return on Sunday afternoon after the Big Day. The idea is to do a N Wales ride on Sunday morning. However if I'm too knackered/hung over or if it's hosing down over then I'll just chill in 'Spoons. If anyone fancies it on the Sunday I'll be going up the Orme (the easy way, not the suicide hill near the chippy) and then having a whiz out towards Betws y Coed, finishing at Llandudno Junction

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
What time did people arrive into Llandudno last year? I think I'm having to forgo the chips and beer and carry on into Conwy.

The faster riders got there around 6pm if I remember rightly, most people were there before the chip shop closed at 7.30pm.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
What time did people arrive into Llandudno last year? I think I'm having to forgo the chips and beer and carry on into Conwy.

The time you'll get there will depend on 3 things, two of which are under your control

1) How fast you ride. Generally we tend to split into smaller groups later in the ride, particularly after lunch at Eureka so folk can go at a pace that suits them

2) How long you want to stop, particularly for lunch

3) Headwinds/Tailwinds

A steady cyclist with reasonable stops on a calm day would get to Llandudno about 6pm (so about 8 hours cycling at 12.5mph)

BRounsley

Über Member
The time you'll get there will depend on 3 things, two of which are under your control

1) How fast you ride. Generally we tend to split into smaller groups later in the ride, particularly after lunch at Eureka so folk can go at a pace that suits them

2) How long you want to stop, particularly for lunch

3) Headwinds/Tailwinds

A steady cyclist with reasonable stops on a calm day would get to Llandudno about 6pm (so about 8 hours cycling at 12.5mph)

4) and how many spokes you snap!

I can report that today would be a good day to go down the coast path. I can also report that this is the first easterly for some time. I know, my regular ride takes me down the prom in an easterly direction.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I can report that today would be a good day to go down the coast path. I can also report that this is the first easterly for some time. I know, my regular ride takes me down the prom in an easterly direction.

Yup, I'm doing final recce on Friday and forecast is the same. Actually it's just a good excuse to do a long ride with a fierce tailwind

I reckon we can start our umming and aaaahing about the wind direction/strength forecast soon for the Big Day itself

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I still plan to get the train from Eureka environs purely so I can get to the chippy at least once on this ride. Cheating? Nope. A sensible idea for a little'un on a little bike ^_^^_^.

I am feeling somewhat jealous. You'll wave us all off from Eureka and go back to your third cup of tea. After a suitable amount of time, take a very short ride to Shotton and hop on the train. Off at Llandudno Junction and a gentle ride to the chippy to wave us all home

Be sure to wave at us plodding along from your train carriage won't you?

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I still plan to get the train from Eureka environs purely so I can get to the chippy at least once on this ride. Cheating? Nope. A sensible idea for a little'un on a little bike ^_^^_^.

Jump on at Shotton and off at Colwyn Bay and you still get to ride around Rhos on Sea bay and over the hill down into Llandudno ,

Top Bottom