Max speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Last edited:

youngoldbloke

Am I alone in not liking exceeding 25mph on my bike?

Whether I am or not that's fast enough for me.
Probably not. There appear to be a considerable number who appear to be uncomfortable riding at more than 15 mph!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I was linking to the ETA legal advice pages which suggests one may also be prosecuted for speeding only under section 28 of the Town Police Clauses Act which mentions it is also an offence for “Every person who rides or drives furiously any horse or carriage, or drives furiously any cattle.” https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/10-11/89/section/28#commentary-c559973
edit: see also: http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/cycling-offences-riding-dangerously-recklessly-carelessly-or-inconsiderately#:~:text=Section 29 outlines the less serious offence of,or without reasonable consideration for other road users.

If you are freewheeling downhill. That is neither riding nor driving furiously

But even if pedalling “furiously” you also got to

“Every person who in any street, to the obstruction, annoyance, or danger of the residents or passengers.”

I don’t think someone saying it was annoying is going to lead anywhere. I think there would still need to be a collision and injury for it to kick in.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

If you are freewheeling downhill. That is neither riding nor driving furiously

But even if pedalling “furiously” you also got to

“Every person who in any street, to the obstruction, annoyance, or danger of the residents or passengers.”

I don’t think someone saying it was annoying is going to lead anywhere. I think there would still need to be a collision and injury for it to kick in.
- maybe, depends on the thoughts of any police officer who might witness your high speed cycling exploits.

I do wonder where you find a road with no entrances of any kind on either side
including houses, roads, fields tracks

and good enough tarmac

and - most importantly - what brakes and tyres you are using that can stop your bike in a reasonable distance if something unpredicted happens - kid running out after ball for example
or a sheep running away from pretty much anything

I know profressionals can get up to those speeds but they are professionals
and often they are either on race tracks (OK roads - but know to be empty) or they are training on roads they know - and they are by definition amazingly good bike riders
As I suppose are some people on here - but not everyone
if I get to 30 mph I get scared because I do not think I can slow down fast enough - and start braking a bit to slow down

Still - maybe I'm a crap bike rider

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
- maybe, depends on the thoughts of any police officer who might witness your high speed cycling exploits.

I am not aware of any such prosecutions for annoying someone. If you are going faster than the motorised limit and not endangering a third party. Then this law wouldn’t kick in. Plus this law only applies to streets so wouldn’t be applicable on open roads on hills where most of the cycling higher speeds are reached.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

and good enough tarmac

and - most importantly - what brakes and tyres you are using that can stop your bike in a reasonable distance if something unpredicted happens - kid running out after ball for example

and often they are either on race tracks (OK roads - but know to be empty) or they are training on roads they know - and they are by definition amazingly good bike riders
if I get to 30 mph I get scared because I do not think I can slow down fast enough - and start braking a bit to slow down

Plenty of places out in the countryside you can find those conditions. Plus sheep aren’t everywhere! I’m sure drivers don’t stick to 5mph in case of sheep.

Its why the sighlines are important as they dictate how fast you may need to stop at any speed.

classic33

Leg End Member

and good enough tarmac

A629, Ainley Top(J24, M62) down to Elland.
A58 down into Littleborough.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

View attachment 611839

🎼 You`re all going round🎵 and round!
🎼let it go, let it go🎵
🎼it`s time to put this thread to rest🎶

🎼Stop bleating 🎵it`s not worth it all🎵
🎼the tune needs to change🎶
🎼The mods need to sort it out some way....

.... let it go!🎵
You can say that again I will be having nightmare imaging the chap who recons bikes are built to do 70,mph having to do a emergency stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom