Manners - which do you miss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I was there.. I was a witness. In fact I think this photo was the exact moment Mac was buying ME a pint. :thumbsup:
Not exactly a "round" then.

Cheddar George

oober member
I miss children saying "thank you for having me" when they've been round for tea. I was brought up to thank the adult whose house it was I'd visited and have taught my children to do the same, but not many others do it seems.
Manners seem to go out the window completely in the supermarket too. Nobody says excuse me, they either stand tutting behind you until you realise and step out of the way, or they barge past-or as happened to me last week, they push you not so gently with their trolley and make you move!
And I don't know if this is manners as such, but working at the till I find it really rude when people throw their money down on the counter.I'm holding out my hand, put the money in it!

I was also raised to say "thank you for having me." Unfortunately when we had kids i had to bite my tongue when the most ill behaved brat would be collected by his parents and he would stand in the doorway adopt an angelic smile and thank us for having him while his mother looked on with maternal pride.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
78p for a tin of mushy peas?:eek:

It's a bit of a rip-off, but it's so close and when you want mushy peas you've just got to have 'em.

Actually I just made up the price, they could be more or less than 78p. There's only one brand in the Stop n'Shop- Happy Shopper. Next time I go I'll update the thread with the real price, shall we have a sweepstake? (Happy Shopper mushy peas not Happy Shopper "chip-shop style" mushy peas)

ayceejay

Guru
What really boils my **** is people being polite when it doesn't help anyone. It's irrational and perhaps a bit grumpy of me but I'll try to explain. (Mrs Cube doesn't quite see why it's irritating) I live at the top of a lot of hills. The roads up to the top are steep, and being residential are littered with parked cars. I tend to plan ahead when I'm driving, and if I see a car approaching the other side of a car parked on my side of the road I will slow, change gear and get into a position to let the approaching car pass. I've done all the necessary preparation, and am timing it to suit me. As the gap clears I will go into the routine of getting the car going again, possibly, but not always a hill start from a standstill, but the timing all depends on the approaching car doing their bit, ie going through the gap I'm leaving them. All's going really well until the (in)considerate b*stard stops the other side of the obstruction and flashes me through. I don't want them to f*cking let me through, they've just bolloxed my finely judged routine. HOW F*CKING DARE THEY???
I have a variation on this: at a narrow bridge near here, I stop to allow the oncoming through and some twat overtakes me followed by a Pythonesque waving of arms and a litany of swear words that mean nothing at all outside of Quebec.e.g "tabernack (tabernacle) collis (chalice) crisse (christ) sacremere (sacrement) and so on.
Sometimes I laugh, sometimes I cry.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Litter. That's bad manners right there. And what worse I Seem to be seeing more and more cycle snack related litter, like gel pouches and energy bar packets. Take your litter home with you, ya moron TWUNT.

Why on earth would anyone expect the average teenager [or younger] to have manners, virtually [get it?] all communication is done via a mobile device and social face to face interaction is rapidly going the way of the phone box. Not just kids either, last night I was at the train station, there were 5 people sat on 2 benches and all had their heads down doing something on their smart phones so even eye contact was lost.. In days gone by they might even have started up a conversation, these days if you do start a conversation you are looked at suspiciously and I think it is getting worse.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
2283213 said:
You are Matthew Parris AICMFP.

You are wrong, and I have no idea who or what is Matthew Parris, and I certainly can not be bottomed to look him/it up. So no five pound for you young fella me lad.

Top Bottom