Mastering replacing inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
or a quick fix to get you moving again in under 5 minutes. Can generally be removed and repaired with solution at the end of the ride, although some report the better instant patches like Park Tools lasting over a year, until the tube was replaced for other reasons.
I'm going to Halfords this morning for some lube and I will also pick up some self adhesives.

Farting around with glue on a wet Devon roadside seems too much like hard work.

Sharky

Guru
I'm going to Halfords this morning for some lube and I will also pick up some self adhesives.

Strangely enough, my experience of self sticking patches was on an extremely wet ride. The tubes were wet, my bag was soaked and the patches were wet and they just wouldn't stick.

I always carry a decent spare tube, but when I puncture, will always look for the hole and culprit. If found, will stick a patch on there and then. Will always put the repaired tube back on the wheel.

I'd rather keep my good spare in the bag in case of second puncture later on the ride or for cases when I didn't find the culprit properly the first time.

Using the repaired tube immediately is a real test that the puncture is fixed and your spare is still intact for another occasion.

a.twiddler

Veteran
quite - they can and do.

Of course even us patchers have to let some tubes go - maybe because of a snakebite puncture or a failure near the valve - but to prove their toughness some folk have then pressed them into service for this:

https://www.instructables.com/Eco-Vegan-Inner-Tube-Flogger/

which is even more arduous than sitting inside your tyres.
After a long difficult day when you've had several punctures, got lost, and ridden further and faster than you wanted to, and you are starting to see your bike as an instrument of torture, perhaps a nice cup of tea and a spot of self flagellation would come as a bit of light relief?

12boy

Guru
A good TipTop patch is as good as the rest of the tube as long as you don't apply too much glue and let it dry to the touch before putting on the patch. When I'm fixing flats at home I will mark the hole with a Sharpie so it's easy to find if I put the tube down for some reason. Being a cheap person I buy 100 patches and an 8 oz tin of glue which I keep indoors. My last tin has dried out a bit bt it's at least 6 years old. Very convenient to always have glue and patches available and a sink full of water for finding the puncture.

A good TipTop patch is as good as the rest of the tube as long as you don't apply too much glue and let it dry to the touch before putting on the patch. When I'm fixing flats at home I will mark the hole with a Sharpie so it's easy to find if I put the tube down for some reason. Being a cheap person I buy 100 patches and an 8 oz tin of glue which I keep indoors. My last tin has dried out a bit bt it's at least 6 years old. Very convenient to always have glue and patches available and a sink full of water for finding the puncture.
I did ponder getting one of those tins but don't think i get enough punctures (i check my tyres for debris very regularly) so just use the bigger tubes at home. They don't seem to dry out, unlike the tiddly things which are effectively single use. I keep two of those on the bike. Very rarely used.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Avoid their own brand in the plastic sachets. Skabs work OK.

Wet roads not a problem but if it is raining, you may need to shelter the tube with your jacket or find a bus shelter or similar for the time between roughening and applying the patch. Also, holding the patch on for 30s, so it warms up, seems to help.

For the really cold weather, I carry one of those "instant repair" gunk cans, but then the tube needs binning soon after, as it treats being pumped up as a hole to seal at the valve!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Do people just bin inner tubes like this or can it be patched up?

That is an easy patch job. Do it at home , but don’t leave too long, else you’ll end up with a collection.

Out on the road, it’s possible you may get a second puncture, which means you’ll need to patch anyway. If the rubber cement isn’t curing because it’s too cold then breathe on the solution a few times to get it to cure. Only once cured should you stick the patch on.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I’m definitely a tube repairer/ patcher. My tip for reliable repairs ( sorry if this has already been mentioned) Apply cement allow to dry/ cure then apply a second thin coat of cement again allow time to cure , then apply patch. In my experience this results in repaired tubes you can trust .

if this is helpful, it might seem like overkill but aside from (2) regular plastic levers I also carry these items that make it easier for me

(1) Speedier Lever

(1) Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack

(2) toe straps but any straps will do) - these keep part of the tire on the rim, down in the channel, while I work on the rest of the tire bead (especially helpful w/ tough winter tires) (I keep a set of all in my rack trunk & another set of all in my basement)

toe straps on tire change.JPG

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Reading through this there seem to be a few tales of multiple punctures and concerns about having these. Does this really happen to folk?

If I get one a year I consider it a bad do. I once went seven years without a puncture. This year I've had four - a double puncture when I hit a very deep pothole at speed and two occasions when I hit glass which shredded the tyres. Highly unusual for me to suffer like this.

Reading through this there seem to be a few tales of multiple punctures and concerns about having these. Does this really happen to folk?

If I get one a year I consider it a bad do. I once went seven years without a puncture. This year I've had four - a double puncture when I hit a very deep pothole at speed and two occasions when I hit glass which shredded the tyres. Highly unusual for me to suffer like this.
By multiple punctures I assume you mean on the one ride, or straight after fixing one.
Very rarely, as I check the tyre for debris carefully, so the two carried tubes are usually fine to do just do a swap.
I once had a hell of a lot of punctures on a ride Oxford to London with a pal so was reduced to doing multiple roadside repairs. He was very patient. That may have possibly been caused by a spoke/rim tape failure.
Very important when you get a puncture to check which side of the tube has punctured - rim or tyre side.

If I've ridden through anything dodgy looking I often stop to turn the bike over

Top Bottom