Max speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As a reasonably fit person of my age and using a cycle as transport I can average 15, 18 miles an hour if I have to be somewhere. I suspect this true for many who cycle a lot. If I encounter a big hill I can roll up to 40 odd miles an hour. Obviously on a cycle path this would be stupid if it were busy or shared. The very high speeds are done by athletes in a controlled environment. As has been mentioned elsewhere Ebikes are designed I believe for assisting pedalling and not blatting around willy nilly everywhere. This will of course happen as it does with the scooter invasion that is currently popular.

I generally run at about 16 mph - i.e. just about the ebike cutoff speed.
In windless conditions on flat roads I am often at about 17 mph once I get up to speed - clearly the ebike motor helps me get there faster but other than that I mostly stay just over it - but then I probably drop down a bit and the motor helps me go back up again

On which basis if the cutoff speed was higher - I would probably go higher - and 15 mph is quite enough for a bike (IMO)

If the cutoff speed was 20 mph then people would go at 20 mph - including on shared paths, tracks and tow paths - every ebike I have had (4 to date) has encouraged me up to that speed. If I come across other cyclists on narrow paths (often tow paths) then I normally knock the assistance off in order to stay behind them easily.

And, of course, there isn;t much support for it across the country - as demonstrated by 2 recent government petitions in spite of a lot of people pushing them on the ebike forums etc

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/332333

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I have a strange sense of déja vu.

How long until we get to Stalingrad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom