Marking my half century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
This year will see me reaching the grand old age of 50 :blush: & I've decided to embrace it & do some '50' related challenges, a couple of which are cycling related :okay:
Thought I'd share it with all the good folk of CC, maybe it'll inspire some one else to do something similar & maybe I'll feel more likely to complete the challenges :smile:

1st challenge shouldn't be too difficult :rolleyes: Ride 50km each day for 50 consecutive days. Living in the flatlands of East Yorkshire 50km isn't a hard ride normally & my commute is just over 50km so that qualifies :okay:
Currently done 10 days of 50km or more & the legs are suffering a little, to I've been trying to ride steady for last couple of days & hoping weather stays kind to me, strong winds or heavy rain could spoil my fun.

2nd challenge is more difficult. I thought about tackling 50 of the 100 greatest climbs in the UK, but logistically it was a nightmare, I'd be driving all over the country to do 1 or 2 climbs at a time & not sure I'd have the time or finances to spare, so after looking at the 100 climbs leaderboards on Veloviewer I noticed there's more regional climbs listed, so reckon I can do 50 that are mostly in Yorkshire. Bearing in mind I'm currently 16 stone, even some of the smaller climbs are not too easy :sad:
My progress so far (25/50);
18th April - Brantingham Dale, 9 mins 2 secs (strava 815th /3142) thought I'd ridden this years ago, but I hadn't & wasn't sure how the climb went to took it steady.
26th April - Nunburnholme Hill, 7mins 30secs (PR 6mins 3secs) Done this climb a few times, but the heavy rain & cross wind made it more challenging
8th May - Jenkin Rd 4 mins 54secs (strava 968th/1771) Very early in the ride, less than 1 mile warm up & red traffic lights after a short climb didnt help
Woodfall Ln (Cote de Bradfield) 11mins 20secs (strava 479th/1785) Long & quite steep in places, toughest climb so far. Thought I'd reached the summit at the crossroads, but no, straight across & it ramps up again.
Oughtibridge Ln 9mins 43secs (2053th/4005) Another long steady climb
Spout Ln 7mins 17secs (803rd/1158) Quite steep in places & temporary road works/traffic lights at the top didn't help
Lodge ln 7mins 13secs (1230th/2235) Another short steep climb, another rider on my wheel puffing & panting was a little off putting, so stopped to let him pass & have a breather, then carried on. Tough climb with tired legs.
23rd May - Holme Moss 12mins 16secs (4736/17457) I'd heard a lot about this climb, but it wasn't as hard as I'd expected, not too steep but a long drag.
Jackson Bridge 9mins 40secs (1676/3016) Probably the hardest climb I've done yet this year, very steep in places & quite long.
Wessenden Head 18mins 14secs (1157/3442) Not the steepest climb, but after a lot of climbing already today, over 2 miles of steady climbing was tough
17th June - Shibden Wall 8mins 44secs (1712/2570) Very tough cobbled climb & the first climb in a very long time that I've had to walk up :sad: Got about half way, but my front wheel kept lifting & my rear was bouncing off the cobbles, felt like I could take a tumble at anytime. Might re-visit again later in the year
Trooper Lane 10mins 4secs (851/1402) Again I only got about half way, it was drizzling at this point & when I got onto the cobbled section was slipping & sliding all over, I even struggled to walk up it was that slippy :sad:
Ploughcroft Lane 4mins (155/265) Road closed sign at the bottom of the climb, but though I'd be ok on a bike, again it was cobbled, but the centre of the road was well cemented between the cobbles keeping the bike a little steadier. About half way up there was a barrier all the way across the road, so had to stop & walk round edge & then re-start the climb on the cobble, which was fun (2nd attempt 26/9 3mins 21secs 97/303)
26th June - Holywell Zig Zag 5mins 29secs (979/4635) Quite a long steady climb, not too steep & actually quite pleasant, passed an old guy on the way up, who told me to use my brakes, made me smile :smile: (This was on a test bike/ride from Enigma)
5th July - White Gate 6mins 12secs (171/666) 16% climb (according to road sign) very hot day & only 5 hours kip after last nights shift, made this climb harder than it probably should have been. Quite testing, in bottom gear & wishing I had another, but slowly made it up
Ganton Hill 7mins 2secs (53/195) as above, but 17%
23rd July - Painsthorpe lane, 7mins 8secs (358/1606) Long steady climb, with just a couple of testing parts, nice warm up for the next 2 climbs. Done this climb once before, almost 3 years to the day ago, but a whole 16 seconds quicker today.
Thrussendale Rd (Acklam Brow), 5mins 6secs (247/1531) short steep climb & quite testing at 20% 27 secs quicker than my previous effort, so happy with that.
Hanging Grimston, 10mins 50secs (PR 10mins 25secs) Long & steady climb with some quite testing parts, I was far too warm by the time I got here so slow steady spin all the way up
7th Aug - Boltby Bank, 9mins 29secs (1764/3279) Only 0.7mile long, but it felt longer. Very straight in parts, so you can just see it going up & up. Had to stop a couple of times to get a breather as there was no shade from the sun today going up there.
White Horse Bank. 10mins 30secs (2035/5795) Much nicer climb, zig zagging up the hillside, didn't feel as steep as Boltby & with all the bends you can only see a bit at a time which helped mentally, although the last right hand bend did seem to ramp up a bit
26th Sept - Game scare Lane, 1min 51secs (571/3934) Short sharp climb, really tough start to the day, but glad it was only short
Thwaites Brow 7mins 46secs (484/1033) rough cobbled climb & rather steep in places, very testing
Hainworth Lane 9mins 44secs (208/497) another rough cobbled climb, the start of which is under cover of trees & leaves the cobbles a little slippy :sad:
Oxenhope Moor 15mins 44secs (3502/7053) Long steady climb, but there was no shelter from the headwind which made it a very long drag to the top. Even the descent down the other side was steady into the wind

Last edited:

Serge

Über Member
Nice one. Good luck with those challenges (I might do the same when I turn 50, although I think I'll probably tackle the hills from the top!).

Renmurew

Veteran
Well done and good luck on your challenges. Its great having something to keep you motivated.

A friend turned 50 last year and her challenge was to take part in 50 timed events through the year, either cycling or running. An event qualified if she got a race number and an official time. She took part in some amazing events, has wonderful memories and pictures and finished by running the Vienna Marathon.

I turned 50 a couple of years ago and my challenge was to ride the Etape loch Ness the week of my birthday having only started cycling the year before.

My challenge this year turning 52 was to take up triathlons. 1 down, 2 to go. Loving it and wondering what my next challenge will be.

Another year......another challenge!

:-)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Good luck with your challenge @Soltydog don't worry about the big 50 I past it 2 years ago and I'm getting faster each year

You're only 52? :eek:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You probably already exceed this total distance, but if you don't how about a 2,500 (50 x 50) mile target for the year? (Or perhaps 5,000 miles - 50 x 50 x 2, or 7,500 miles - 50 x 50 x 3). Or do the same thing in metric units - 7,500 km, 10,000 km etc.

Do a single ride with at least 2,500 (50 x 50) metres of climbing**? Come over here and do the Season of Mists audax in October, or if you'd prefer it - various local CycleChat members could arrange to do it with you as a forum ride. Too much climbing - try 1,250 metres (50 x 50 / 2). (**Or similar imperial equivalents - 2,500 ft, 5,000 ft, 7,500 ft.) Not enough climbing (are you mad!!) - do SoM once in one direction and then do it again the opposite direction!

How about a ride which is 50 x n miles/kms in length, and is longer than anything that you have done before? (If you have done a 112 mile ride, then it might be 150 miles; a 207 km ride might be bettered by a 250 km ride.

Last edited:
I turn 50 in 2 weeks (gulp) !

its always been in my head to try and do 50 miles on my 50th. Only done 50 miles once before, a year ago, so it will be some achievement if I do. been out a fair bit the last few weeks but I'm struggling to get near the distance, go out planning to do 40-45 miles and only manage 30-35 :sad:

Still, 2 weeks left to try and up it a bit...:bicycle:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I dread to think what you have planned when you turn sixty!

I'll worry about that in 10 years time, if i make it ^_^

You probably already exceed this total distance, but if you don't how about a 2,500 (50 x 50) mile target for the year? (Or perhaps 5,000 miles - 50 x 50 x 2, or 7,500 miles - 50 x 50 x 3). Or do the same thing in metric units - 7,500 km, 10,000 km etc.

Do a single ride with at least 2,500 (50 x 50) metres of climbing**? Come over here and do the Season of Mists audax in October, or if you'd prefer it - various local CycleChat members could arrange to do it with you as a forum ride. Too much climbing - try 1,250 metres (50 x 50 / 2). (**Or similar imperial equivalents - 2,500 ft, 5,000 ft, 7,500 ft.) Not enough climbing (are you mad!!) - do SoM once in one direction and then do it again the opposite direction!

How about a ride which is 50 x n miles/kms in length, and is longer than anything that you have done before? (If you have done a 112 mile ride, then it might be 150 miles; a 207 km ride might be bettered by a 250 km ride.

Currently on about 3100 miles for the year, my previous best annual mileage was just over 10k in 2015 & I doubt I'll top that:blush: My ride taking in the 5 climbs at Sheffield last week was 3569ft of climbing, but I do have a rote planned up in North Yorks which has 7,800 ft & that will be more than enough climbing if I manage it :okay:

My longest ever ride is around 125 miles in a day & not sure I want to try 175 miles in a day at present. Might attempt the Way Of The Roses route in a day, but that'll probably be next year :okay:

I turn 50 in 2 weeks (gulp) !

its always been in my head to try and do 50 miles on my 50th. Only done 50 miles once before, a year ago, so it will be some achievement if I do. been out a fair bit the last few weeks but I'm struggling to get near the distance, go out planning to do 40-45 miles and only manage 30-35 :sad:

Still, 2 weeks left to try and up it a bit...:bicycle:

If you are managing 35, it's not much more of a push to get to 50. If there's an option to get a train 50 miles away try that & make sure that the train journey heads out into the wind, then you'll be assisted back :okay: Good luck with your attempt.

Another thing I'd like to do is get 50 people to do a 50 mile ride on my birthday, but people tend to be busy at that time of December :okay:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
How about a 50tt and then beating the time when you turn 60.

I've never done a TT at all & don't enjoy the competitiveness in cycling, haven't done a sportive for over 2 years now & stopped club riding as the constant strava segment bashing was spoiling rides for me :sad: I ride slower now than I did 3 years ago, but I have never enjoyed my cycling more than I do now. (plus If I did actually enjoy TTs that'd be another bike I needed :laugh:)

Top Bottom