Manchester to Blackpool July 8th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
It is only the first two miles out of Manchester that are crazy. Keep out of trouble over these first couple of miles and then the bikes thin out and its Ok. The long straight road through Preston was very boring and if it is windy, the final couple of miles coming into Blackpool with a long slow climb can be challenging.
I'd disagree, haige hall (sp ) has always been the worst part, twice seen a very very nasty accident

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd disagree, haige hall (sp ) has always been the worst part, twice seen a very very nasty accident
When I did the M-B, I was descending there with extreme caution because conditions were very slippery. The organisers had created chicanes with straw bales to try to ensure safe riding but it didn't work... A fool overtook me at warp speed, hit a bale, was launched over the bars and landed in a crumpled heap beyond! I left him being attended to by first-aiders.

Riding like that persuaded me not to take part again. I am much happier doing forum rides with small groups of riders I can trust and they don't cost me anything!

potsy

Rambler
When I did it 2 years ago they had bypassed Haigh Hall and it was much safer, so I'm lead to believe.
Still some very dodgy riding though, I won't be doing it again.

It was like an extreme version of one of 'London' Gaz's videos :ohmy:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
When I did it 2 years ago they had bypassed Haigh Hall and it was much safer, so I'm lead to believe.

The climb up past is just as bad tho, as people go on the wrong side to pass slower riders etc

Mello

I thought the section through Haigh Hall was the best section of the ride, although I can see why you do get accidents because people pick up speed cycling down into the park and the pathways can be very slippy.

Haigh Hall was missed out again last year so I haven't experienced it as part of the M2B either, (I have on my own though), so I can understand how bad it could get as it's very shaded under the trees and no doubt very slippery in certain conditions.

OP
OP
DiddlyDodds

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I dont mind them missing Haigh Hall , and going through Standish as they did last year , but for those that want to stop and sit on the grass Haigh was a really nice place to do it, so its swings and roundabouts

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Think I'll be there, just need to get a lift.
Why do you need a lift to ride to Blackpool, you are already there :laugh:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Its almost here and starting to get excited now :hyper: Watching Tour de France isn't helping as I just see myself cranking along in a peleton at 20-25mph :laugh:. Doing the 'whole hog' riding from home to the start then home from Blackpool as well! This is a real test of endurance for me as it will be getting close to 130 miles in total and further than I have ever riden in one day by about 25-30 miles.

I'm not sure if this is allowed by forum rules but if anyone want's to sponsor me I am riding as part of a work team entry and raising money for the Christies cancer charity. Any donations, even a pound, will be gratefully received and can be made at www.justgiving.com/nxp4c2012

See you there guys, I plan on wearing my yellow crash test dummy shirt if the weather is kind. I haven't decided yet if I am going to ride the hybrid with guards and panniers or go light and take the road bike (only if the weather is nice!)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Its almost here and starting to get excited now :hyper: Watching Tour de France isn't helping as I just see myself cranking along in a peleton at 20-25mph :laugh:. Doing the 'whole hog' riding from home to the start then home from Blackpool as well! This is a real test of endurance for me as it will be getting close to 130 miles in total and further than I have ever riden in one day by about 25-30 miles.
That's very similar to what I did in 2004 (link) and I certainly wasn't any fitter than you. Just pace yourself and eat and drink plenty and you'll be fine - have fun! :thumbsup:

(I had good weather for my ride. I hope you get a break from all this wind and rain!)

Steve H

Large Member
Think I might stretch my legs for this one. I've not pre-entered. The website says they are taking entries on the day. Any idea the best time to turn up to avoid the masses. Is it best to be there for 6.30 for an entry on the day??

potsy

Rambler
Think I might stretch my legs for this one. I've not pre-entered. The website says they are taking entries on the day. Any idea the best time to turn up to avoid the masses. Is it best to be there for 6.30 for an entry on the day??
Earlier the better Steve, good luck :thumbsup:

Top Bottom