Max speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Biker man
The question you asked relates to a business interest changing bike speed for a faster maximum.
Cars, from all over the world are driven in towns close to you, which have restricted speeds on roads of around 30mph, and these restrictions are in place for public safety (thankfully).
Legislation mandates those speeds based on many factors, and cars are able to go faster if driven this way.
Same for bikes.
The Uk has its data which sets the maximum, thankfully business interest don’t override public safety.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yep 60-70 mph downhill on a bike is fine in the right circumstances. That generally means good long sight lines , no sharp bends, and little to no traffic.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bear in mind that my mate's attempt to break 100kph (see Garmin photo upthread) took him a good few attempts down Slack Hill, over the course of a couple of days with someone in a van driving him back to the top each time. It's not a frequent occurrence.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

@Biker man
The question you asked relates to a business interest changing bike speed for a faster maximum.
Cars, from all over the world are driven in towns close to you, which have restricted speeds on roads of around 30mph, and these restrictions are in place for public safety (thankfully).
Legislation mandates those speeds based on many factors, and cars are able to go faster if driven this way.
Same for bikes.
The Uk has its data which sets the maximum, thankfully business interest don’t override public safety.
Tell that to the chap who claims to have done 70mph.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Don't know yet certain regardless.

Marvellous stuff!
🤔can't make my mind up if you are pulling my leg or not but one thing is certain anyone who attempt s that sort of speed on a bike is irresponsible think of the ambulance and Dr nurses and folk just because you want a thrill irresponsible.
Don't know yet certain regardless.

Marvellous stuff!

I think you miss the point.
Tell that to the chap who claims to have done 70mph.

Raising available assisted speed will affect those in towns and cities much more, including non-cyclists.
70mph which you rfpefer to is very unlikely to have been done in a zone where 30mph is not the maximum.

It stand to sensible reason that increased speed availability will increase speed…. That’s not, and shouldn’t ever be just within the realms of what any business need craves.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Does the national speed limit apply to bikes? If so remember - no more than 60mph on a two way road, and save your 70mph attempts for dual carriageways - of course, if the police see you you may be done for 'riding furiously' even if you argue the limits don't apply to you, and remember, no drafting motor vehicles on a public highway!

classic33

Leg End Member
Seems somewhat ironic that posters who were warning about the dire consequences of raising the assisted speed for e-bikes have diverted the thread into one about riding bikes safely at speeds up to 70mph!
There's a difference between getting to that speed without mechanical aid on the odd occasion and wanting to be able to ride around, with no input from yourself all the time, at a speed that most wouldn't achieve uphill whilst still saying you're cycling.

Doing the latter isn't cycling for me.

classic33

Leg End Member
Does the national speed limit apply to bikes? If so remember - no more than 60mph on a two way road, and save your 70mph attempts for dual carriageways - of course, if the police see you you may be done for 'riding furiously' even if you argue the limits don't apply to you, and remember, no drafting motor vehicles on a public highway!
No. But it might for an electrically assisted bike, mechanically propelled.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
There's a difference between getting to that speed without mechanical aid on the odd occasion and wanting to be able to ride around, with no input from yourself all the time, at a speed that most wouldn't achieve uphill whilst still saying you're cycling.

Doing the latter isn't cycling for me.
"with no input from yourself all the time" - Do you ride an e-bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom