Mattresses for bad backs?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Just google, eg lie with legs out straight, towel round foot and pull foot towards you

BUT go see a physio first to get properly assessed / diagnosed

Yes worth getting properly assessed.
It may be something else as well as the hamstrings.

If you do try the DIY ones be sure to follow all the instructions and work evenly both sides.
Keep your pelvis level.
And your shoulders back and down.. Use a long belt or strap.. (or towel)

And understand that you've got to engage the front of the leg properly to get a safe and effective stretch, on the back of the leg, otherwise you risk injuring your hamstrings.

So basically you engaging your front thigh muscles, and pushing them away from you, as you bring the foot towards you.. With a properly straightened leg, kneecap flattened.

You can do a similar thing with your foot lifted onto a low height.. Probably no higher than a chair seat.

If your hamstrings are tight you might not get the lifted leg to more than a 45' angle
from where it started, either lying down or standing.

This is pretty standard for guys with short hamstrings, but if you keep at it carefully, and persistently, you will see an improvement.

I would post a picture.. But I've got a yoga class to do.
So maybe sometime later.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Before splashing out on a mattress, try a knee pillow.
1577617150127.png

Surprisingly comfortable and really helps me with my back as it stops you twisting if you sleep on your side.

I find hard mattresses cause pain at the pressure points of knee, hip and shoulder.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As a fellow sufferer, I've found the firmer the better is the trick.
That 'was' my theory. Having back problems for 50+ years I found that firm was good. Then we bought a VERY firm, good quality bed. It was agony!!!
About 3 years ago we went to a local bed shop and literally spent hours trying various types. Eventually chose one and am very happy with it.
My opinion is.......sorry @keithmac but what works for anyone on here is of little help to you (apart from good advice etc).
I do hope things improve for you.....bad backs are awful.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I was chatting to my mate at work and he's just bought an Emma mattress, says it's excellent.

I've bit the bullet and ordered one this morning, 100 days return if you don't like it, free delivery and 0% finance for a year.

Will see how it goes!.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have quite a poorly back, 3 x herniated discs and have never found the magic pill when it comes to mattresses, what I have found is the night after a yoga session I sleep my best and wake up with less pain, now if only I had the will power to do yoga every day.

As a fellow sufferer, I've found the firmer the better is the trick.
This was my experience for many years. And then it wasn't. Changed to a 40cm thick memory foam jobbie, much, much better. But ther's no getting away from the fact that they can get hot and sweaty if you don't get your bedroom environment and bedclothes sorted to match it.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I used to experience the same.
2 years ago we decided it was worth a punt on the 100 day trial with Simba and we both love it!
Initially it felt a bit strange but within a few days my back ache resolved.
Someone mentioned the mattresses in Premier Inns - 5 hours on theirs and I have back ache......

I guess it is all horses for courses but trying one of the mattresses that offer 100 day trials seems a sensible starting point.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you go to Dreams they get you to lie on a bed & then take measurements, you can feel the unit scan the bed, they then make a recommendation, no idea if it's all marketing dodo but we went through it & bought a mattress from them, after a couple of poor nights getting used to it I'm sleeping a lot better.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I used to experience the same.
2 years ago we decided it was worth a punt on the 100 day trial with Simba and we both love it!
Initially it felt a bit strange but within a few days my back ache resolved.
Someone mentioned the mattresses in Premier Inns - 5 hours on theirs and I have back ache......

I guess it is all horses for courses but trying one of the mattresses that offer 100 day trials seems a sensible starting point.
The Premier Inn mattresses are made by Hypnos and we have one, actually firmer than the ones in their rooms although we use a topper on top and it is just fine. Our other bed has a pocket sprung system from World of beds which my wife and I just love, no back problems from either bed /mattress. On the Premier Inn front, we had to change rooms on one occasion because the mattress was so bad. Goodness knows the weights of people that go on to these beds ? Mattresses are like choosing a saddle really, one size does`nt fit all. You just need the right amount of support and padding and was once told that you should be able to slide your hand under your lower back with just a bit of resistance. If too easy then the bed is too hard, if hard to slide your hand underneath then there is too much padding. At least that is what a bed company told us.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Well I bought the Emma Original (odd name as it's their new mattress!).

A week in and I'm over the moon with it. Can lay flat on my back and go to sleep, 5 minutes on the old mattress and I'd have to move due to back ache..

Even my wife has commented her hip used to give bother on a morning but it's been fine this past week so it's a double win!.

Best thing I've bought in ages and best nights sleep I've had for a long while.

Might try a memory foam pillow as well.

Top Bottom