Manners - which do you miss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I miss children saying "thank you for having me" when they've been round for tea. I was brought up to thank the adult whose house it was I'd visited and have taught my children to do the same, but not many others do it seems.
t!

My daughters friends (18-20) still say that after sleeping over

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
My daughters friends (18-20) still say that after sleeping over

Must Resist...
I'm sure there's a comment there...... shall I just wait for Fnaar? :ohmy:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
On that note, when you ask "how are you" or do "do want" (a cup of tea), the reply "(No) I'm good".
I'm good!!!!! Ahhh
I always reply "good at what?"

I am not a fan of 'have a nice day'. I have been known to point out that I do have other plans. Only when I am in a particularly churlish frame of mind though.

I don't like being called 'mate', 'love' or 'dear' either but its how people seem to talk nowadays. Being properly brought up, I answer people's questions when a mate, love or dear is put in there and then whinge about it later. However, the other day when some overly loud and exceedingly bossy American said "You wanna tell me the way to the Cathedral then?" as a question, I said 'No, not particularly'. He looked a bit confused and I remembered my manners and sent him to the nearest cathedral, which was the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Norwich, the build of which was finished in 1969. He probably meant me to direct him to the lovely old Anglican Catheral c.1118 but he didn't make his intentions clear. I normally find American tourists to be very polite but this one wasn't and I was having a bad day.
Last time I was on a bus, I stood up to let a very pregnant lady sit down and some oik with greasy hair and big headphones pushed past her and onto my seat. Tempted as I was to grab him by the ear and shift him, I was worried about being knifed by him so the pregnant lady and I just discussed him for a while.

screenman

Legendary Member
I get a good feeling being polite, despite a crap childhood on a rough estate I have grown up polite and polite is how I hope to stay. If I get a good felling being polite then those who are impolite are missing out, miserable gits.

There is a good reason to hold a door open for a women, specially those with a nice bum.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Looks like you have everything, down there(!) :rofl:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ-tnA6dxP0

I'm surprised that is still out there :tongue:. I know the guy who made it. I think he'd just got a parking ticket and was shall we say, upset. You can see the kind of guy he is with another of his videos.

Still although Welling has improved, it doesn't matter as I'm from a part of Lancashire that gets to laugh at Accrington all the time (doesn't narrow it down a lot I know!). My missus shudders whenever we go through Accrington, she reckons it's the only place left that makes Sidcup look posh! :thumbsup:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm surprised that is still out there :tongue:. I know the guy who made it. I think he'd just got a parking ticket and was shall we say, upset. You can see the kind of guy he is with another of his videos.

Still although Welling has improved, it doesn't matter as I'm from a part of Lancashire that gets to laugh at Accrington all the time (doesn't narrow it down a lot I know!). My missus shudders whenever we go through Accrington, she reckons it's the only place left that makes Sidcup look posh! :thumbsup:

Accy and the borough of Hyndburn is classed as one of the poorest boroughs in England, and granted it has more run down areas than affluent ones, but as far as i know the crime rate is below average, and where i live we're only 5 minutes walk from miles and miles of countryside. Give me the hills of east Lancs over the boring flatlands of west Lancs any day! :cheers:;)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
One thing that really grinds my gears is people not letting you out of the lift before they enter, the same goes for trains, tubes and buildings in general. I always though it was polite to let people out before you got in and as such I will make a comment about it

martint235

Dog on a bike
Accy and the borough of Hyndburn is classed as one of the poorest boroughs in England, and granted it has more run down areas than affluent ones, but as far as i know the crime rate is below average, and where i live we're only 5 minutes walk from miles and miles of countryside. Give me the hills of east Lancs over the boring flatlands of west Lancs any day! :cheers:;)
What on earth makes you think I'm a flatlander? Rather than "laugh" at Accrington I should probably have used the term "look down on"

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
What on earth makes you think I'm a flatlander? Rather than "laugh" at Accrington I should probably have used the term "look down on"
I thought this thread was about manners. Should you really be insulting about another persons hometown? Show me a "perfect town" , Burnley or Blackburn perhaps? Go on at least tell us where you are from. "Judge not lest ye be Judged"

bigjim

Legendary Member
I don't like this new habit among politicions. I think it was started by Tony Bliar.
They start sentances with the word "look!". I think that is particularly bad mannered.

Give me the hills of east Lancs over the boring flatlands of west Lancs any day!
I don't think that when I'm climbing Roundhills on a cold, wet and windy Sunday afternoon on the way back to Bury.

Is it bad manners when someone's phone rings the first person in their contact lists when pressed accidently at 6:30 this morning? Good job I was awake anyway.

I'm not mentioning any names but Adrian should check his outgoing call log log history...............:hello:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Is it bad manners when someone's phone rings the first person in their contact lists when pressed accidently at 6:30 this morning? Good job I was awake anyway.

I'm not mentioning any names but Adrian should check his outgoing call log log history...............:hello:

oooh, that's got to be a round or ten

Top Bottom