Marking my half century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
Never. Miles all the way :-) hate this km stuff !
Yebbut kilometres are shorter, which could be an important factor for those who've celebrated their 50th birthday:okay:.

Crankarm

Guru
Never. Miles all the way :-)

hate this km stuff !

Plus miles are the recognised and official unit of measuring distance in the UK.

So the OP cycling would have cycled 31.25 miles everyday for 50 days. 218.75 miles each week for 7 and a bit weeks. However he says he cycled 3025km in 50 days which is 1890.6 miles, 37.8 miles on average each day. He may have cycled slightly more or less on each actual day which is pretty good.

How about 50 miles a day for 50 weeks which might not now be achievable? There's always next year, 51 miles a day for 51 weeks with one week off. If you are really hardcore when you are 52 you could do 52 miles a day for 52 weeks, a whole year of riding.

Last edited:

Ransom1980

Just read the opening post what a great idea, in regard to the xxx /xxx numbers on the hill climbs is this a local groups figured or public where can I find something like this? Great time on Holme Moss I'm from the other side of the hill Buxton /Glossop direction

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Just read the opening post what a great idea, in regard to the xxx /xxx numbers on the hill climbs is this a local groups figured or public where can I find something like this? Great time on Holme Moss I'm from the other side of the hill Buxton /Glossop direction

The list was available on veloviewer under the 'leaderboards' tab but since the GDPR laws it is now unavailable for the time being. You can always buy the book(s) There's the UK's best 100 & then regional variations of the book. I have a few of the books & luckily got the required data of veloviewer earlier this year.
Not sure my time up Holme Moss is great, but thanks :blush: It's maybe not bad for a big lad :okay:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
How about a ride which is 50 x n miles/kms in length, and is longer than anything that you have done before? (If you have done a 112 mile ride, then it might be 150 miles; a 207 km ride might be bettered by a 250 km ride.

Cheers for that idea Colin :okay: Did my longest ever ride this weekend, cycled to York in the 'glorious' weather :rain: on Friday evening, joined the FNRttC & then cycled home from Hull the long way to make 150 miles. My previous longest was around 125 miles, so not a great deal further, but boy the legs are feeling it now, glad I'm back at work today for a rest :wacko:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Failed by a long shot, the logistics of getting out to do 50 of these climbs proved too much & I only managed 25, however, I plan to complete the 50 this year. I'm unable to edit the original post anymore, so I'll just add here when I've done more climbs :okay:
I've got a weeks leave next month, so hoping to get up into North Yorkshire & tick a few more off

Did another 4 yesterday, so now on 29/50
Winnats Pass, 10mins 23secs strava 3468/20208 A bit of a beast of a climb early in the ride, only a couple of really steep sections in it, but very testing
Peaslows, 9mins 23secs, strava 1010/3343 A couple of false summits made this climb rather tough & seemed longer than Winnats :blush:
Monsal Head, 2mins 45secs, strava 2758/8500 Quite a short steep climb & felt quite easy, was surprised to reach the top easily & expected this climb to be tougher, great views from the top of here though :okay:
Curbar Edge, 10mins 8secs, strava 1761/5595. Another long steep climb, but with quite a few twists & turns, felt like the summit was never going to arrive

Took on a few more this weekend,
Egton High Moor, 28mins 53 secs, strava 749/1789 Just over 4 miles & averaging 4% into the wind this was one hell of a slog, not the steepest or hardest of hills, but quite tough.
Rosedale Chimney, 10mins 42secs, strava 2458/5452 This was as hard as all the stories I've been told. Was doing really well & remembering all the advice, but on the steep bit, at the 2nd bend by the grit bin, I went to the right, slowly made it round the corner, but then the wind was right in my face & I was just about brought to a stand, would have opted to zig zag up a little, but there was a van coming down, so quick unclip & had to walk a few metres :sad: Would like to give it another go one day, without the southerley wind
Blakey Bank 13mins 6secs, strava 889/2747. I was rather tired by the time this climb came along & at over a mile long it really took some effort, a few zig zags near the top & the wind behind me saw me up in 13mins

Murton Bank, 6mins 59secs, strava 390/2233. Legs still tired from the previous ride above, this was an early shock to the system, quite a long climb & 25% in places
Bilsdale Transmitter, 15mins 27secs, strava 76/193. This was a very long. quite steep & rough road up. QUite a few cattle grids too, which were very harsh & after coming close to falling on one, I decided that rather than riding at 5 or 6mph over them I'd dismount & walk over. Probably didn't help my time, but safety first :okay: Very impressive views from the top though. But owing to the rough road, the descent was no fun. A couple of walker even commented that I was brave cycling down it :laugh:
Carlton Bank, 12mins 24secs, strava 1978/4540. This was a tough slog & quite busy with traffic, so no opportunity to zig zag at any point, after the wind on Chimney the other day, I was worried it would affect me today too, but luckily it wasn't in my face until almost at the summit where the gradient eases.
Scarth Nick, 8mins 4secs, strava 1939/3439. It was raining by the time I made it here, which made the steeper parts of the climb quite tough, with the rear wheel slipping a little at times.

2 more done today 15/8/19
Cow & Calf Ilkley, 8mins 46mins, Strava 1565/9508 Arrived at Ilkley station, so did a couple of miles warm up before tackling the climb, quite steep in places, but had the help of a tailwind & the climb wasn't too bad (lovely decent from the top :okay:)
Norwood Edge, 10mins 25secs, strava 5398/10734 This is quite a nice climb, with a bit of everything. A rather steep start which saps the energy levels, a few bends & goes on forever, loved it :wacko:

6? more done yesterday 25/6/19
Mam Nick, 11mins 27secs, Strava 5418/17246 1st climb of the day & didn't get off to the best start, dropped my glasses near bottom of the climb, so had to stop & retrieve them, cost a few seconds, but didn't fancy going back down to start the climb again :blush: It's quite a tough climb, seems to go on forever & pretty steep gradient most of the way.

Eccles Pike, 6mins 14secs, Strava 676/1912 Not a bad climb at all compared to some of the others I've done, a few steep ramps, but quite managable

Axe Edge, 14mins 5secs, Strava 811/2046. Quite a long steady climb, bit of a busy road with quite a bit of heavy traffic, around mid point of the ride, so was starting to tire a little

Croker Hill, 4 mins 27 secs, Strava 97/168. Short 'private' road upto the transmitter. A few cattle grids & the first one right at the bottom of the climb look rather slippy with the morning rain, so opted to walk over that one, cost me about 20 secs :sad: After the 2nd grid there were several young bulls in the field which had me a little worried ^_^ Not too steep on the climb, but quite a rough road in places.

Coalpit Lane, 6mins 23secs, Strava 1001/2974 Quite a tough climb & narrow road, managed to get on the wheel of another rider in front of me which helped with the pacing, couldn't quite get enough speed at the bottom to pass him, but think I was better off behind anyway :laugh: After each turn it just seemed to keep going up, glad when the summit arrived.

Swiss Hill, DNF :sad: This was at the very end of my ride, not the steepest cobbled climb I've tackled, but by far the slippiest by far, due to being under trees & damp drizzle that we'd had that day. I probably got about a third of the way up & my rear wheel was just slipping more & more, & eventually I came to a stand, I couldn't even walk as my cleats were slipping on the cobbles. Used someones driveway entrance to gain some momentum & try again, but was really struggling, so when I got to the last bend I bailed, didn't finish the climb, just turned right & headed into Alderley Edge. Certainly not a climb for autumn :blush:

44/50 only 6 more to go

Last edited:

Ice2911

Über Member
Well done on your challenges. It was LEJOG for my 50th starting from a baseline of Zero. Had a great time. The Next year even more miles and so on. Cycling is so addictive ( but I could give it up any time, I’m sure I could :smile:). Still challenging myself every year, long solo self sufficient tour planned for this year again and posting a different ride in each of the CC monthly challenges. Just keep having fun!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Failed by a long shot, the logistics of getting out to do 50 of these climbs proved too much & I only managed 25, however, I plan to complete the 50 this year. I'm unable to edit the original post anymore, so I'll just add here when I've done more climbs :okay:
I've got a weeks leave next month, so hoping to get up into North Yorkshire & tick a few more off

Did another 4 yesterday, so now on 29/50
Winnats Pass, 10mins 23secs strava 3468/20208 A bit of a beast of a climb early in the ride, only a couple of really steep sections in it, but very testing
Peaslows, 9mins 23secs, strava 1010/3343 A couple of false summits made this climb rather tough & seemed longer than Winnats :blush:
Monsal Head, 2mins 45secs, strava 2758/8500 Quite a short steep climb & felt quite easy, was surprised to reach the top easily & expected this climb to be tougher, great views from the top of here though :okay:
Curbar Edge, 10mins 8secs, strava 1761/5595. Another long steep climb, but with quite a few twists & turns, felt like the summit was never going to arrive
Well done, and keep it up!

I imagine that there will be a few more round here that you might not have tackled yet? If so, and you would like some company to do them, let me know - I'm sure that we could sort something out.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well done, and keep it up!

I imagine that there will be a few more round here that you might not have tackled yet? If so, and you would like some company to do them, let me know - I'm sure that we could sort something out.

The seasons of mist takes in a few of the climbs, but we didn't make that last year :sad: I'll certainly give you a shout if I'm over that way though :okay:

Top Bottom