Max speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A629, Ainley Top(J24, M62) down to Elland.
A58 down into Littleborough.
Fair enough

Solocle

Über Member
I do wonder where you find a road with no entrances of any kind on either side
including houses, roads, fields tracks

and good enough tarmac

and - most importantly - what brakes and tyres you are using that can stop your bike in a reasonable distance if something unpredicted happens - kid running out after ball for example
or a sheep running away from pretty much anything

I know profressionals can get up to those speeds but they are professionals
and often they are either on race tracks (OK roads - but know to be empty) or they are training on roads they know - and they are by definition amazingly good bike riders
As I suppose are some people on here - but not everyone
if I get to 30 mph I get scared because I do not think I can slow down fast enough - and start braking a bit to slow down

Still - maybe I'm a crap bike rider
The A30 had some uber smooth descents. The A303 does too.

View: https://youtu.be/X-C2-CSEJCY

View: https://youtu.be/nZAyEzVR_X0

sasquath

Does anyone know why we are out of the EU. Why can't ebikes do the same max speed of 20mph as American ebikes do , we are trying to get a trade deal with America that would be one less obstacle.
Because UK signed and ratified Vienna convention on road traffic and USA didn't.
Recent highway code changes are common across most if not all signatory countries too.
UK has a long way to go to be fully compliant, more highway code changes are coming, hopefully.

https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetailsIII.aspx?chapter=11&mtdsg_no=XI-B-19&src=TREATY#EndDec

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
I think the current 15mph for E bikes is just right. Let's be honest a "good" cyclist will usually only average 17/18 mph on a road bike out on a good ride out. Most of us will average much less whilst the super fit will average 20 mph. If you would to increase the legal set speeds of an ebike to 20 mph you would no doubt get people calling them to be upped to 25mph. Where does the line be drawn on this ?
Granted all bikes can be ridden much faster than this, but its usually in short bursts. Hurtling down the Horseshoe Pass i touched 45mph. It felt like a moment of madness as my road bike felt very twitchy, and looking at those thin tyres didn't inspire confidence. Good fun whilst it lasted, but I wouldn't want to do that all the time. 15mph is a good speed to cycle along and its in keeping with the majority of most average cyclists, so why change it. The whole point of an E bike is to make cycling easier for people who struggle to use a normal bike, or for people who live in particularly hilly areas. I cycle with a chap (who's been a life long cyclist) and is now in his late 80s. He's got a very nice road going Ebike and wouldn't be able to come out and enjoy is life long passion of cycling, if it wasn't for his Ebike.
My dad is also in the same position, in that we can both enjoy cycling together, in his aging years, were we can enjoy some quality time together.
In essence, an Ebike should always be classed as an electric assisted bike which is in the same average speed range of a normal bike. If you want a faster electric bike, then they should be registered ones like the Super Soco, or Lexmoto cypher offerings.
Just my two pence worth👍

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I think most people would think that is bonkers including the police maybe you are on a different planet 😅.

Some people who have no clue about road cycling will think that. But probably not many.

I will be surprised if you can find a single experienced road cyclist who thinks 45mph is bonkers.

And I have seen no evidence anywhere of any police officer thinking it is.

And yes, I do appear to be on a different planet to you. You should try coming to planet earth one day, you might even like it.

All y9ou are doing in this thread is showing that you simply have little to no experience of road cycling.

Alex321

Veteran
I don't know what that means just thought this was a ebike forum were people talked about ebikes sensible without a load of tosh.
Well it isn't an ebike forum, it is a general cycling forum, which has a section related to ebikes.

But apart from you, most people do talk "sensible (sic) without a load of tosh". You are the one talking tosh in this thread.

Alex321

Veteran
Am I alone in not liking exceeding 25mph on my bike?

Whether I am or not that's fast enough for me.
And that is perfectly fine. Many people aren't happy at higher speeds.

There are only a few roads round here where I am happy exceeding 35mph, but personally, I am often happy to do more than 30. But everybody has a maximum speed at which they feel comfortable, and if that is 25 for you, that is absolutely fine.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Well it isn't an ebike forum, it is a general cycling forum, which has a section related to ebikes.

But apart from you, most people do talk "sensible (sic) without a load of tosh". You are the one talking tosh in this thread.
I am not boasting about how fast I can go on a bike that is Playground talk.

gzoom

Über Member
I wouldn't call 50 mph routine, but I've broken it numerous times, and come close yet more.

The issue though is stopping. If you are drafting a lorry/HGV and they put the anchors on at 50mph you will be road kill very quickly!!

I've done it before in the past but on reflection its a pretty stupid thing to do if you value your limbs staying connected to your body.

I recently ended up having to mount a kerb on my road bike at 20mph+ after someone decided they could just pull out infront of me and expect me to stop as quickly as a car. They honestly didn't understand why a pedal bike cannot stop as quickly as a car, and just drove off thinking I was just another dramatic cyclist.

Lets also not forget pedestrians who will cross the road without looking if they don't hear a car, including parents with push chairs/prams. Trying to sustain anything over 20mph in the city centre on a pedal bike is simply an accident waiting to happen.

Maybe am just getting old but for the sake of my family I've given up trying to chase any kind of high speeds on the pedal bike.

Ebiks are great/enjoyable without needing to pretend to be a motorbike. Going up hill at 15mph with zero effort makes me smile just as much as descending a blind, single track country road at 30mph+.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Welcome to the 'how fast can I cycle downhill' thread!
Actually I can go quite fast downhill on my Orbea Gain e-road bike. it weighs 16kg, light for an ebike but quite heavy for a road bike. On the other hand it is quite difficult to stay with a club group out for a weekend leisure ride, even the steady group, as the speed will often drift up past the 15.5mph assistance cut off, especially on long level stretches or gently undulating roads and false flats. Of course you can pedal harder, but being 74 and having bu88ered legs this soon takes it's toll. I have some advantage on the hills of course but not on the flatter routes. For me an 18mph cut off would be helpful and enable me to take part in club rides much as I did 4 or 5 years ago before my leg issues began.

... and I've heard all the arguments about caring clubmates adjusting their speed, finding others in my position to ride with etc etc etc. It's difficult if you are the only assisted one, to spoil the club ride party. There would be no need if the cut off was raised to a realistic level - perhaps for e- road bikes only.

I believe the original thinking was that a 25kph cut off was quite sufficient for the utility e-bikes in existence at that time, and of course still is, but the development of leisure e-bikes (e-road in particular) has made this figure unrealistic for such bikes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom