Mattresses for bad backs?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, I'm having a bad time with my back and our bed seems to be exacerbating it, not uncommon for me to be waking up at 3am or 4am in pain with it.

There's that many matresses out there what do you choose?, just out of coincidence there's an advert on for Octasmart Octaspring Plus matresses on the TV.

Anyone on here suffer the same and what matress has made it better (or worse!).

Really fed up with it now, spent last night on the sofa and it was 100% better!.

They aren't cheap so don't want to buy a bad on if I can help it.

Any comments appreciated

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've just splurged on a Tempurpedic one, but it's only been days so too early to tell really. I'm not any worse and I'm not getting as many pressure points on my hips so feels comfier at least.

Stompier

Hello all, I'm having a bad time with my back and our bed seems to be exacerbating it, not uncommon for me to be waking up at 3am or 4am in pain with it.

There's that many matresses out there what do you choose?, just out of coincidence there's an advert on for Octasmart Octaspring Plus matresses on the TV.

Anyone on here suffer the same and what matress has made it better (or worse!).

Really fed up with it now, spent last night on the sofa and it was 100% better!.

They aren't cheap so don't want to buy a bad on if I can help it.

Any comments appreciated

A new mattress is no guarantee of improvement, unfortunately - been there, done that. You probably know this already, but you will need to address the cause of the back pain itself. You may already be doing this, of course..

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
A new mattress is no guarantee of improvement, unfortunately - been there, done that. You probably know this already, but you will need to address the cause of the back pain itself. You may already be doing this, of course..

It's fine during the day when I'm mobile, it was also a massive improvement sleeping on the sofa last night so I'm trying a new matress.

Was contemplating doing some light deadlifts / power cleans just to get some movement and more strength (not going mad obviously). Think the weights need to come back out at some point.

I've been reading good reviews on the Nectar matresses as well (memory foam).

winjim

Smash the cistern
Emma mattresses and other similar ones seem to have a 100 day return if not satisfied policy.

https://www.emma-mattress.co.uk/?gc...si5Btnolzwp6D4fRAbH-OjqRP_moEkqsaAqsrEALw_wcB

also a sale going on.
Emma have a constant sale on, they're like DFS in that regard. We just bought a Simba, which is similar, but I am a bit worried about their reviews and them honouring (or not) the money back deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...-simba-mattress-but-were-sleeping-on-the-sofa

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It's fine during the day when I'm mobile, it was also a massive improvement sleeping on the sofa last night so I'm trying a new matress.

Was contemplating doing some light deadlifts / power cleans just to get some movement and more strength (not going mad obviously). Think the weights need to come back out at some point.

I've been reading good reviews on the Nectar matresses as well (memory foam).
Go and see a good physio as a starter.

vickster

Legendary Member
Pillows are very important too. I’m sleeping better with a latex one from Dunlopillo. Get one for your sleep position. Back, front or side sleeper

vickster

Legendary Member
Go and see a good physio as a starter.
This. Find one who offers acupuncture /dry needling and proper hands on therapy.
Start stretching after discussing with physio, try pilates, don’t go near weightlifting until you know what the issue is!

Personally I find memory foam mattresses horrid! Quality pocket sprung for me (expect to spend £600-1000). Go and try a load out at Dreams, John Lewis or similar. Make sure your partner tries it too (if you have one/share a bed)

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tempur mattress here after breaking my back. Chuffing expensive, but it works for me. Mrs F finds it a bit hard, so we may pop a softer topper on it.

I find it near on impossible to sleep on other beds. Always the down side when I go to a hotel, I can't sleep.

Top Bottom