Manchester to Blackpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just got home. 3 hours 10, soaked twice, lucky to ride with a good group of about 8. All taking turns at the front. My first experience of a large organised ride and I'll definately be doing more...........goody bag was a bit pants though
sad.gif

How on earth did you achieve 3:10 with say 9000 cyclists on the road - 50 junctions including traffic lights - if you stopped at each junction for say on average 15 seconds that is 12.5 mins in total - you did the ride when in the saddle at an average of 21 mph - please inform me

I think this goes to show why it was worth the trouble getting up at 5am to get a good early start

I did and when i started at 7:00 am i was informed that that 2500 had allready started

DefBref

Über Member
How on earth did you achieve 3:10 with say 9000 cyclists on the road - 50 junctions including traffic lights - if you stopped at each junction for say on average 15 seconds that is 12.5 mins in total - you did the ride when in the saddle at an average of 21 mph - please inform me

Perhaps whatever he used to measure his time, autopauses when stationary, so not counting that 12.5 minutes and any other pauses. My app I use on my iphone does this.

Or Perhaps he's just really good.

tongskie01

Well done to everyone that completed no matter how long it took! me and my fella did it, never done anything like this before and we actually finished it!

Darren my other half suffered a stroke in January this year at the age of 41 so he wanted to raise money for a charity that has supported him since the day he came out of hospital.

Please bear in mind that the most we had cycled was 22 miles! We tried our hardest to keep out of everyone's way and had the best day ever although today i am unable to walk hehe!

We did it for charity and to us was well worth paying the £17 entry fee as we'd never done it before.

We did it for a charity called Different Stroke which supports younger stroke survivors like Darren and yesterday he made me so proud by actually finishing the ride, 6 months after having the stroke. He's still not 100% but sheer determination got him over that finishing line!

It really was an amazing experience. Will I do it again? I very much doubt it but Dirty Daz is already on the look out for a new bike as he has well and truley caught the bug and is considering the Manchester 100!!! Now that i'm NOT doing!

Anyway well done to everyone again and how some have you have done it in the times that you have is amazing!

Dollydimple xx

P.s did anyone else see the man on the really tall bike? please can someone tell me how he got on and off it and what he did and traffic lights if they were on red!!!!! ;)
haven't you seen the lowest bike yet?
269930_10150310802112139_699882138_9568296_6016246_n.jpg

gb155

Fan Boy No More.

i too got 3 hrs 10

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
IT Most certainly is a charity ride - when I entered all the mail I received was from The Christie Charitable fund - together with two sponsership forms and a letter signed by Marco Giannini the sporting events officer for Christie NHS - and yes I raised quite a lot of money via the two forms

I'm glad you were able to raise money for your chosen charities but I was as surprised as many to learn that not a fraction of the entry fee goes to charity.

I guess it's more a principal thing than anything else, I'd pay £20 if I thought £2 was going to charity but I won't pay £17 with nothing going to charity. I suppose I could raise money in the sponsorship way, but I'd feel a bit daft. I couldn't ask someone to sponsor me to do something I would do anyway, and can comfortably achieve.

Maybe I should've done a GB155 and asked people to sponsor me to do it in under 3 hours.

As for the time, 3:10 is 9 minutes less than my time, and I can think of a good few stretches where I was chatting that I could have put the hammer down instead, so I think it's very achievable.

Perhaps whatever he used to measure his time, autopauses when stationary, so not counting that 12.5 minutes and any other pauses. My app I use on my iphone does this.

Or Perhaps he's just really good.

I take your point - is it possible - that the times being quoted are cycling times and not total lapsed time from start to finish - that is why when i posted my time i gave both - I too have a computer on the bike that has autopause - i also wear a stopwatch on my arm that measures total lapsed time

eddie coffin

Set off at 640 so certainly not more than 50 or so riders in front of me. Very quickly was with a group of about 12 others riding at a good pace in quite tight formation (although i'm certainly no expert to judge) there was never much more than a couple of feet between bikes. I dont feel like we were that lucky with the lights in fact at one point a few others were complaining that we hadnt hit a green one all day. Didnt go through any red's (apart form the last one in Lytham, no-one wants to slow down in Lytham) We went past about 20-30 others on the course of the ride and only one guy on his own in a full Sky kit came past us (I think I might have shouted chapeau as he disappeared into the distance).
As I'm pretty new to this sport and I almost always ride on my own I really dont know if that ride was quick or not but riding in tight formation certainly helped. Also if the roads had been as busy for me as they were for you I definately wouldnt have as quick. As so many have said, it isnt a race!!

crisscross

Ha! You may all be faster than me .... but I made it into the Manchester Evening News!

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...eir-bikes-to-blackpool-in-aid-of-the-christie

Stu669

Hi everyone this was my first mass people ride an I gotta say loved every min of it my time was 3:24 on the bike computer but 3:30 ish real time want to do it again like now ha also wanna say a big well done to everyone who took part and congrats to people who beat their previous times. I'm deffo hoping to do it faster next year also on a better bike than my crappy (flat bar previously bent rear derailieur) carrera

IG88

I picked this event for trying my first 100 miles plus ride. Its my favourite event of the year . Did there and back in 7 hours 18 minutes saddle time. Add 3/4 hour at blackpool and a 20 minutes pint halfway back. Thoroughly knackered at the end but glad to get that milestone under my belt.

eddie coffin

I picked this event for trying my first 100 miles plus ride. Its my favourite event of the year . Did there and back in 7 hours 18 minutes saddle time. Add 3/4 hour at blackpool and a 20 minutes pint halfway back. Thoroughly knackered at the end but glad to get that milestone under my belt.

That sounds like a good effort. A couple of the lads in our group only had a half hour food break at Blackpool before turning round and cycling back to Manchester. Can't say I would have fancied that. Still not done a 100 yet
sad.gif

tinyboy

Regular
time i got this year was 3 hours 34 mins crashed in ecclestone. was doing well up until then. was in a half decent group till guy drops his bottle then brakes hard to retreive. think if i do it next year would try an start with group of guys i know or at least guys that will work together.

eddie coffin

time i got this year was 3 hours 34 mins crashed in ecclestone. was doing well up until then. was in a half decent group till guy drops his bottle then brakes hard to retreive. think if i do it next year would try an start with group of guys i know or at least guys that will work together.

I think if you're looking for a good time or just to stay out of trouble that is essential......also, in my experience, a bottle of bourbon the night before is not a huge help..............

Top Bottom