Max speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Biker man

Many of us on here have computers which tell us what speed we are doing. And while I wouldn't be looking at mine while doing those sorts of speeds, it will be in the field of view if I have my GoPro on, and if not, then Strava will list the maximum speed when the ride is uploaded to there.

It isn't hard to know what speeds you have reached on a ride, or on a particular segment.

And 60 may be irresponsible on some roads, but on others it is absolutely fine.

"High speeds" (assuming you are talking anything over about 40mph) is certainly not generically irresponsible. It is all about context. There are roads near me where 60 would be perfectly safe if I could go that fast on them. There are others where I probably could reach that speed, but anything over about 25 would be stupidly dangerous.
Bikes are not built for that kind of speeds.

Alex321

Veteran
Bikes are not built for that kind of speeds.
Of course they are. What on earth makes you think otherwise?

Professionals regularly exceed 70mph on (closed road) downhills, and I've never heard of one of their bikes failing as a result of that speed.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Of course they are. What on earth makes you think otherwise?

Professionals regularly exceed 70mph on (closed road) downhills, and I've never heard of one of their bikes failing as a result of that speed.
Brakes the obvious one tyres ect .

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Don't you check yours, with you wanting to go faster?
I do use Zeopoxa cycling app gives me a map of my journey speed and distance calories burned not interested in that . I don't want a lot of speed just be nice if you needed it more interested in NMT myself.

classic33

Leg End Member
I do use Zeopoxa cycling app gives me a map of my journey speed and distance calories burned not interested in that . I don't want a lot of speed just be nice if you needed it more interested in NMT myself.
I meant check your tyres and brakes.

Alex321

Veteran
Brakes the obvious one tyres ect .

"Obvious" as in no real problems. Yes.

You may think it "obvious", but you are simply wrong. Bikes are perfectly capable of travelling at 60-70mph without any issues.

And the speeds we were talking about in the thread, of 40-60mph are most certainly well within the capabilities of any decent bike.

To say bikes are "not built for those kinds of speeds" is just completely false to such an extant that frankly, it is a statement that could only be made by somebody with little knowledge of regular road bikes.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

"Obvious" as in no real problems. Yes.

You may think it "obvious", but you are simply wrong. Bikes are perfectly capable of travelling at 60-70mph without any issues.

And the speeds we were talking about in the thread, of 40-60mph are most certainly well within the capabilities of any decent bike.

To say bikes are "not built for those kinds of speeds" is just completely false to such an extant that frankly, it is a statement that could only be made by somebody with little knowledge of regular road bikes.
I got enough knowledge to that them kind of speeds on a bike is bonkers .

Alex321

Veteran
I got enough knowledge to that them kind of speeds on a bike is bonkers .
No. You don't.

If you had that much knowledge, then you would know they aren't.

You are extrapolating from the fact that such speeds would scare you, and just not knowing what it is like for experienced road cyclists.

You can know that those speeds would be bonkers for you. But you are just simply wrong to suggest they are generically bonkers, and saying so just proves that you don't have the knowledge to judge.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

No. You don't.

If you had that much knowledge, then you would know they aren't.

You are extrapolating from the fact that such speeds would scare you, and just not knowing what it is like for experienced road cyclists.

You can know that those speeds would be bonkers for you. But you are just simply wrong to suggest they are generically bonkers, and saying so just proves that you don't have the knowledge to judge.
I think most people would think that is bonkers including the police maybe you are on a different planet 😅.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom