Man's great inventions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
It may be a North/South thing :angry:

C'mon, pies should be embraced by all. :ohmy:

Just think of how simple yet how effective a pie is.

Think of all the fillings. Sweet and savoury. :sad::biggrin:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Noodley said:
C'mon, pies should be embraced by all. :ohmy:

Just think of how simple yet how effective a pie is.

Think of all the fillings. Sweet and savoury. :angry::sad:

Coming as I do from the South Westerly end of our great nation, I have to admit a big liking for the Cornish Pastie...a regional varient on the Pie theme for the tin-mining classes!

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
Coming as I do from the South Westerly end of our great nation, I have to admit a big liking for the Cornish Pastie...a regional varient on the Pie theme for the tin-mining classes!

Well, coming from Forfar as I do I have a liking for Bridies. Mmmm :ohmy:
When I had my wine business I used to have an annual "Great Forfar Bridie Wine challenge" where a few wine journalists and wine suppliers (and even a few winemakers) submitted wines to match with a Forfar Bridie.

The first year it was won by a Barbera d'Asti and the supplier e-mailed the winemaker to let him know. He sent accompanying newspaper cuttings, tasting notes and photos. The winemaker (one of Italy's premier winemakers I should add) wrote to me inviting me over for a visit - I never got round to it, but I di go for lunch with him when he was next over in the UK. The following year a few top Aussie winemakers were in the country and came up for the event. It was very bizarre having winemakers who were rated as some of the best in the world (by Robert Parker) sitting eating bridies and slurping back bottles of wine worth £100's. :angry:

Anyway, back to the OT...

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Noodley said:
Well, coming from Forfar as I do I have a liking for Bridies. Mmmm :ohmy:
When I had my wine business I used to have an annual "Great Forfar Bridie Wine challenge" where a few wine journalists and wine suppliers (and even a few winemakers) submitted wines to match with a Forfar Bridie.

The first year it was won by a Barbera d'Asti and the supplier e-mailed the winemaker to let him know. He sent accompanying newspaper cuttings, tasting notes and photos. The winemaker (one of Italy's premier winemakers I should add) wrote to me inviting me over for a visit - I never got round to it, but I di go for lunch with him when he was next over in the UK. The following year a few top Aussie winemakers were in the country and came up for the event. It was very bizarre having winemakers who were rated as some of the best in the world (by Robert Parker) sitting eating bridies and slurping back bottles of wine worth £100's. :sad:

Anyway, back to the OT...

Most excellent Noodley, most excellent! That sort of thing really appeals to me :angry:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Sometimes combinations of things come together (steady now) in a particularly inimitable way; for example, the stepladder and the mini-skirt. :ohmy::tongue::biggrin::tongue::biggrin::tongue:

Fab Foodie said:
OK Hilldoger :ohmy:....please correct me... (I'm no expert on the development of the bicycle)
I guess it's the Safety bicycle and onwards that I was thinking of, the direct ancestor of our present designs...

Think it should really just be the bicycle because without the Penny there wouldn't have been the need to invent the Safety and without the Boneshaker there wouldn't have been the need to develop the Penny.

But neither could have been invented without the developments of their predecessor.

SamNichols

Guitar Hero. A great game, but I was wondering whilst playing it yesterday: why did we invent this? What was the need? (Still pretty fun though).

SamNichols said:
Guitar Hero. A great game....

Ahh! It's a game. I didn't get you reference to it in another thread, found it on the internet now.

I don't get it though. It must be age :tongue:

Top Bottom