Mattresses for bad backs?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
You do know that you can buy the mattresses and pillows that are used in Premier inn...
https://www.premierinnbed.co.uk/
Why would I want to? Compared to a water bed its like sleeping on a sack of potatoes. Add to the the risk of coming home and finding Lenny Henry asleep in it and you're left with no good reason for wanting one.

Smudge

Veteran
I have back problems, but its foraminal stenosis in the spine and only so much can be done with the meds i'm on. I did have quite a soft mattress and although i slept ok on it, i'm sure it was adding to my back & nerve pain.
So last year i bought a much firmer mattress, a Silentnight 1000 pocket spring job. I hated the hardness of it at first and thought i'd made a massive mistake buying it as i had probs sleeping on it. But i persevered with it and got used to it. I sleep fine on it now and even though it hasn't made any affect on the nerve pain, i'm sure its lessened my back pain.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why would I want to? Compared to a water bed its like sleeping on a sack of potatoes. Add to the the risk of coming home and finding Lenny Henry asleep in it and you're left with no good reason for wanting one.

But, structural weight of a water bed ? - I'd be a little concerned in a modern house. What's the litres, as a small hot tub weigh's a metric tonne (1000 litres)

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm in a bungalow, so it's not an issue to me. There is no reliable record of a waterbed ever having dropped through a floor because the load is spread across 6-8 M2.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We had a 12"-15" thick pocket sprung that worked great for many years until I broke my back. We both slept well. Since the break, then it's been a mare for me. The pocket sprung king size was incredibly heavy. The Tempur is bad enough, but about half the weight. You'd have to drain water bed.

PS, do you have to change the water every so often etc ?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hello all, I'm having a bad time with my back and our bed seems to be exacerbating it, not uncommon for me to be waking up at 3am or 4am in pain with it.

There's that many matresses out there what do you choose?, just out of coincidence there's an advert on for Octasmart Octaspring Plus matresses on the TV.

Anyone on here suffer the same and what matress has made it better (or worse!).

Really fed up with it now, spent last night on the sofa and it was 100% better!.

They aren't cheap so don't want to buy a bad on if I can help it.

Any comments appreciated

I'd agree that the right mattress could make all the difference to how well you sleep, but have you investigated other causes of the pain?

If you spend a lot of time sitting, on bad chairs, or poorly designed car seats they can be really awful for your back.

Combined with the loss tone in your back muscles, resulting from being sedantry.

The bean bag idea, or an exercise ball is good, because it makes you more aware of how you are sitting

At the other end of the spectrum, if you cycle a lot, or do other athletic activities, but don't do good stretches, your hamstrings will get tighter, and that can cause a lot of lower back pain.

Also check the way you stand.. If you have your toes turned out at ten to two that will narrow the sacrum and possibly impinge on sacro iliac joints.

I started getting a lot of lower back pain in my early twenties with the heavy lifting and hefting of farm work.

Then luckily i discovered yoga, and it has majorly helped me keep everything aligned and in the right place, ever since.

Stronger, but also flexible, so less prone to injury all round.

If I do get a crick in my spine, from being too hench, then I can usually smooth it out foc.

It also has the added benefit of being extremely good for ones mental elf too.

If you can find a decent teacher who has had good training, and knows their anatomy and physiology they may be able to help.

Pilates also has a reasonable record with sorting back pain too.

But as with all this stuff, the practitioner, must be well qualified...

And you need to commit some time to classes and practice.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I'm on my feet all day at work and cycle there and back.

I do have tight hamstrings so that's definitely something to look into.

Had a feel about and our mattress is lumpy though and past it's best so a new one is on the cards either way.

Drago

Legendary Member
We had a 12"-15" thick pocket sprung that worked great for many years until I broke my back. We both slept well. Since the break, then it's been a mare for me. The pocket sprung king size was incredibly heavy. The Tempur is bad enough, but about half the weight. You'd have to drain water bed.

PS, do you have to change the water every so often etc ?
Once full the water is there for decades. Every 6 months or year (depending on which brand of conditioner you buy) you add a small bottle of ungent which stops nasties growing and which lubricates and refreshes the bladder. I bought 25 bottles from Amazon for 12 sheets, so likely the life of the bed.

It never wears out, every night you lay down on what is essentially a new mattress - in 20 years the support is as effective and comfortable as the day you bought it.

In summer it's cool and pleasant, not at all sweaty. In the winter the bladder is heated, so you sleep on a pleasantly warm bed.

I don't wake up with my mouth feeling like a Turkish wrestlers jock strap, because the waterbed isn't home to thousands of dust mites that feed off the skin in the mattress and tthentake a dump in my mouth overnight - the typical mattress weighs twice as much at disposal time as it did when new and you've been sleeping atop that filth and nastiness and playing host to the lovely mites that set up home there. Mattresses are disgusting things.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Once full the water is there for decades. Every 6 months or year (depending on which brand of conditioner you buy) you add a small bottle of ungent which stops nasties growing and which lubricates and refreshes the bladder. I bought 25 bottles from Amazon for 12 sheets, so likely the life of the bed.

It never wears out, every night you lay down on what is essentially a new mattress - in 20 years the support is as effective and comfortable as the day you bought it.

In summer it's cool and pleasant, not at all sweaty. In the winter the bladder is heated, so you sleep on a pleasantly warm bed.

I don't wake up with my mouth feeling like a Turkish wrestlers jock strap, because the waterbed isn't home to thousands of dust mites that feed off the skin in the mattress and tthentake a dump in my mouth overnight - the typical mattress weighs twice as much at disposal time as it did when new and you've been sleeping atop that filth and nastiness and playing host to the lovely mites that set up home there. Mattresses are disgusting things.

How many litres of water is in it @Drago?.

Top Bottom