Marking my half century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How about 50 mph downhill? Easy enough on the right hill if you have safe wind and traffic conditions. And no sheep wandering about. Or deer leaping at you (I had one jump over my head on a descent once from a higher field on my left!). As for crazy badgers ... :eek:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
How about 50 mph downhill? Easy enough on the right hill if you have safe wind and traffic conditions. And no sheep wandering about. Or deer leaping at you (I had one jump over my head on a descent once from a higher field on my left!). As for crazy badgers ... :eek:

Try that & I might not make 60 :laugh: I'm a bit windy on descents nowadays, did 42mph last week & that was fast enough for me. Many years ago my speedo (non GPS) showed 54mph, not sure of accuracy, but all I could think was it would hurt if I came off as I wasn't wearing a helmet :whistle: Not sure a bit of plastic would have saved me at that speed ^_^

I've checked my diary & I'm off work for the Seasons Of Mist & it looks an interesting route, so it's a maybe :okay:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is so typical of someone from East Yorkshire. Bending the rules to suit yourself.

Is your commute 100 mile round trip or 25 miles each way? If its 25 miles your not doing 50 mile rides just a lot of 25 milers.

Do what I did. Cheat. Convert the miles to Kms.

The hills would take you forever and just imagine how many passport stamps you would have getting in and out of the county.

Visit 50 pubs. I think I know most pubs between Hedon and Withernsea. There must be 50.

I rode 22km every day for 22 days last year. Mostly in the rain. It got me used to riding in the rain and got me fit. But it was boring in the end.

Good luck with the quest. I am 60 tomorrow and will be riding 60kms to go in my half century bucket

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
This is so typical of someone from East Yorkshire. Bending the rules to suit yourself.

Is your commute 100 mile round trip or 25 miles each way? If its 25 miles your not doing 50 mile rides just a lot of 25 milers.

Do what I did. Cheat. Convert the miles to Kms.

The hills would take you forever and just imagine how many passport stamps you would have getting in and out of the county.

I'm not from East Yorkshire, I just live here :laugh:

I've already done the cheat, ride 50km each day for 50 days. My commute is 16 miles each way, so just over 50km in total, with my shifts there would be days where a 50km ride before or after work would make a very long day , rather than a 50km ride, my target is to ride a minimum 50km in total each day.

The hills are going to be the toughest challenge, but I can be bit of a stubborn old fool, so hopefully I'll do it :blush:

pjd57

Veteran
For my 61st I decided to beat my age.
No point doing 61, had to be 62.5.

Flat run along the Forth and Clyde canal and back was the original plan.
Beast from the East buried most of it under 2 feet of snow .
Roads were clear , so we done a great tour north of Glasgow that involved loads of climbing. (3,360 ft according to Strava)

Great way to mark a birthday.
Planning on doing it every year for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Now over half way through 50 days of 50km, today was day 26 & in those 26 days i've done 1705km, had to take it really easy some days to rest the legs a little, especially after doing some hills, or a 100 mile ride :blush: Weather has been fairly kind so far too, odd little shower & a bit of wind only downside so far.
The hills are slow coming, but I'll keep plugging away at them :okay: Think I'll leave my longer hilly rides that I have penciled in until I've done my 50 days

Serge

Über Member
Now over half way through 50 days of 50km, today was day 26 & in those 26 days i've done 1705km, had to take it really easy some days to rest the legs a little, especially after doing some hills, or a 100 mile ride :blush: Weather has been fairly kind so far too, odd little shower & a bit of wind only downside so far.
The hills are slow coming, but I'll keep plugging away at them :okay: Think I'll leave my longer hilly rides that I have penciled in until I've done my 50 days
Well done, keep it up fella!

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Well today saw me complete my 50th consecutive day of riding at least 50km, so that's that challenge done, 3025km in 50 days :smile: Hard few days this week after doing some hills on Sunday, so plan on taking it very easy over next few days & give the old legs some well earned rest. Can't cope with long rides every day like some of the beasts on here :okay:
Start taking my hill challenge seriously from next month :whistle:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well today saw me complete my 50th consecutive day of riding at least 50km, so that's that challenge done, 3025km in 50 days :smile: Hard few days this week after doing some hills on Sunday, so plan on taking it very easy over next few days & give the old legs some well earned rest. Can't cope with long rides every day like some of the beasts on here :okay:
Start taking my hill challenge seriously from next month :whistle:
:bravo:

snorri

Legendary Member
its always been in my head to try and do 50 miles on my 50th. Only done 50 miles once before, a year ago, so it will be some achievement if I do. been out a fair bit the last few weeks but I'm struggling to get near the distance, go out planning to do 40-45 miles and only manage 30-35 :sad:
Pssst! A birthday is a good time to go metric:okay:.

Top Bottom