Marmite or Vegemite?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Veggo is dug up from deep Australian veggemite mines.
Marmite is cultivated by carefully selected Scottish virgins that are force fed Guinness. The resulting fecal matter is reverse osmosisised and matured in used salt tubs.
Everybody no dat

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
You need to go to posher supermarkets.

View attachment 388382

Tesco stocks it... as do Waitrose.

Rarely shop in Tesco and even more rarely in Waitrose. But just checked the Asda website and they sell it. So perhaps I need to be a little more observant of the stuff, at least based upon some of the comments on this thread, I should ignore. ^_^

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Marmite... vegemite is sh!te

Off topic, but my favourite xmas prezzy so far this year* is a personalised jar of Marmite :hungry:
timebomb.jpg

...i have several aliases :smile:

*I open them as soon as i get them... why wait until tomorrow?

Last edited:

Tim Hall

I visited Australia in the summer, to visit my sister. She asked that I bring her some Bovril, as apparently Coles don't stock it. On my arrival at Sydney airport I duly ticked the box on the "I have brought something that may wreak death and destruction on your fragile ecosystem" form and joined the requisite queue. A nice border security lady asked me what I'd brought with me.
"Bovril"
"What's that? Is a sort of biscuit?"
"No, it's like Vegemite, but made from cows"
And I was in.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

Has she tried Bonox?

(I haven't had either .... so, I can't tell you if they are the same.

Or Bovril?

Edit: Australian Bovril is vegetarian!

Bonox is the one

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIZ6xD43fVQ

Ooh, those look interesting. A spot of googling suggests the Australian Bovril doesn't contain any beef extract though, compared to 41% for the uk version.
(Edit: crossed with your edit)

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yeah. Agreed.

And "there must be something in it" isn't a slogan that has aged well. I'm assuming it's mostly horse.

That's riffing on the European meat substitution scandal. I was going to say there hadn't been an Australian one, but did a quick google first, and apparently there was, rather contemporaneous to that ad. And it was both horse and 'roo!
I'm surprised there wasn't some feral Camel in there too, maybe they pass that off as Lamb/Goat meat. But TBH the Frenchies have been scoffing Horsemeat for centuries and think it better flavoured than Beef (and more tender)

I'm surprised there wasn't some feral Camel in there too, maybe they pass that off as Lamb/Goat meat. But TBH the Frenchies have been scoffing Horsemeat for centuries and think it better flavoured than Beef (and more tender)
Horse meat is good. And Australian horse meat was probably wild caught brumbies, so free of chemicals - while they think our recent experience horse were ex-domestic and racers, so possibly full of antibiotics and steroids.

But the bottom line is that mystery meat - uninspected - is risky And if it's not even the species on the label, what other corners have they cut?

Sorry, oh yes, we were talking about yeast extracts. Please carry on.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Horse meat is good. And Australian horse meat was probably wild caught brumbies, so free of chemicals - while they think our recent experience horse were ex-domestic and racers, so possibly full of antibiotics and steroids.

But the bottom line is that mystery meat - uninspected - is risky And if it's not even the species on the label, what other corners have they cut?

Sorry, oh yes, we were talking about yeast extracts. Please carry on.
Yeah, it was the dodgy 'dogfood' stuff potential that caused the uproar, anyway lets get back to the stuff they squeeze out of crap extracts. :hungry:

Top Bottom