Max speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As a reasonably fit person of my age and using a cycle as transport I can average 15, 18 miles an hour if I have to be somewhere. I suspect this true for many who cycle a lot. If I encounter a big hill I can roll up to 40 odd miles an hour. Obviously on a cycle path this would be stupid if it were busy or shared. The very high speeds are done by athletes in a controlled environment. As has been mentioned elsewhere Ebikes are designed I believe for assisting pedalling and not blatting around willy nilly everywhere. This will of course happen as it does with the scooter invasion that is currently popular.

I generally run at about 16 mph - i.e. just about the ebike cutoff speed.
In windless conditions on flat roads I am often at about 17 mph once I get up to speed - clearly the ebike motor helps me get there faster but other than that I mostly stay just over it - but then I probably drop down a bit and the motor helps me go back up again

On which basis if the cutoff speed was higher - I would probably go higher - and 15 mph is quite enough for a bike (IMO)

If the cutoff speed was 20 mph then people would go at 20 mph - including on shared paths, tracks and tow paths - every ebike I have had (4 to date) has encouraged me up to that speed. If I come across other cyclists on narrow paths (often tow paths) then I normally knock the assistance off in order to stay behind them easily.

And, of course, there isn;t much support for it across the country - as demonstrated by 2 recent government petitions in spite of a lot of people pushing them on the ebike forums etc

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/332333

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes I would like a 18 or 20,mph ebike just to get home faster when rain is coming in on the Moors.I certainly would not use it on cycle track or in towns unfortunately some idiots would .As for doing 70mph on a bike is beyond belief and Who ever does or tries should be locked up.

Pedal harder

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I have a strange sense of déja vu.

How long until we get to Stalingrad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom