Marking my half century

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The seasons of mist takes in a few of the climbs, but we didn't make that last year :sad: I'll certainly give you a shout if I'm over that way though :okay:
Funnily enough, I was toying with doing my own variation, 'Tod into the Mist', some time this year before the actual SoM audax event! It follows the SoM route from Mereclough to Slack but I have changed it to start from Todmorden and end up back here. If you wanted to do that, possibly with some more variations to take in another climb or two, you know where to find me. I am flexible on the date as long as it doesn't clash with any of my forum rides.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hire a local road circuit and coach, get some mates together and stage a training session and race before retiring to a local tavern or coffee shop?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Failed by a long shot, the logistics of getting out to do 50 of these climbs proved too much & I only managed 25, however, I plan to complete the 50 this year. I'm unable to edit the original post anymore, so I'll just add here when I've done more climbs :okay:
I've got a weeks leave next month, so hoping to get up into North Yorkshire & tick a few more off

Did another 4 yesterday, so now on 29/50
Winnats Pass, 10mins 23secs strava 3468/20208 A bit of a beast of a climb early in the ride, only a couple of really steep sections in it, but very testing
Peaslows, 9mins 23secs, strava 1010/3343 A couple of false summits made this climb rather tough & seemed longer than Winnats :blush:
Monsal Head, 2mins 45secs, strava 2758/8500 Quite a short steep climb & felt quite easy, was surprised to reach the top easily & expected this climb to be tougher, great views from the top of here though :okay:
Curbar Edge, 10mins 8secs, strava 1761/5595. Another long steep climb, but with quite a few twists & turns, felt like the summit was never going to arrive
Those are good times up those hills. Faster than my best times for sure. Managing that pace at 16 stones is very impressive

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Those are good times up those hills. Faster than my best times for sure. Managing that pace at 16 stones is very impressive
Cheers, I'm under 15 stone now, but still far too heavy to be a good climber :laugh: Of the people I know & follow on Strava, only one was quicker up Winnats, he's about half my age & a Cat C or B racer, & he was only 7 seconds quicker, so I'm well happy with that ^_^
Rosedale Chimney is on the calendar for next month, that'll make or break me :blush:

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Hire a local road circuit and coach, get some mates together and stage a training session and race before retiring to a local tavern or coffee shop?

Not really my cup of tea mate, quit club cycling a few years ago as it was getting too competitive & club rides were verging on races at times :sad: I stopped enjoying cycling for a while, when sucked into the competition & chasing Strava segments. Just ride for enjoyment nowadays & like the challenge of hills, don't always enjoy the ride up though :rolleyes:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cheers, I'm under 15 stone now, but still far too heavy to be a good climber :laugh: Of the people I know & follow on Strava, only one was quicker up Winnats, he's about half my age & a Cat C or B racer, & he was only 7 seconds quicker, so I'm well happy with that ^_^
Rosedale Chimney is on the calendar for next month, that'll make or break me :blush:

If you are over Rosedale way it would be rude not to have a go at Boltby Bank.

Me, @Julia9054, her partner Al, and my fit mate Steve all conked out on it.

https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/boltby-bank/

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If you are over Rosedale way it would be rude not to have a go at Boltby Bank.

Me, @Julia9054, her partner Al, and my fit mate Steve all conked out on it.

https://cyclinguphill.com/100-climbs/boltby-bank/

I did Boltby last year & really did not like it at all :sad: Had to stop a couple of times, but after getting to the top I went down Sutton Bank :eek: & then up the White Horse climb to the south, probably not much easier than Boltby, but I actually enjoyed it. Think it was the long straight heading towards the sky that put me off Boltby :laugh:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Living in the area, I've done a lot of the climbs you've done. My favourite is Wessenden Head. Hard but not ridiculous, lovely views and much quieter than nearby Holme Moss. The only problem is that it goes NE to SW so usually a headwind.

There is a bunch of climbs that can be done in a day near Whaley Bridge/Macclesfield which are almost certainly in your book; Cat and Fiddle, Long Hill, Pyms Chair (a real brute), Windgather Rocks and there's also Blaze Hill and The Brickworks but not sure if they would feature or not

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I did Boltby last year & really did not like it at all :sad: Had to stop a couple of times, but after getting to the top I went down Sutton Bank :eek: & then up the White Horse climb to the south, probably not much easier than Boltby, but I actually enjoyed it. Think it was the long straight heading towards the sky that put me off Boltby :laugh:

There's a short, slightly steeper section about three quarters of the way up Boltby that has done for me - twice.

Being marooned on that climb with a heavy ebike to push is the worst of both worlds.

I'd have done a Bradley and tossed it over the dry stone wall if I'd had the energy to lift the ruddy thing.

Rosedale is shorter but reckoned to be steeper.

No point in me having a go at it, but you stand a chance.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Living in the area, I've done a lot of the climbs you've done. My favourite is Wessenden Head. Hard but not ridiculous, lovely views and much quieter than nearby Holme Moss. The only problem is that it goes NE to SW so usually a headwind.

There is a bunch of climbs that can be done in a day near Whaley Bridge/Macclesfield which are almost certainly in your book; Cat and Fiddle, Long Hill, Pyms Chair (a real brute), Windgather Rocks and there's also Blaze Hill and The Brickworks but not sure if they would feature or not

I did Wessenden the same day as Holme Moss, with Jackson Bridge in between & that was a bit of a killer.
I'll look at a day out over Macclesfield way, under 3 hours on the train so not too far :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That almost killed me the first time that I tackled it - 2.85 km (1.75 miles) at an almost constant 8.9% i.e. no bloody respite whatsoever! I certainly wouldn't fancy it with a killer headwind ... :eek:

PS And it is definitely a climb that I would NOT go near on my singlespeed bike unless I changed the chainring down from the current 52 to a 39 and the sprocket up from 19 to a 29 or 30! :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member

Looking at a couple of days over that way later this month & was wondering how busy the roads are on the Cat & Fiddle, and Snake Pass? Don't fancy them if they are mega busy, plenty of other climbs to be had round that way :okay:

Top Bottom