Manchester Sky Ride - Sun 2/8/09

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a_n_t

Quite enjoyed that, loads of riders, ok weather, closed roads - all good!

3780783157_da8f5acaba_b_d.jpg

aJohnson

Looks fun. Wish I could have been there.

dav1d

a_n_t, where do you get the photos from? Or is that one a friend took?
Anyone know when they announce the winner of the bike?:smile:

Someone fell into me before we'd even got going! They did apologise though, and neither me nor the bike was hurt! They were ok too. Was that any of you?:smile:

And was the guy on the unicycle any of you?

It was great fun and I nearly spent a fortune at the cycle shop on Oxford road. We went down from Heaton Park and was impressed with the people leading the rides in. Saw you Manc Wheelers whizzing past us near the water stop! All in all a good day out for all (although I'm not keen on R Murdoch...)

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you came in from Heaton Park, then Trio (from here) was leading the rides (a lady).... I bumped into her twice in Albert Square.

Yeh it was great.... saw the Wheelers. Took about an hour to ride the circuit (at a kid's pace) and we even rode round the velodrome (on the blue area)... my son had a go at the disabled bikes and also the 'skills' area...

Pics will be available on line next week - you just need to note your time through the picture point.....

We did 19 mils (not bad for an 8 year old) - two circuits, then about 3 circuits of the city centre....

Me......

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

PS All hats of to British Cycling, Sky, and most importantly, all the marshals, leaders and helpers. What a fab afternoon....could have cycled all day....

OMG yes we did have a lovely lass lead us down with a chap at the rear. Wished I'd have said something now. All in all with the diversion down Oxford road we did 21.5 miles (we got lost going back lol!) so that's me 20 miler done and dusted whooo hooo

Did you see Simon from Cyclemagic with his Tall Bike? Wish I could have been there too. RPM (who are doing the organising for BC/Sky) wanted me to ride my Penny in the Parade but I was booked at another event.......which was cancelled at the last moment:sad:

Lets hope the Leicester event is a success.

dav1d

Hilldodger said:
Did you see Simon from Cyclemagic with his Tall Bike? Wish I could have been there too. RPM (who are doing the organising for BC/Sky) wanted me to ride my Penny in the Parade but I was booked at another event.......which was cancelled at the last moment:sad:

Lets hope the Leicester event is a success.

I saw the tall bike. Someone said to me "Now that's a bike!":laugh:

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Which tall bike? - there was a fella on a tall bike and there was a fella riding one with stilts....I assume it's the non-stilted bloke....

The mobile disco's were good - two trikes going round that looked a bit like dragsters.... one lass doing disco, and a lad doing rock. There was also a trailer with a rocket on....

Some more shots

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Oh, and there is more........

My son ended up with a BC/Go Ride bottle, some spokey things, and a high vis - they were giving them away by the bucket - I declined mine, but got one for my daughter. Upon arriving home, my 6 y/o daughter said to big brother...."What are you doing wearing that stupid bright yellow top ?" - guess she won't be wearing one - doesn't match or colour co-ordinate (yes at 6).....

Anyway, my son's fave bit was riding round the velodrome... Mine, was riding through China Town..oh the smells.....shame they didn't have any street stalls there....

The plastic matting over the tram tracks was a little iffy for road bikes, but a damn good idea.

Impressed, oh yes. If one is coming near you - just do it.

therams

Yes great afternoon out. Did about 3 miles with the wife and 1 year old son!

The little man actually managed to fall asleep on the back of the bike;). My wife asked me if he was tapping her on the back, but his head was resting on her! I think he had fun though, a lot to take in for the lad!

The plastic on the tram tracks would have been fun in the wet!

Top Bottom