Manchester to Blackpool July 8th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
So next month is the annual mad day out to Blackpool.
I have gone for the earliest start time available of 6.30, with the hope of getting there and most of the way back whilst the marshals are still at there posts.
As i always set of very early i have missed the legendary madness that goes on around 9am, so as i am going for the full 120 miles ride there and back this time, i take it i will see the masses for the first time.(i don't count the year i was the masses on my Halford's mountain bike)

Who's entering the fun filled madness this year and what times you all starting off.

Jmetz

Probably going to go for a 7.30 ish start due to the hour drive to get there. doing it there and back unless the weather is treacherous.

Although now I say that, it states that trains won't be allowing bikes so its going to be a 120mile whatever the weather. :/

Probably going to go for a 7.30 ish start due to the hour drive to get there

An hour? Have they moved Old Trafford? ^_^

FWIW they did the same with the trains last year!

I can't do the ride this year due to family commitments, and I'm gutted TBH. I was hoping to go for a PB and smash 3.5 hours.

M2B is the only Bike Events ride I'll entertain doing anymore. The value for money with Bike Events is poor in comparison to other rides.

The Great Manchester Cycle last Monday showed what an organised mass ride should be like, and Bike Events should be very worried, but I doubt they will bother!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm doing it as part of a works team entry and we haven't had a final briefing yet so not sure of the start time but I fully intend to ride in both directions unless we get a complete monsoon in which case wifey will be commanded to drive the roofrack equiped jalopy to Blackpool to pick me up. I will not allow my bike to be chucked in the back of a works van with all the typical BSO's!

will not be entering this event again - its too dangerous - there are too many riders and too many traffic lights ( which i actualy stopped at ).
I am doing something less dangerous - bunjey jumping in Afganistan with rope tied round my genitals.

tongskie01

i did last year. and its a lot safer coz people tend to avoid riding close to me.

gazmyers

Probably going to go for a 7.30 ish start due to the hour drive to get there. doing it there and back unless the weather is treacherous.

Although now I say that, it states that trains won't be allowing bikes so its going to be a 120mile whatever the weather. :/
Hi planning to go there and back 120 miles there or about.my training 30 to 40 miles every other day maybe couple days off,do you think thats enough training bit scared i might blow up and not finish

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
After the great Manchester cycle this leaves a bad taste tbh

But it's what started me off (first ever big goal) so we will just have to see

OP
OP
DiddlyDodds

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Hi planning to go there and back 120 miles there or about.my training 30 to 40 miles every other day maybe couple days off,do you think thats enough training bit scared i might blow up and not finish

I would say thats a hell of a lot of training , ive only been doing one 30-40miles on a Sunday morning and that was enough to do the very Hilly Skye ride last month (97miles) , so this as this one has very little in the way of hills you should do it easy i would say

Jmetz

Yeah on that training you would get there in a good time. If you are looking to do both ways, that's equally as achievable you just have to apply a little discipline with the pace on the way out as not to get sucked into a racing mentality.

Mello

It is only the first two miles out of Manchester that are crazy. Keep out of trouble over these first couple of miles and then the bikes thin out and its Ok. The long straight road through Preston was very boring and if it is windy, the final couple of miles coming into Blackpool with a long slow climb can be challenging.

Top Bottom