Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
Jump on at Shotton and off at Colwyn Bay and you still get to ride around Rhos on Sea bay and over the hill down into Llandudno ,

Er, thank you sweetie but that's a firm 'no' from me. The words "over the hill" = :ohmy::stop::cry: and brings back memories I'm trying to bury ^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm looking forward to this ride, especially because I have had to pull out of 2 of my own forum rides and the Tour de Yorkshire sportive in the run up to Llandudno.

I still haven't fully recovered from the offending cold but I am fairly sure that I will be well enough to tackle this one on the 13th. If I find that I am not up to the lumpier variation then I will just stick to the flatter route.

si_c

Guru
I'm looking forward to this ride, especially because I have had to pull out of 2 of my own forum rides and the Tour de Yorkshire sportive in the run up to Llandudno.

I still haven't fully recovered from the offending cold but I am fairly sure that I will be well enough to tackle this one on the 13th. If I find that I am not up to the lumpier variation then I will just stick to the flatter route.
Still planning on using the single speed?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Still planning on using the single speed?
I am, but I think I will check the wind forecast the day before. If monster headwinds were predicted then I would probably take my Cannondale instead. I could do without a toxic combination of wobbly legs, spluttery lungs, overgearing and a wall of wind! :laugh:

si_c

Guru
Is there no way to avoid the climb at 95 miles?
You can ride around it, adds about another 2 miles to the ride, and only saves about 40ft of climbing, that being said it is a lot less steep. There is a good footpath on the right hand side, so if you're unsure, you can ride up that, and if needed walk it. It's only about 400m total.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Is there no way to avoid the climb at 95 miles?

The climb is actually a cyclepath/footpath (there is a busy road nearby that we avoid) so I would ride up as much as you can then walk to the top. It's about 300m @10% if I remember correctly.

What you do get in return is a fast, sweeping descent to Llandudno promenade

But if you really want to avoid it, as @si_c says, you need to plan a diversion onto Gloddaeth Lane

Do we have a copy of the route I can look at?
This is last year's flatter route

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18498304

The official 2017 flatter route isn't released yet but it is very likely to be the same as this

This is the proposed hillier route for 2017. It may need a little work on it but gives you a good idea

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18472318

Basically they're exactly the same except the Flatter option takes the A548 from Flint to Prestatyn whereas the Hillier option goes inland onto quieter but lumpier roads. There is one real climb from Flint to Pentre Halkyn which is 800ft over 4 miles. Once up there you roll along and then drop down back to the coast

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Back home having done 102 miles of recce on a really nice day of sunshine and tailwinds

I'll need to make a small change to the route as the seafront at Rhos on Sea is closed for about half a mile. I'll publish the final routes this weekend. I'll also get the ride notes out too

There is also a sandy section immediately after the Bike Hub in Rhyl. It's only about 50m where I had to get off and push so it's not such a big deal

Having done the climb out of Flint it is definitely better than last year's climb. There are some 12% short ramps but generally it was pretty steady

Some photos to whet your appetite

IMG_20170505_100805_1.jpg

Budworth Mere
IMG_20170505_140113.jpg

Prestatyn
IMG_20170505_141425.jpg

Beautiful Rhyl
IMG_20170505_142114.jpg

Sandy section immediately after Bike Hub
IMG_20170505_145539.jpg

Llandudno in the distance
IMG_20170505_153154.jpg

Post ride recovery food

Attachments

• IMG_20170505_141425.jpg
    IMG_20170505_141425.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Good one Nick thanks for the recce.
I bet that was the easiest century you have ever done with the monster easterlies
Are you sure you booked them for the correct date?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
FINAL ROUTES

Here are the links to the final routes

Hillier
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18472318

Flatter
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18498304

Everyone must have a means to navigate the route. That can be the gpx file, cuesheet or even a map. But please don't turn up hoping to follow others. We will split into smaller groups in the second half so there may not be anyone to follow

If you're not familiar with Ridewithgps there is an "Export" button in the top right. If you click that it will allow you to download a tcx/gpx file or the cuesheet

If you're not doing the full route that is no problem. Just download the full route. If you load it to a Garmin, on the day it will ask you "Do you want to Navigate to the beginning of the Course Y/N". Select "N". That way you can hop on the route part way through

Top Bottom