Manchester to Blackpool July 8th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Not been 100% lately so not managed to get much riding done all year. So won't be doing it this year. Will be on a ride organised with Manchester Modernist Society instead to Jodrell Bank.
Hope everyone has a good day on the M2B.

I trust that will be on an appropriate 1960's Vespa or Lambretta :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DiddlyDodds

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Has Skol got there yet? :tongue:

Have a burger for me Steve, you've earnt it :thumbsup:

I had a burger that was made from last weeks bread , beef from a cow that even vultures would turn there nose up at, and a bottle of water that i swear had been filled with tap water and re sealed with super glue aka Slumdog Millionare, all from from the "Curry Cabin" but it was a van so how did that name come about , anyway whilst trying to order they seem to be having a pitch war with the Indians on the next pitch about who was selling the most authentic curry.
As i was doing the return trip after 30mins i gave the bombay traditional curry a wide berth.
Boy oh Boy the ride back was an eye opener , passing the masses, i never seen so many mountain bikes fill a road.

Got there and back without a drop of rain , in fact got my legs and arms sunburnt.

Did anyone see the the girl on the "Wheel"
It was about 4ft diameter with a mountain bike looking tyre on it . with seat on and a small handlebar , was a unicycle but with with a wheel like a half sized penny farting

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
... anybody seen me?

More importantly, did anyone see me? I was on my white/yellow GT road bike with a yellow crash test dummy cycle top and a Skol 'numberplate' fixed on the back of the saddlepack.
I clocked some cracking times despite telling myself I should take it easy as I had a further 60+ miles to do to get back home again.
Home to ride start, 10 miles ave speed 22.2mph ^_^
Manchester to Blackpool 3:15 and ave speed 19.1 mph (you beat me there Gaz but I was taking it easier than I could have done :whistle:)
Perhaps foolishly I did it in one go without stopping as I felt great until the last 3-4 miles when I mysteriously developed jelly legs, perhaps I should have eaten something while on the move. I did actually stop briefly to help one of the motorbike marshalls , He had got to the end of his patch and while turning in the road had dropped his bike. Me and a couple of other riders stopped to get him back on his wheels (there was no way he was going to do it himself, he was about 60 and those things weigh a ton!).
Have a burger for me Steve, you've earnt it :thumbsup:
Yes Potsy I had a double burger or few courtesy of my works hospitality suite and I washed them down with 3 bottles of ice cold Stella (no Skol :sad: but beggars can't be choosers)
After an hour or two of baking in the sunshine I decided I had better head for home so I set off back at about 12.30 and things were going great until I got about half way, just as i was starting to get hilly it began to rain after I had left Ribchester. By the time I got to Great Harwood I was drenched and then just to help matter as I began to climb out of Accrington I got a puncture so had to faff about swapping the tube in the rain. It rained pretty much all the way home as I climbed over the hills around Haslingden and Rochdale but got home at 5.15.
Travelling time 4:14, distance 64 miles and ave speed 15.1mph.

Now here's the important bit........... Drum roll please!

Total distance for the day 136.22 miles
Travelling time 8:02hrs
Average speed for the day, door to door, 16.9mph
MAX speed 95.6mph!!! This really surprised me as I didn't realise I had travelled that fast at any point but then I realised I probably got some interference from somebody elses wireless computer as I flew past :laugh:

Overall, an excellent day

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Got there and back without a drop of rain , in fact got my legs and arms sunburnt.

Did anyone see the the girl on the "Wheel"
It was about 4ft diameter with a mountain bike looking tyre on it . with seat on and a small handlebar , was a unicycle but with with a wheel like a half sized penny farting

Lucky bugger with the weather, I got drenched, I think I set off back later than you and went west into the mountains before heading south to Manchester.

I passed the unicycle about halfway I think and was surprised when I saw them (boy/girl?) cross the line maybe only an hour behind me.

potsy

Rambler
I had a burger that was made from last weeks bread , beef from a cow that even vultures would turn there nose up at, and a bottle of water that i swear had been filled with tap water and re sealed with super glue aka Slumdog Millionare, all from from the "Curry Cabin" but it was a van so how did that name come about

When we rode to Blackpool the other year, me and brompton had the worst burger ever created from a place on the seafront, still have no idea what the 'meat' was :unsure:
We were so hungry though I think we both ate them xx(

wisdom

Guru
Hi all i put a post on the other catagory for informal rides....apologies for that
Is anyone going to post some photos?

Edwards80

Über Member
Rather enjoyed that :biggrin: - http://app.strava.com/rides/12836743

Didn't see much silly riding after being warned about it so much. Weather was ace and I now have comedy sunburn that ends at my wrists :smile: - Met up with some fellow Manchester Wheelers on the way back and shared the workload. Ace!

I got in and jokingly suggested that I could probably carry on riding to my wife. . . to which she said "Oh cool, can we ride to my mums?" - Doh! Just got back in from that, got a little bit wet. feel fine though!

142 miles total for the day :sweat:

Top Bottom