Mavic Comete Pro Carbon UST

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bondsy

Anyone riden on the new Comete Pro Carbon Wheels? At 64mm deep Wondering how they run and if they are suitable as an all rounder. Description states redesigned profile which isn't affected by cross winds. Stiff and fairly light weight, interested how they climb?

Slick

Guru
If they climb, you can get me a set please. :okay:

Sorry, couldn't resist. Carry on.

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

At 6'2" and 85kg not great, I can hold 300 - 320 watts but that doesn't help when it ramps up. My stengths is on the flats, hence why I am looking at these, but still need something which works well when climbing.

Stompier

At 6'2" and 85kg not great, I can hold 300 - 320 watts but that doesn't help when it ramps up

When it ramps up, your weight comes into effect and makes your w/kg (as opposed to just w) the critical measure. Wheels are going to make minimal difference to that equation.

but still need something which works well when climbing

Wheels will work whether they are climbing or not. Can you clarify what you mean?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

Just want to hear from anyone that has riden the wheels, and if they are any good!

paxterg

Veteran
A pair of these came with my Canyon Aeroad, they are a great wheel, fairly light, good climbers and fast. However they are a bugger in crosswinds, especially for a light rider like myself, they are also fairly uncomfortable, picking up every bump and lump in the road! I swapped them out for Zipp 202's which suit my style of riding better, yet I do still use the Mavics for TT's and flat fast days!

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

Thanks for the info, interesting to here about the harsh ride, what size tyres were you running tubeless?

paxterg

Veteran
They came with Mavic Yksion Pro tyres, 25 mm running tubes. In my opinion the wheels make an already stiff frame very harsh to ride.

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

That's interesting about them being harsh I am looking at running them on a cervelo S5 which is super stiff. Tubeless has got to be the way ahead. Running 25mm at 85-90 psi should take some of the harshNess out of them

Stompier

That's interesting about them being harsh I am looking at running them on a cervelo S5 which is super stiff. Tubeless has got to be the way ahead. Running 25mm at 85-90 psi should take some of the harshNess out of them

Depends how much you weigh. At about 80kg I use 25s at 70psi with no issues. I'm not as light as I used to be, but 70psi still works.

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

Took the plunge and bought the comete's been pretty impressed, running tubeless pro ones at 85 psi and to be honest they don't feel any harsher than my old cosmic's. However they are definitely a lot more twitchy in the wind. As for climbing didn't notice any difference, still rubbish😀

Slick

Guru
Took the plunge and bought the comete's been pretty impressed, running tubeless pro ones at 85 psi and to be honest they don't feel any harsher than my old cosmic's. However they are definitely a lot more twitchy in the wind. As for climbing didn't notice any difference, still rubbish😀
Ah well, not for me then. :laugh:

Top Bottom