Mattresses for bad backs?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Go and see a good physio as a starter.

There's a Chiropractor I pass every morning on the way to work, fancied going in until I read they managed to break a persons back not too long ago!.

Physio sounds a better idea but just odd how it's when I'm in bed and 100% better sleeping the on the sofa?.

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's a Chiropractor I pass every morning on the way to work, fancied going in until I read they managed to break a persons back not too long ago!.

Physio sounds a better idea but just odd how it's when I'm in bed and 100% better sleeping the on the sofa?.
Chiropractic is pseudoscience and has been linked to increased risk of stroke. I'd think very very carefully before going in for it.

Jody

Stubborn git
Personally I find memory foam mattresses horrid! Quality pocket sprung for me (expect to spend £600-1000). Go and try a load out at Dreams, John Lewis or similar. Make sure your partner tries it too (if you have one/share a bed)

Same here. I just cant get on with memory foam. The last mattress we bought was an expensive pocket sprung which I thought we were mad for buying. Needless to say I am sold and will replace with another expensive mattress without hesitation.

The way I look at it is you spend nearly half your life in bed so money shouldn't be an issue.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Same here. I just cant get on with memory foam. The last mattress we bought was an expensive pocket sprung which I thought we were mad for buying. Needless to say I am sold and will replace with another expensive mattress without hesitation.

The way I look at it is you spend nearly half your life in bed so money shouldn't be an issue.
Good memory foam hybrid mattresses ain't cheap...

vickster

Legendary Member

Get assessed. It may ‘just’ be due to the mattress but it’s worth getting checked.
Some chiropractors are very good, have had years of training but lots haven’t. Chartered physios have all had years of training in anatomy and physiology. £60 or so seems a sensible investment before spending a grand on a mattress

Mrs M

Guru
We had a memory foam mattress but both found it too hot.
Went for a firmer mattress after that.
Both tried out various options and decided one the one we were both happy with.
Definitely get a better sleep on the firmer type but all individual.
I would also recommend a good osteopath.
Hope you find a solution.
:smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
When I did my back 25 years ago, the surgeon said a firm base (divan or floor) is as important as the mattress. Not a slatted or spring bedstead

Drago

Legendary Member
You want a water bed, 90% firmness rating. That's what I use and it's the best sleep you'll get bar none. Every night is like laying on a brand new mattress, and it's the best, most even support available for wonky backs.

Levo-Lon

Guru
A new mattress is no guarantee of improvement, unfortunately - been there, done that. You probably know this already, but you will need to address the cause of the back pain itself. You may already be doing this, of course..

Sound advice.

I go to my phisio to correct anything that can be first.
Having worked in a heavy back breaking industry for over 30 yrs I've suffered with 2 main issues.
Neck and lower back.
Now a firm bed causes my neck to play up. Soft causes my back to ache

The best mattress ivehad was a firm mattress with a built in memory topper.
By far the best, my new mattress is ok but i cant wait too change it.
Wife likes it but it's not working for me.

Other and possibly as important is your pillows.

Getting that right is half the battle.
Too firm i hear my pulse in my ears.. Too soft iget neck pain.
Bit like hotel beds, I've stayed in top london Hotels and various expensive places and suffered a terrible nights sleep, but the best sleep ive had was a Premier in in St Austell on the way to Cornwall this summer, perfect, i could happily steel the mattress :laugh: if i could get it in my bag...
Good luck,

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Off topic slightly but due to the physical nature of my job I occasionally end up with a bad back. Luckily to date it has only ever been soft tissue damage. No amount of physio has seemed to help.

Two things have though: Yoga. And nicking my daughter’s giant bean bag to sit in.

I hope you get comfortable soon. It’s hell.

Top Bottom