Manchester to Blackpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuanLobbe

Über Member
Completed the ride in 4.02 which for me was awesome, especially as my furthest previous ride was 46 miles.

It's LOADS more fun riding in groups, and faster too!

Hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. Bring on next year!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
3:30 for me although took it easy with a mate for the first 25 miles. Rode through the most horrendous downpour near Wigan hailstones and an inch of standing water on the road. I quite liked the fact we got a loaf of Soreen at the end as it will be consumed with pleasure. Was going to cycle back, but due to an abscess on one of my teeth and a week on meds decided to get a lift from St Annes. So with the morning ride with my mate from Oldham a nice round 75 miles. I know there are loads of scallies on BSOs but there is something good about cycling with that large a number of people. :smile:

crisscross

We finished in two and a half weeks - or so it seemed!

The rain at Standish was incredible - it was bouncing up off the deck and the hill was like a waterfall.

So many people abandonned and sheltered but my two kids carried on bravely.

Jack, my 8 year old, received a load of plaudits - despite him being called a "fantastic litle girl"dozens of times due to his pink leg warmers, tutu and T Mobile top!

They'd run out of goodie bags before we arrived so no loss there then.

DTD

Veteran
The rain was BAD, but I was dry(ish) again by the end.
Enjoyed it, just wondering if I could do the 100 miler in September.

perplexed

Guru
Well, I set off just before 7.00 am, and hit every set of red lights...

Still, my time was 3 hours 31 minutes, and the headwinds weren't as bad as I thought they may be...

It would have been nice if the bloke who wheel sucked me for god knows how many miles had come through and taken a turn!:wacko:

Eventually dropped the bugger on a hill.:whistle:

Judderz

Finished in 3:34:01...my first time, so pleased with the time, didn't see a spot of rain all the way, which was nice, left Old Trafford at 8.05am.

As mentioned, hated the wheelsuckers, specially coming into Lytham when I was leading an 8 man train, and no one taking their turn, so slowed it down till they got fed up and overtook me, so I jump on the back of them :smile:

Thoroughly enjoyed it!!

well - I Finished to - 4:56 on the bike - total time of 6:12 - due to 2 punctures - for all those who did it in between 3 and 4 hours you must be fit - you averaged 18 mph - with between 50 and 60 junctions including traffic lights - a number of crashes - I saw one were police and ambulances were called - If a photograph had been taken from the air you would have thought it was the tour de France at times - overtaking on the inside - cycling not just over the center line but in the gutter on the other side of the road - going through red lights - telling the marshall to go forth and multiply - I achieved it slightly over the time I planned - in fact I found it easy compared with the 141 charity ride I did on the previous Sunday - However I dont think I will be doing it next year - I think I will do something less dangerous like bungee jumping in Afganistan with the rope tied round my genitals - I have completed 5 charity rides all over the country in the last 10 weeks - ranging from 45 miles to 141 miles - but I have never completed one as dangerous as that

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
I never felt edangered but I did think lots of others took very unnecessary risks. It annoyed me when I would pass a group of riders and then when stopped for traffic lights they would pile through on red, only for me to pass them again. Surely the best way to go faster is simply to pedal harder, instead of barreling through red lights and passing on the opposite side of the road in front of traffic and then when the driver sounds his horn, sticking your fingers up and calling him a wa**er.

And this was a road biker, not a chav on a BMX.

And remember mad pensioner; it's not really a charity ride. Though I hope you raised money if you were riding for a cause. I donated to Christies at the standish golf club.

Dollydimple

Well done to everyone that completed no matter how long it took! me and my fella did it, never done anything like this before and we actually finished it!

Darren my other half suffered a stroke in January this year at the age of 41 so he wanted to raise money for a charity that has supported him since the day he came out of hospital.

Please bear in mind that the most we had cycled was 22 miles! We tried our hardest to keep out of everyone's way and had the best day ever although today i am unable to walk hehe!

We did it for charity and to us was well worth paying the £17 entry fee as we'd never done it before.

We did it for a charity called Different Stroke which supports younger stroke survivors like Darren and yesterday he made me so proud by actually finishing the ride, 6 months after having the stroke. He's still not 100% but sheer determination got him over that finishing line!

It really was an amazing experience. Will I do it again? I very much doubt it but Dirty Daz is already on the look out for a new bike as he has well and truley caught the bug and is considering the Manchester 100!!! Now that i'm NOT doing!

Anyway well done to everyone again and how some have you have done it in the times that you have is amazing!

Dollydimple xx

P.s did anyone else see the man on the really tall bike? please can someone tell me how he got on and off it and what he did and traffic lights if they were on red!!!!! ;)

eddie coffin

I think this goes to show why it was worth the trouble getting up at 5am to get a good early start
well - I Finished to - 4:56 on the bike - total time of 6:12 - due to 2 punctures - for all those who did it in between 3 and 4 hours you must be fit - you averaged 18 mph - with between 50 and 60 junctions including traffic lights - a number of crashes - I saw one were police and ambulances were called - If a photograph had been taken from the air you would have thought it was the tour de France at times - overtaking on the inside - cycling not just over the center line but in the gutter on the other side of the road - going through red lights - telling the marshall to go forth and multiply - I achieved it slightly over the time I planned - in fact I found it easy compared with the 141 charity ride I did on the previous Sunday - However I dont think I will be doing it next year - I think I will do something less dangerous like bungee jumping in Afganistan with the rope tied round my genitals - I have completed 5 charity rides all over the country in the last 10 weeks - ranging from 45 miles to 141 miles - but I have never completed one as dangerous as that

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
I think this goes to show why it was worth the trouble getting up at 5am to get a good early start

I didn't see any crashes but did see a fellow sat on the verge looking dazed near freckleton. The change of route up past preston arena took me a little by surprise this year; quicker, but don't know if it was better. Didn't stop at the arena, would've been another 5 miles on the total given how far from the road it is.

I never felt edangered but I did think lots of others took very unnecessary risks. It annoyed me when I would pass a group of riders and then when stopped for traffic lights they would pile through on red, only for me to pass them again. Surely the best way to go faster is simply to pedal harder, instead of barreling through red lights and passing on the opposite side of the road in front of traffic and then when the driver sounds his horn, sticking your fingers up and calling him a wa**er.

And this was a road biker, not a chav on a BMX.

And remember mad pensioner; it's not really a charity ride. Though I hope you raised money if you were riding for a cause. I donated to Christies at the standish golf club.

IT Most certainly is a charity ride - when I entered all the mail I received was from The Christie Charitable fund - together with two sponsership forms and a letter signed by Marco Giannini the sporting events officer for Christie NHS - and yes I raised quite a lot of money via the two forms

Top Bottom