Manners - which do you miss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christopher

Über Member
Nope, know it fairly well. My dad was originally from Gt Harwood or Arrad as they call it. Cousins etc lived in Ossie. Neither are where I'm from though :smile:
I was at a meeting with the publick in Barnoldswick the other day. The local term for the town is 'Barlick' which confused me for quite some time: pray, where is this Barlick of which you speak so frequently? Oh and there is a lot of resentment around there re the 1974 boundary chnages with places passing from Yorkshire to that lancashire..

martint235

Dog on a bike
Barlick is technically in Pendle borough. A few years ago Pendle decided all street signs would have a red rose on them. The screaming that went on, you wouldn't believe.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I'll have to confess to using 'mate' a lot, mainly because I'm rubbish at remembering people's names and it's not as bad as calling someone Pete when their name's Bill, or in a worse case scenario Sharon.
I'm the same. Where I work there are three women, all of a similar look and build, called Ann, Anna and Andrea. I could never remember who was who so a good old Lancashire greeting of "Alright Luv" got me passed that problem!^_^

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I think that he's probably driven through Accrington once Ron, and he's probably read a few negative stories about the place. Ignorance is bliss eh?!:rolleyes:
Too right Accy!! I used to live up Huncoat and had a good view of Pendle Hill( when it wasn't raining of course!). The countryside in all directions makes Accy a good base. And it's got two of the best chippy's in Lancashire. Church Street and Andy's on Marlborough Road.:hungry:

Top Bottom